Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cip chrome wheels vs. getting them chromed on your own
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbnova wrote:
Having something chromed can be expensive. Have you got a quote yet?

Years ago, I had an air clean lid that I wanted chromed. This is just the lid, from a Chevy straight six. It was approx 10" diameter and had about an inch of "dish". I called a chromer about two hours from me who advertised in a local hot rod magazine. I explianed exactly what I had, gave him dimensions and told him the condition it was in. It was in its original factory paint, and had no rust at all. Perfect and original. He said he would need to sandblast it so make sure it is clean. I told him I would sandblast it prior to shipping to reduce some labor cost. I also told him I only need to top finished. The bottom (or inside) could be whatever.

He told me $75 plus shipping.

I bought a new air cleaner assembly (chromed) for $20.

Im sure his chrome job wouldve been nice, but that was just way too much for my budget.

For your wheels, if youve got the budget- go for it. They'll probably last alot longer than storebought chrome.

You should never sandblast a part that will get chromed, it makes more work and chrome shops chemically strip off the paint and grime so it stays smooth before polishing the part. If you sand blast it will make it harder for them to smooth it out and you will see tiny pits around the hard to polish areas.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the plater you were talking to is used to doing hard chroming (incredibelly durable but usually not shiny), so the little pits from sandblasting wouldn't be important.

AS far as the Seattle area goes, there are a couple of chrome shops in the industrial district and at least one in Ballard I called. Off topic, but they wanted $600 to rechrome by Ghia Bumpers.
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elitevwclub wrote:
localboy wrote:
Tell me about it. I did a bunch of on-line research/searches for the price. Originally located a company called Santa Ana Plating... who got sold to PCA Industries...who got sold to Artistic Plating who still quoted me the original price quoted by Santa Ana more than a year ago. There are no platers up here (WA. State) who do aluminum or alloy wheels so So Cal it was. I love the look against the black paint.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

hi,
I live in Oregon,I called them but they don't plating for me only for companies and big value Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://www.artisticplating.com/ These guys? Confused I contacted them via phone and spoke with a Kevin. No problem he said. Good quality, price & service. I just passed the info on to Gizmobob as he wants some wheels chromed too and a buddy in our club is sending one wheel down for a curb rash repair.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elitevwclub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
elitevwclub wrote:
localboy wrote:
Tell me about it. I did a bunch of on-line research/searches for the price. Originally located a company called Santa Ana Plating... who got sold to PCA Industries...who got sold to Artistic Plating who still quoted me the original price quoted by Santa Ana more than a year ago. There are no platers up here (WA. State) who do aluminum or alloy wheels so So Cal it was. I love the look against the black paint.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

hi,
I live in Oregon,I called them but they don't plating for me only for companies and big value Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://www.artisticplating.com/ These guys? Confused I contacted them via phone and spoke with a Kevin. No problem he said. Good quality, price & service. I just passed the info on to Gizmobob as he wants some wheels chromed too and a buddy in our club is sending one wheel down for a curb rash repair.

yes,these guys.
Can you send me the phone number what you called?
(they said they used to do for private customer but now just companies)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the crome on my Radars is really nice. I can't really complain about them at all. A few minor blemishes here and there but nothing really noticeable. Besides I drive mine everywhere so rocks are going to end up dinging them here and there.

Now the chrome on there crappy lugbolts is a different story....but those are just pulled out of a Dorman box and shipped.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: