Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat frame color?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanbelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Seat frame color? Reply with quote

Anyone know or have a color code for 57 seat frames? Looks like its a off white color. Super dirty and faded so kind of hard to tell.
Thanks
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not saying this guy knows it all but he's done a nice job with good documentation with much attention to detail.
Take a look and go from there.

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_15.htm

Dave

(site sometimes doesn't work but come back later and it does ?!?!?)

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the L75 Beige, wolfsburgwest sells it but there is a Krylon rattle can color (Almond) that is real close you can get at Wal Mart or wherever. I just repainted my steering column, column bracket, and turn signal lever housing in the Krylon almond and it looks much better since the PO had painted them RED.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=PAINTL75
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words djkeev, but since I wrote that article, I have learned that the L75 may not be correct. It is very close however.

Rustoleum "Almond" is a dead on for the ivory color, but that paint (and the WW rattelcan Lacquers) are not all that durable. A single stage urethane would be much better for things like seat frames.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After painting my column, bracket, and turn signal housing with a rattle can I ended up taking my seat frames to a local metal fab/powdercoating place. One of the seat lock handles had broken off the seat and needed to be welded anyway so I stopped by for a quote on the welding and powdercoating. It was more and less than I expected...

I had already ground the shaft flat on the handle where it butts up to the locking plate and indexed it by cutting a groove in the center to help hold the handle against the lock plate when they welded it so the clocking would be correct. Anyway, they quoted $30 to weld the handle (which sounded a little high) but only $40 each to blast and powdercoat my seat frames. They had a stocked almond color that matched up to the rattle can nicely and I thought $80 for both seats was more than fair.

Consider getting them powdercoated!
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: