Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5-lug 14" bus mags to 4-lug Super
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: 5-lug 14" bus mags to 4-lug Super Reply with quote

Now take it easy...I'm just THINKING of doing this! I have a nice set of 14"rims off my old 71 bus that I would like to put on my super...if it'll work. I realize the wheel size is different. What size tires would go on to make up the difference in circumference. Will the 1" size difference affect my drivetrain enough to say ferget it? (Speedo, higher revs, etc.?) If it CAN be done, should I have the holes in the wheels filled and re-drilled to fit the hubs? I ask because I haven't been able to find any adaptors, andd the wheels would look really cool on the bug. Thanks.[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems a lot of work without much gain. You would need taller tires to match your old tire dia.(less handling). The easiest way to adapt from one bolt pattern to another is to drill the drums- but in this case your bolt patterns conflict(you have 4x130 and 5x112). The bolt patterns are too close to not have bolt holes cross each other. The other issue is wheel offset- stock bus wheels are 5", super wheels are 4 or 4 1/2". Will the bus wheels clear your rear suspension, front struts??

I would look for something easier to install.

Hope this helps. Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: