Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JGE Rader Spacers?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JS VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: JGE Rader Spacers? Reply with quote

I just got some JGE Raders for my 61 Beetle and Some CIP1 Bolts that are way too long. Does anyone know where to get cheap spacers so I can clear my front center caps?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things here:

1- I have the JGE Chrome Radars from CIP1 and the bolts were way too long. I had to bolt the rim to a junk drum and cut the excess off the bolts so they cleared the brakes. The lug bolts are also crap and started to rust.

2- You don't need spacers to clear the front hubs. You do however need to modify the bearing caps (the ones on the drums) by tapping the edges down to clear the lip on the center cap.

I work at a trailer parts place as a parts person so I have bearing caps here and I found the lowest profile cap that would clear the spindle . The overall dimension was smaller around than the stock ones (it had to be to get a lower profile bearing cap) so I took a trailer tow ball and used it to flare the lip out where it goes into the drum. I just hammered it into it and kept test fitting until it fit snug. I then took a body hammer and with the cap on the drum I hammered it into a cone shape all the way around. Now I can run my center caps.

For the drivers side I put some black paint on the tip of the speedo cable and pulled the speedo cable out a little from the back of the spindle. I then put the cap on and pushed the cable in until it hit the bearing cap. I pulled the cap off and now I had a mark for where to drill the hole for the speedo cable. I drilled it slightly smaller and then filed the hole until it was square and put the cap on and pushed the cable through and put my cotter pin in the cable and its good to go.

A little bit of work but its worth it and only cost me $3 for 2 bearing caps.

I can post pics of what I did.

Last edited by Keith on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JS VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure to leave the center flat (about the size of a quarter)when you hammer it into a cone shape so you don't have interference and so you have a spot for the hole you will drill for the speedo cable.
ferfer6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
2 things here:

1- I have the JGE Chrome Radars from CIP1 and the bolts were way too long. I had to bolt the rim to a junk drum and cut the excess off the bolts so they cleared the brakes. The lug bolts are also crap and started to rust.

2- You don't need spacers to clear the front hubs. You do however need to modify the bearing caps (the ones on the drums) by tapping the edges down to clear the lip on the center cap.

I work at a trailer parts place as a parts person so I have bearing caps here and I found the lowest profile cap that would clear the spindle . The overall dimension was smaller around than the stock ones (it had to be to get a lower profile bearing cap) so I took a trailer tow ball and used it to flare the lip out where it goes into the drum. I just hammered it into it and kept test fitting until it fit snug. I then took a body hammer and with the cap on the drum I hammered it into a cone shape all the way around. Now I can run my center caps.

For the drivers side I put some black paint on the tip of the speedo cable and pulled the speedo cable out a little from the back of the spindle. I then put the cap on and pushed the cable in until it hit the bearing cap. I pulled the cap off and now I had a mark for where to drill the hole for the speedo cable. I drilled it slightly smaller and then filed the hole until it was square and put the cap on and pushed the cable through and put my cotter pin in the cable and its good to go.

A little bit of work but its worth it and only cost me $3 for 2 bearing caps.

I can post pics of what I did.

Can you post the pics? I got the Raders too but I haven't mounted them yet.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I will tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: