Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fair price for 914 Mahle wheels?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Fair price for 914 Mahle wheels? Reply with quote

I have access to a set of 4 Porsche 914 4 lug Mahle wheels. One has some light rash one one of the "spokes" but otherwise they've just been neglected and need cleaning and polishing. I can probably get the set for $150. Is that a fair price for them?

Also, I'd like to put them on my 76 Super. Based on a thread I've found here, that shouldn't be a problem as long as I watch my tire size. Yes?

TIA

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price for 914 Mahle wheels? Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
I have access to a set of 4 Porsche 914 4 lug Mahle wheels. One has some light rash one one of the "spokes" but otherwise they've just been neglected and need cleaning and polishing. I can probably get the set for $150. Is that a fair price for them?

Also, I'd like to put them on my 76 Super. Based on a thread I've found here, that shouldn't be a problem as long as I watch my tire size. Yes?

TIA

Dave

Yes, that's a fair price.

Yes, don't go wild on the tire sizing. I'd choose a 195/70-15, or 195/65-15, good contact patch, and, depending upon the brand you choose, you'll be close to the stock tire height at around 25"-25.8". Although, you may measure the distance from the tires on there currently and see how much room you have to play with around the front suspension/struts/springs.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want them for $150 i do hahaha. no really i'm serious. if they have the correct center caps and lugs i've seen them average $300-600.

for tires it'll depend on if your lowered any or not. i'm running them on a squareback and have 185/55/15 on front and 195/65/15 out back. a little time polishing and paint detail and they are really nice looking wheels...ken....
Lurchseesu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine with no curb rash at all, all 16 original lugbolts, all 4 original centercaps, and a good set of 195/60R15 Hancook tires on them for $500. For 500 more I could have had the whole 914 (which was my original plan) but I was laid off and couldn't come up with the money and the guy sold it.

and FYI- 195's will rub the struts.

Last edited by Lurchseesu on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got them. I grabbed all the lug studs that were on it (missing probably 4-5 out of the set) and no center caps. I couldn't let them get sent to the crusher. The rest of the car was pretty rusty so there wasn't much else worth saving.

I'll probably clean them up, paint them white, polish the ribs and put them on our 76 Triple White vert. If I need center caps, I may just make a set on the lathe since I'm not really restoring them.
Lurchseesu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock centercaps suck. They're stupid brittle. Sharkskinman got me interested in these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not sure if they would clear the castle nut though (the stock 914 centercaps didn't totally clear them on mine)
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurchseesu wrote:
The stock centercaps suck. They're stupid brittle. Sharkskinman got me interested in these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not sure if they would clear the castle nut though (the stock 914 centercaps didn't totally clear them on mine)

I don't know about Sharkskinman, but this guy - "theandante" - sells those on ebay along with the lugbolt sets,

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtheandanteQQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lugnuts theandante sells are very nice. I highly recommend. I got a set of the 19mm head ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: