Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring for 1974 Alternator with internal regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatesvillebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Wiring for 1974 Alternator with internal regulator Reply with quote

Howdy from Texas. I am bringing back to life a 1969 Bus. I bought the thing without engine or transaxles, both of which are now installed. The engine came out of a 1974 Beetle, and I have been unable to determine what the three wires coming out of the plug on the internal voltage regulator attach to. One is red, one is green and the other is white. I assume the big connector post to the right of the round plug on top of the alternator goes to the battery + terminal, but I don't know what the three smaller gauge wires go to. I assume one goes to the "idiot" light on the instrument panel, but do not know which one. I am afraid I'll do harm to the alternator if I start connecting those three wires willy-nilly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked in Haynes manuals and all I find is a generic wiring diagram that does not address the three wires.

Thanks for any help,

Bill Herridge, Gatesville, Texas
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you alternator has 3 spade connection coming out the top it is an AL 78 not an AL 82 ( internal) and it takes an EXTERNAL voltage regulator...

this is an AL 78 that used the external regulator under the rear seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and this is the AL 82 unit with the internal regulator inside the alternator housing

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gatesvillebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but I'm somewhat confused. The alternator has a VW part number on it, and is stamped with the VW logo and was made in the US. When I had a local parts house look that number up, it indicated that the 1974 was the ONLY year that particular part number was used. It also showed that alternator to have an internal regulator. I still need to know what the red, green and white wires coming out of the plug on the top of the altnernator are connected to. I have a wiring diagram for a 1969 bus but since the engine now installed came from a 1974 Beetle, my diagram doesn't help with the alternator question. The alternator that is on the engine has a plug similar to the one shown in your photo, but the big connector post is located just to the left of the circular plug. I have no problem jerry-rigging an external alternator but I still need to know what the wires are for coming from the round plug.

Bill Herridge
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatesvillebill wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm somewhat confused. The alternator has a VW part number on it, and is stamped with the VW logo and was made in the US. When I had a local parts house look that number up, it indicated that the 1974 was the ONLY year that particular part number was used. It also showed that alternator to have an internal regulator. I still need to know what the red, green and white wires coming out of the plug on the top of the altnernator are connected to. I have a wiring diagram for a 1969 bus but since the engine now installed came from a 1974 Beetle, my diagram doesn't help with the alternator question. The alternator that is on the engine has a plug similar to the one shown in your photo, but the big connector post is located just to the left of the circular plug. I have no problem jerry-rigging an external alternator but I still need to know what the wires are for coming from the round plug.

Bill Herridge

Simple.. look at a wiring diagram for the 74 type 1...

also what you have is then a MOTOROLA alternator ( look for the M in a circle on the front of the housing) they supplied them and were used as well as the Bosch AL 78.. but if it has 3 prongs ( no matter what) it is for an external reg.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah this should help too...

BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiefernet where did you get that alternator AL 78?
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Ross wrote:
Kiefernet where did you get that alternator AL 78?

That is a pic that Glenn has posted many times... I do have a couple of used ones on the shelf though.
souwilpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Alt. wiring Reply with quote

This may help too. The Samba has lots of wiring diagrams listed in technical-wiring.

C=Alt. & C1=Regulator
Look to the left hand side.
Thanks to those who have contributed these diagrams.
God Bless!!
thing1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: wiring plug for Motorola regulator Reply with quote

I have a motorola alternator with a remote motorola regulator(Model 8RH2011). The factory plug was cut off the regulator, so I need to know where the wires are to be placed on the three terminals. My colors are: Orange, brown, blue, and white.(the white may be yellow).
marine6282
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my alternator is internally regulated and has a brown wire on the screw to the left of the regulator what does this do???????
thing1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown wire should be the ground. I also have a VW with an internally regualted alternator. I can check tonight to be certain, but brown is always a ground on VW.
mccracki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to convert an externally regulated alternator to an internal? I'm putting a 1600 SuperBeetle engine into a 66 and would like to keep the 66 harness while converting to the 12V system.

Thanks.

Cam
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but you gotta credit me for searchin' out the topic before just posting!

anyways,

So, I have a '74 super I'm working on for a customer. I've put a new alternator on it (motorola). The dash light still won't go out. The reason I installed the new alternator is because the top white section of the alternator that is held on by 2 screws was loose and was causing arcing.

I found the voltage regulator under the back seat. It is a motorola 8RH2011. Is there a possibility that, with the arcing and what not that was going on, it might have shorted something out inside the voltage regulator or something? I guess I don't know what else to check and I'm at my wits end with this thing......

please help!

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: