Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary Battery Help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_Flagstaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary Battery Help Reply with quote

I am getting ready to install an auxiliary battery in my 84 westfalia. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of battery to use? I have heard that the optima batteries work well as long as you cut the posts off the top and lay them sideways. I'm looking for something that will fit underneath my driver seat and still have enough amp hours to run my stereo, lights, etc. I plan on hooking up a solar panel in the near future, which will charge this auxiliary battery. Not sure if there is anything new on the market that I am not aware of. Also...is it worth the money to buy the auxiliary battery hook up from Gowest.com if there is already a relay in my vehicle? Not sure if the factory relays work well or if it's better to replace them. Any help would be great. Thanks. Matt

Past VW's: 1962 Westy, 1967 bug, 1974 Westy, 1972 Westy, and 1978 Westy
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search function Matt, the search function shall set you free!

All kidding aside, you're new (based on your posts), and we all welcome you to this great forum. This topic has come up many times, and you will find wiring diagrams to change from a relay to an "equalizer", as well as what deep cycle batteries are recommended, and DOGPILOT has posted about using solar panels with great success. I have just the relay, and my deep cycle battery from INTERSTATE batteries works fine for my application.

Give it a try. click "search", use "dual battery" as the key words, then select Vanagon/Eurovan as the forum to search in.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An approach I used was the basic backup battery configuration using the hellroaring battery islolator. I switched an optima yellow top into place for my main battery (slight mods to battery box to squeeze it in on it's side) and moved the "old" battery over behind the driver's seat.

http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.php

I went to a wrecker and took two main cable grommets from two donor vans and ran battery cable down, under, and across, between the two battery boxes.

The advantage of this is that you drive all electrics from the main circuit knowing that if the main battery runs too low to re-start the van, then you can switch the backup into action and start it that way.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have the relay, you don't really need their kit. I can send you a copy of the instructions they sent me and you can probably figure it out. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a second battery, a normal group 41 car battery will work. It's just not a true deep cycle battery so it's life will be shorter, but they cost $50 verses $160. I've been successfully using a normal second battery for two years now and it seems to be fine. I even have a third true deep cycle battery hooked up in parallel under the sink.

There's a lot of posts that say the stock relay is junk, but it's worked fine for me for a long time now. I've used those other type battery isolators and they go bad after a while too.

Send me your email and I'll send you the instructions I have.

Good luck!
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt...

I have an Optima yellow top. Works fine but fitment is a problem. Take a look at the Odyssey batteries. There is a model that will fit under the drivers seat and still allow use of the existing compartment door and seat rotation. I'm bummed I got the Optima but at the time we didn't know there was an alternative. I'll be getting an Odyssey when (if) it wears out.

Do a search here for the exact model that fits.

Odysseys cost about the same as the Optima and are an A1 quality product. We use them on all of our fire engines, and if Ken our mechanic likes them they are the bomb....he's a picky b$#ch!!!

Just my .02
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
dpdunrite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the odesey 1200c battery from my local oddesy battery supplier and a relay from go westy and will be installing it next weekend. The battery size allows for the relay to be installed right beside the battery with spare room in the driver side storage tray. The directions for installation of the relay and battery after review seems to be relitivly simple.

Check where your local oddesy battery dealer is and you can eliminate about $25.00 shipping .

http://www.odysseysoutheast.com/pc1200-battery.php

DP
"Niles" 85 xj6 Jaguar Sauveriegn
"Al" 07 Cheverolet Silverado Z71 LT crewcab
"Soney" 78 18' Sunrunner runabout
"Kelly" Wife
"Kirby" Black Lab
"Bear" Black cat
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a write up I did when I did my install on my 82 Westy. Your Westy should already have the relay in the aux compartment.

Also I just used a regular Type 41 battery - works fine for me but I have not charged/discharged it to deathe either. Your results may vary....

Good luck it is pretty easy to add the battery.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259835&highlight=
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Optima Reply with quote

I got my optima to fit on its side with just a minor cut to the edge of the compartment. Swivel and battery door both work as normal.
Pic and explanation here....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218259&highlight=

sc-surfer wrote:
Matt...

I have an Optima yellow top. Works fine but fitment is a problem. Take a look at the Odyssey batteries. There is a model that will fit under the drivers seat and still allow use of the existing compartment door and seat rotation. I'm bummed I got the Optima but at the time we didn't know there was an alternative. I'll be getting an Odyssey when (if) it wears out.

Do a search here for the exact model that fits.

Odysseys cost about the same as the Optima and are an A1 quality product. We use them on all of our fire engines, and if Ken our mechanic likes them they are the bomb....he's a picky b$#ch!!!

Just my .02

'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with PDXWesty

normal starter battery has served me well...weekends and weeks

I use a split charge relay that switches when the engine is running to recharge the aux and the starter
these relays cost pennies and are widely available
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
..... If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a second battery, a normal group 41 car battery will work. It's just not a true deep cycle battery so it's life will be shorter, but they cost $50 verses $160.

I wish I had gone with a group 41 battery. I spent more on a small battery (same as small GW deep cycle.... I think) than a larger capacity group 41 type. Though it works, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have as many amp hours as the group 41.

Initially I was concerned about off gassing from a normal starter battery, hence the purchase of a deep cycle.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any off gassing issue, though I could be wrong.

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Matt_Flagstaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone that chimed in. After much reading and research on the topic I have decided to go with the Odyssey PC1200 battery and a Yandina. This will allow me to set up my electrical system to run power in the van without the main battery and also allow me to hook up a morningstar solar charge controller to a panel and my aux. battery. Again...thank you for your help in this matter.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned from my research is that a solar controller for my application was a waste of money. For the amount of time I actually use my solar panel, there's no fear of overcharging. If you had a solar panel perminantly connected and running all day every day, yes you need one. But just for camping?...not really.

I have a 7 amp controller I never hooked up I'll sell you real cheap.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/...unum=31284

riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

Check out Batteries Plus. They have the equivalent 44 amp hour AGM as the Odyssey, but for $ less, and no shipping if you have a local store.

Batteries Plus# WKA12-44C/FR.
Current price is $120. What is the current price on the Odyssey pc1200?

Good choice on the Yandina!

Salud-
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Matt_Flagstaff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: PC1200 Cost Reply with quote

I was able to find a PC1200 for $140 on e-bay.

It'sMeGoddamnIt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Yandina vs. Hellroaring Reply with quote

Matt:
Can you tell me why you decided to go with the Yandina instead of the Hellroaring BIC?

Cheers,

Cody
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: