Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First time wheel restoration help
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggin'forfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: First time wheel restoration help Reply with quote

I just got a set of Riv's that were rattle-canned black, all but the outside rim. Not a bad look, but I want to strip them and shine them up. I have read about using Aircraft stripper (bought today) and increasing grades of sandpaper to smooth out the rough spots. The paint guy where I bought the stripper was really pushing towards scotchbrite. I tried and failed in a search for info comparing the two but came up empty.

Any info on scotchbrite vs. sandpaper in restoring??
powellscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use your stripper, a wallpaper removal brush and a pressure washer. If there are stubborn spots Scotch-Brite pads might help. Remember sandpaper is gonna scratch the surface, Scotch-Brite not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to do a full polish then glass bead blast them first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggin'forfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. Killerwatt, what do you think...increasing grades (600->200)of sandpaper or scotchbrite?
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To polish aluminum I use a $30 Wal Mart Black and Decker Mouse Sander. Start very carefully to shape any burs or knicks with 120. Then I gradually go from 220 to 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000. Some folks start to polish after 600 but that's a long time polishing. After 2000, I then wet sand with soapy water @ 1500 and then 2000. I polish with Met-al keeping it very fluid continuously adding polish...a long surface time is key. Finally clean up the black polish residue with denatured alchohol and a no scratch soft cloth. That's just how I do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: