Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things went down in value.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
addh79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Things went down in value. Reply with quote

I could of sworn that last december I checked out the price of my 73 thing and nada.com valued it at a high reatail of 15,550. I checked today to see how much it went up and noticed it went down. Sad Sad Sad

I wounder why that is?

1973 Volkswagen 181 Thing Convertible

Get Financing
Apply for a loan now

Free Insurance Quote
Free Insurance Quote

Credit Check
Free Credit Report & Score

Get it Appraised
Custom Vehicle Appraisal

Trusted Partners
Title & Registration forms
Donate Your Vehicle
Car Care Center
Classic Car Resources
Collector Insurance Guide
Classic Car Buying Tips
Car Care Center

December 02, 2007
print this page
email a friend

PRICING

Original MSRP: $2,750 Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $5,325 $9,075 $15,300
TOTAL PRICE $5,325 $9,075 $15,300

NEXT STEPS

New Car Prices, Reviews & Info
Free NEW car dealer Quote
Get DMV Forms to transfer title
FREE Credit Report & Score
Credit Problems? Get Financed
Buy a Vehicle
Get vehicle insurance
SELL this Vehicle
Donate this Vehicle

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the downturn in the subprime mortgage market. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all cars have started a downward trend, based off the Muscle cars and their values. high end Muscle cars are no longer bringing top value either. What trends they see, we usually see as well.

Just my 2 cents
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Probably the downturn in the subprime mortgage market. Wink

Sun spots.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasonal price shift.

Look at it again in Spring of '08.

Rule of thumb: sell convertibles and motorcycles in March, April, May for maximum profits.
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one even place a value on one of their own children?
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go along with BMWLOCO, can't do much THINGING around here this time of year - temp was 4 this morning and that doesn't include wind chill factor. I have a 74 and not enough heat to keep the windshield clear. I don't think a 73 with a gas heater would be too much better with all the FRESH air that comes in a convertible, especially a 1970s VW Thing. Who wants to buy now and freeze til Spring??
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are totally missing the point. Whether you own a 181 in a year round climant or have one to drive during the mild months, they are still our cars and very unique. The value of these cars are only important to those of us during registration, insuring, and selling. Whether I can sell my beloved 181 for all it's worth or not is dependant on what I feel it's worth. I don't encourage anyone to try and recoup what they have into a car for what they can get out of it. It just doesn't work that way.
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That being said, I was offered a lot more for my car at the VW Classic in Irvine this year than I have in it. By a lot. Unfortunately for the person offering the money, I could not replace my car for what I would have gotten with the increase in prices from our suppliers. Plus, no one can put a value on sentiment.
Talosian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is there are many different kinds of "value." Replacement, average, etc. But the fact is the real value of anything is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller in an open and competitive marketplace.

Just enjoy it. I wouldn't sell mine for any amount unless I knew I could get another immediately and have the fun (and frustrations) of working on it again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value is in the joy that the craftsman brings to his own effort. A wise man once told me to only collect those items that brought me joy.. and that would denote value. Joys is earned not bought or collected or sold.

~~~~ Tonsillitis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scamutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - you saw what happened with Verna - I ended up selling for $6300 - about a $15,000 loss. Continuing with my trend lately of buying high and selling low.

The new owner is a great guy and should be showing his face around here soon. He is a classic BMW guy and this is his first time with a VW. Verna's back to her home state of Texas.

On a better note, I'm now only living about an hour and a half from Kubeltreffen - no excuses for not making it now!
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley ALL values have dropped. I also enjoy the muscle cars and hot rods and those prices have gone down too. I just sold my street rod this summer and the new owner had it appraised, about 20% lower than the appraised value of 2 yrs ago. Be patient, enjoy the car and values will rise again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: