Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Height of a 1970 VW Westfalia Camper
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Height of a 1970 VW Westfalia Camper Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to find the exact height (from the factory) of a 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia camper. I know that it's somewhere around 6'+, but I'd like to know what the factory rated the height at. I guess that whatever it was officially documented at that it could still fluctuate a few inches here and there by the type of shocks and tires that you have.

I'm trying to avoid slamming the top of the bus into a typical underground parking garage in Los Angeles and it's tough to get a good accurate measurement with only a tape measure due to slope of the road, etc.

Thanks,
Joseph
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up at the top of the page here.... click Technical -> Manuals -> Type 2 and scroll down to 1970. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things...first of all being to SEARCH--this is yet one more topic that gets covered at least once a month.

Second, don't most parking garages have a sign at the entrance saying what the height is? Seems like it would be easy enough to park your Bus in a parking lot or something and take a quick measurement and see what the height of your Bus is, rather than a number from a 38 year old manual, then compare the height of your Bus to what the parking garage says the height is. I know there is a parking garage at the mall here that makes me nervous everytime I go through it with my Westy, it looks like I'm about to take not only the roof, but my head off as well!! I stopped the Bus the first time I went through it to have a loo, there was at least a foot of clearance.
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to worry about anything that says 6'8", as that gives me no wiggle room. If the garage doesn't say 6'10", I look for someplace else - a daunting challenge in San Francisco.

I now have to park at the international terminal at SFO. The primary parking lot is too low.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it helps to remember when you have put something in the luggage rack. I know that one from first hand bad experience! Hey, stop calling me dumbass! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember pulling into a parking garage a couple of years ago in a stock standard bus. I went in just fine... was looking for a parking space, and heard SCREEEEEEETCH! I forgot about the rack I just installed. I had driven a few feet after hearing the scratching, and was pretty stuck. I had to let air out of the tires to get out. There were plenty of people around who saw the entire incident, and I was definitely a Dick on a Stick, and the aluminum rails on top of the rack were fucked. I now have the different bus' heights measured and memorized, and am prepared before driving into any parking garage. If I think it's gonna be a close one, I stick my body out of the car, and get my eyes even with the top of the bus with driving up to the entrance.

Don't take the word of the manual. Meaure it for yourself.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: