Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Caster Shims?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwillie65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Caster Shims? Reply with quote

Just wondering if I need to install caster shims in the front if I just lowered with 2.5" drop spindles. It wants to pull pretty hard at slow speeds, but it hasn't been aligned yet. My front end alignment guru said that it could be the toe or possibly that with the new spindles and bushings that it may be just really tight. Just wondering if this may loosen up after driving a while? I will have it aligned Friday. If caster shims will improve my issue, how many shims are needed? 1 pair, or 2 pair? Appreciate any feedback. Think
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have the lowered spindles and don't have the caster shims...it seemed

to drive just fine. So I would be curious to see what others have to say.
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caster will effect high speed stability. Dropped spindles should have no effect on caster. You likely have a toe issue. Caster shims have long been a cure, even on stock beams, for wandering. Adding additional caster will make it a little harder to steer at low speeds.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know once aligned. Have them turn the wheel 'lock-to-lock' and if the caster goes to the red,you need shims. The degree's off will dictate how many shims you need.
die schwarzen Schafe #666
Michaudracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opion is to use one set of shims. I ran mine (dropped 2 1/2 front, stock rear for now) both with and without the shims. Much better and safer with the shims. You may have other alignment issues causing the pulling, but too little caster will show up mostly in high speed stability. Lowering with drop spindles WILL change the caster, unless the rear is lowered exactly the same amount. If you have dropped the rear 2 1/2, then you don't necessarily need to adjust the front.

Think of it like this: View the caster as the angle of the beam relative to the horizontal pavement. If you lower the front only, you have tilted the car forward, changing this angle. Drop spindles use stock geometry and don't compensate for this tilt. Shims will push the bottom of the beam out to restore this angle. The caster actually measures the inclination of the kingpin or a centerline drawn through the upper and lower ball joints, but the beam angle example is easier to visualize.

-Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: