Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rubbing with 8 spoke wheels
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: rubbing with 8 spoke wheels Reply with quote

if i get drop spindles with 8 spokes...and use 175/55 tires...willl they rub? just want to clarify before i purchase...thanks to everyone who helps!! Laughing Orange Bug Think

keep on "dubbin' "

http://cashcrate.com/416110
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have drop spindles and 8 spokes that are 5.5 wide. i run 145R15 tires and i bent in the inside lip of front fenders and they never rub.

i would think the tires your running are wider then my 145's and plus the drop spindles move your tires out about a 1/2 inch. so i would think your tires would rub.

take a a ruler and imagine your tire being a 1/2 inch further...then you can see if your going to rub..

good luck
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rubbing with 8 spoke wheels Reply with quote

Dasuberstinker wrote:
if i get drop spindles with 8 spokes...and use 175/55 tires...willl they rub? just want to clarify before i purchase...thanks to everyone who helps!! Laughing Orange Bug Think

Yes. Today's 8 spoke wheels will push your tires out about 1/4 inch over stock wheels. Drop spindles will push 'em out another quater to half inch. 175's are about 1/3 inch wider than stock.

So as Conrad says, take a ruler and see where your tire will sit, 2 inches outwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 175/65/15's on just an adjustable beam with Empi 8's I bought about 5 years ago. I have absolutely no rubbing issues with them even with 2 people in the car. The bug is lowered down a good 2.5-3 inches.

As far as your situation goes, the drop spindles will push them out 1/4" on each side; however, your tires will be fairly low profile being only 55 series tires. My front tires are about 23.9" diameter and your would be only 22.5" diameter.

In all, you should be fine running those wheels and tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fake 8 spokes plus drop spindles will rub. If you are set on those wheels you could narrow the beam.
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
fake 8 spokes plus drop spindles will rub. If you are set on those wheels you could narrow the beam.

So, if mine are fake why don't they rub at all? Seriously, before you make a big statement like that check the tire size. The proposed tire size that this guy wants to run will be of a low enough profile that they won't hit the fender lip. The 175/55/15's will be a total of 1.5" shorter than 145's. This will help keep the tires away from the fender wells.

Also, compared to a stock sized tire, the proposed 175/55/15's will be 3 inches shorter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate all the help..i just want to make sure before i shell out all the dough for the wheels that i wont have any problems...i was planning on getting the wheels for when the car is done...but waiting on lowering it tilli have more money....i figured while i was doing it, i would change to discs up front too...but thats a whole other problem in itself, i think..lol

keep on "dubbin' "

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubtype1
Vdubn' Till I Die

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rubbing with 8 spoke wheels Reply with quote

Dasuberstinker wrote:

There is no way you will rub with 175/55s on dropped spindles. I just installed these tires and they are a lot lower profile than 135s, 145s, ect...
Now, if you use an adjustable beam and spindles you will have a great chance of rubbing.

Caleb
'65 Beetle project
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....just worried thats all...anybody out there have this tire/wheel combo with drop spindles?

keep on "dubbin' "

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkbre wrote:
70 140 wrote:

So, if mine are fake why don't they rub at all? Seriously, before you make a big statement like that check the tire size. The proposed tire size that this guy wants to run will be of a low enough profile that they won't hit the fender lip. The 175/55/15's will be a total of 1.5" shorter than 145's. This will help keep the tires away from the fender wells.

Also, compared to a stock sized tire, the proposed 175/55/15's will be 3 inches shorter.

I guess you are special Rolling Eyes

Dasuberstinker I have the conti 175/55-15's I can take some measurements if you need them

You might want to look at the new 8 spokes that CIP is selling - They state that they are different then the American Eagle wheels.... Perhaps the offset is more similar to that of the original EMPI wheels?
dubtype1
Vdubn' Till I Die

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are set on running the eight spokes, then you could look into someone changing the offset of the wheels you buy. Of course this will set you back some more $$$ but if thats what you want, that's an option. Or buy a narrowed beam. Just my 2 cents.

Caleb
'65 Beetle project
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
clarkbre wrote:
70 140 wrote:

I guess you are special Rolling Eyes

Dasuberstinker I have the conti 175/55-15's I can take some measurements if you need them

You might want to look at the new 8 spokes that CIP is selling - They state that they are different then the American Eagle wheels.... Perhaps the offset is more similar to that of the original EMPI wheels?

that would be great...i was looking at this ad for the wheels...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=445283

thanks again!! you guys are AWESOME!! Green Bug

keep on "dubbin' "

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a smokin' deal for those rims!
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why i need to know before i buy em Wink

keep on "dubbin' "

pkane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought AE 8-spokes before I learned about this site. Of course, all literature for the wheel says they fit all 4-lug VWs. They even had a 71 ghia in there photos. I actually called the company and complained that the offset was wrong for Ghias. It fell on deaf ears.

I rolled the lip of my rear fenders slightly and no longer have any rubbing. I would like to lower the front preferably using drop spindles. CIP1 now advertises one that will not increase the track. I have 145's up front.

I am wondering if I simply weighted the front with sandbags until suspension lowers 2.5 inches. Would this be a good test to determine if the combination will rub? Any comments ideas from those with experience would be appreciated.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super, and with the nose down all the way on 145's, I hit bumps and rub, but don't rub otherwise.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awj_woody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you custom paint those rims kirk? i like that bronze and chrome look! Cool
.[]......[]
Dasuberstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout if instead of drop spindles, i go with a 2" narrowed beam with adjusters and the 8 spokes..btw, i got the wheels already...polished.and i have to say..they look awesome in person..better than i thought they would..now i just have to get the car back together lmao Embarassed

keep on "dubbin' "

conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have drop spindles on mine. i would definately suggest a 2" beam. i plan on doing a switch from my stock beam to a 2" beam as soon as i can afford it. the drop spindles move your wheels out.. i think a 1/4" of an inch so you actually only move in your wheel in 3/4" from the fender lip with a 2" beam.

i was looking at CIP1 & CB perf. for the 2" beam and once i bought everything it would be around $450 shipped to me in PA. If you buy one from a guy that makes them they are the same price shipped to me. so i'm going to keep an eye out for a local guy that makes them or selling a used one.

you would think if someone makes the 2" beam and parts... it would be cheaper.. they charge the exact same as a new 2" beam and parts.. if i was able to make one i would sell them for like $100 cheaper then new and make a killing.. sorry for the rant..

good luck..
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are on a '72 super and with an adjust a strut up front mine only rub when I'm in the car and at almost full lock, 135/15 tires. BTW i'm like 2 maybe 3" off the ground up front.

If I run over a coke can laying on it's side the car will crush it. LOWWW

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: