Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Largest possible wheel/tire combination on a stock THING?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlurryDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Largest possible wheel/tire combination on a stock THING? Reply with quote

Hey guys -

Lots of great info & leads on this site!

I recently dug my grandads '73 Thing out of the dirt at the farm, where it's been sitting uncovered since 1992. Many great memories and crazy stories from this car, so I thought it would be a great time to bring it back to life. I am prepping it for street-legal backroad fun, and a run at the Baja 1000. I will probably have a million questions over the next few months, but I thought I'd start with this:

What is the largest/tallest/widest combination of wheels & tires that I can fit on the Thing with the stock suspension? I will modify the fenders if I have to, but I want to keep the stock suspension.

Thanks for your help!
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

measure fom the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender. Subtract 3",then double your measurement. This will give you the height of your tire.
Once you know this,there are tons of different tire configuations you can go with Wink
If plan to run in the Baja 1000,you'll need at least a suspension lift and bigger tires,as well as some extra braces for your ride.
die schwarzen Schafe #666
SlurryDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, great info! Thanks Alan.

I am waiting on the official SCORE rule book to arrive, but some folks have told me that allowable mods are minimal in the stock class, so the plan was to go with stock suspension. A buddy and I rode a lot of the Baja tracks on KLRs a few weeks ago, and when we were done, we said, "Hell, we can do this with FOUR wheels...let's try to get Grandads old Thing!"

...and my wife is now a Thing widow.
SlurryDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I do notive that I am still missing one dimension... width! Is there a readily available offset rim that will allow me to run wider tires? Any Thing fanatics out there that have dealt with this?
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one else is chiming in...
CBPerformance has the rims you need;15x7 aluminum off road wheels.
With these you can run up to a 29" tall tire. Since you plan on using your thing in the SCORE offroad race,you will want an aggressive offroad tire that will still perform somewhat on asphault Wink
die schwarzen Schafe #666
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Largest possible wheel/tire combination on a stock THING? Reply with quote

without mods
wide 5 to 5x114.3 adapters
buggy lug washers( ball seat for wheels and cubicle female seat for lugs)
the washers also allow to take up the extra 2.3 mm of difference

I have 205/60/17 Yokahama Geolander A/Ts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: