Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspächer model heaters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Eberspächer model heaters Reply with quote

What is the difference between the B2, BN2 & BN4 Eberspächer model heaters? I see several on eBay and I would like to buy one for the 66 Camper that I have a deposit on (still waiting for the title). I also see on this Samba site several for sale so perhaps it would be better to buy from this site instead of eBay. I found this really nice site with lots of info on the heaters http://web.telia.com/~u11107929/html/heating.htm.

Do these run on gasoline or diesel fuel and how safe is that? Which model should I look for and what should I look for? If I buy one and it needs repair is there a place or person anyone suggests that I can send it to for a complete rebuild. Or should I just buy the new heaters that have been listed (I think they are different fuels).

Thanks,
Linda
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on the east coast are you? If this guy is still alive he's a source of answers to all your questions and will have the BN4 you need. He called himself "Meister Betrieb" but his real name is Ark Mirvis. He's in Hapotcong, New Jersey at 201-398-6363. This info could be old as I haven't contacted him in awhile. On the west coast there is Crofty, I believe, here on TheSamba.
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the matching heater to your bus is the BN4, I'm currently restoring one for my 67 westy and it's funny and I'm learnig alot.
They run with gasoline, they took it from the tank. This heaters are safe if they are in good codition and if you pay attention to maintenance. New Espar heaters are expensive...
This issue is covered in lots of threads...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/heater_ac.php
post a pic of your westy...
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavi_242
Thanks for the help I am looking at a few heaters for sale but I would rather a refurbished one that I can trust even if I have to pay a lot more for it. If you or others know of where I can find a refurbished one let me know.

I am going to have to wait a few more months for the title for the 66 Westy because they have not files on record but as soon as the DMV says it is in the process I'll pay the rest of the monies as the owner in loosing his home due to foreclosure and he could use the cash as he had to put the bus in storage for me.

My dear father just passed away on Friday and the Samba keeps me from being so sad.

How do I post my picture of the Westy?
Best wishes to all,
Linda
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vermeulen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BN4 in my 66 bus and got it going again . just cleaning all contacts , sparkplug and membraan .
Only need to find an exhaust for it , so if anyone know's a solution for this thnx
SBS UK #71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Grunthaner wrote:

If you or others know of where I can find a refurbished one let me know.

I will restore the one I purchased to get some spare parts... But I thing shipping from Europe isn't a good idea.

I think Crofty refurbished some BN4s and sold it with factory specs settings... So you know what you get is a working unit...

I get mines from ebay.de.

Vermeulen wrote:

Only need to find an exhaust for it , so if anyone know's a solution for this thnx

I'll fix my exhaust this friday... I think this shouldn't be the hardest part to fix in a BN4... Pipe+welder
http://so-42.blogspot.com/2008/02/bn4-process.html
Vermeulen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha xavier how are you . are the manuals i sended you any good ? looks like a new bn4 now , looking good .

greetzz Vermeulen ( Belgium )
SBS UK #71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermeulen wrote:
ha xavier how are you . are the manuals i sended you any good ? looks like a new bn4 now , looking good .

greetzz Vermeulen ( Belgium )

your manuals helped, also helped the ones that a guy at Eberspächer Deutschland sended to me... wiring diagrams for each kind of BN4...

See you!
Stall20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what model would have come in a 57 standard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK should be pretty similar to this one I am restoring

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mine was labeled as model 58-59
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stall20 wrote:
does anyone know what model would have come in a 57 standard?

Here's one from my ex-'58 Standard

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspächer model heaters Reply with quote

Linda Grunthaner wrote:
What is the difference between the B2, BN2 & BN4 Eberspächer model heaters? I see several on eBay and I would like to buy one for the 66 Camper that I have a deposit on (still waiting for the title). I also see on this Samba site several for sale so perhaps it would be better to buy from this site instead of eBay. I found this really nice site with lots of info on the heaters http://web.telia.com/~u11107929/html/heating.htm.

Do these run on gasoline or diesel fuel and how safe is that? Which model should I look for and what should I look for? If I buy one and it needs repair is there a place or person anyone suggests that I can send it to for a complete rebuild. Or should I just buy the new heaters that have been listed (I think they are different fuels).

Thanks,
Linda

As time went by the company made changes/improvements to the heaters. The earlier ones with one glow plug do not fire up as quickly as the later ones with a glow plug AND a spark plug. Some have carburators. I don't know all the differences.
They do run on gasoline, just like the gasoline that the engine runs on.
Is that safe? No, gasoline is a dangerous flammable liquid and completely unsafe.
Is it more unsafe to have a gas heater as well as a gas engine? Well, you already have a tank of fuel there, so.... I wouldn't think so.
The thing is it is pretty easy to find the heater itself, but they rarely come as a complete ready to install unit.... they tend to be missing the exhaust, the switch, the ducting, etc. (note to anyone parting out a bus with a eberspacher)

Here is the Eberspacher in our '56 Westy.
It was buildt before they started using the BN- numbers.
I believe this was a dealer install. It was there when the previous owner bought the bus in the early 70s. The heater says it is a 1957/58:

(These are pictures from when we got the bus, the engine compartment is cleaner now)

I have a 12V BN-4 I am planning to install in my '61.
Stall20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspächer model heaters Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Linda Grunthaner wrote:

Thanks,
Linda

As time went by the company made changes/improvements to the heaters. The earlier ones with one glow plug do not fire up as quickly as the later ones with a glow plug AND a spark plug. Some have carburators. I don't know all the differences.
They do run on gasoline, just like the gasoline that the engine runs on.
Is that safe? No, gasoline is a dangerous flammable liquid and completely unsafe.
Is it more unsafe to have a gas heater as well as a gas engine? Well, you already have a tank of fuel there, so.... I wouldn't think so.
The thing is it is pretty easy to find the heater itself, but they rarely come as a complete ready to install unit.... they tend to be missing the exhaust, the switch, the ducting, etc. (note to anyone parting out a bus with a eberspacher)

Here is the Eberspacher in our '56 Westy.
It was buildt before they started using the BN- numbers.
I believe this was a dealer install. It was there when the previous owner bought the bus in the early 70s. The heater says it is a 1957/58:

(These are pictures from when we got the bus, the engine compartment is cleaner now)

I have a 12V BN-4 I am planning to install in my '61.

Thank you. Im in need of one if anyone has or nows someone willing to sell. my 57 came with one factory or dealer install Im not sure but want to get one back in there working or not. anyone know what the M-Code is for the gas heater? (is there even one?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nightfallofdiamonds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspächer model heaters Reply with quote

Stall20 wrote:

anyone know what the M-Code is for the gas heater? (is there even one?)

119 Eberspacher BN4 gas heater All except Ambulance

WANTED: Sand Green Rear Apron
Soft Green Cargo Door Panels
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are some pics of my freshly rebuilt BN4 in working order. Very Happy Very Happy

a happy man with this piece of art!

Link

Today Ill set it up to factory specs... =D
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'ai vraiment aimé cette vidéo. Merci pour la faire ! Je suis intéressé à voir vos notes montrer comment vous avez calibré la pompe d'essence.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BN numbers refer to Benzin (gasoline) and the number 2, 4, 6 is the heat input in Kcals. DA-6, as used in a diesel vanagon is a diesel auxilliairy heater with 6kcals input.
I don't know what number was used in different early buses, but BN-4 probably would have been stock
If you are looking to be original, that is. If you are just looking for camping heat, these are not the best choice. Probably Carver, Propex or Truma lp heaters are much better. Or the newer Espar heaters, DL-1C comes to mind.All these are expensive Like $600=$1100. But they are quiet and use very little electricity and fuel.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
J'ai vraiment aimé cette vidéo. Merci pour la faire ! Je suis intéressé à voir vos notes montrer comment vous avez calibré la pompe d'essence.

I don't speak french Major Woody... Very Happy
Catalan is a spanish dialect spoken in Catalonia, that is next to France... So pronunciation can be little similar...

Yesterday I calibred Pressure regulator - Valve Solenoid. This part should deliver 20-21cm3 of fuel in 2 minutes... So it's not difficult...

Also calibrated temp regulator switch but not finished...
Tonight I'll post pics.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:

Catalan is a spanish dialect spoken in Catalonia, that is next to France... So pronunciation can be little similar...

beg your pardon? catalan is NOT a dialect but rather a language

oh! I am out of topic Smile
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah crap. Embarassed
Babelfish doesn't have an English to Catalan converter. Thank goodness your English is so good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: