Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about wheels..
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWLover13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Question about wheels.. Reply with quote

I have a 1973 bug and I want my front tires to be smaller than the back ones. My idea for this was to buy two 15x10 wheels for the back, and two 15x5 wheels for the front. The wheels I have on it now are stock and are 4 lug, so would I have to buy 4 lug wheels for it to fit??

I'm asking because I have someone willing to trade stock wheels for two 15x10 wide five wheels, but I don't know what the wide five means?? Would they fit? Thanks.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide 5 refers the the 205mm 5-lug bolt pattern VW used on type 1 and 3 up through 1967, and on Busses through 1970.

Your 73 is 4-lug. The width of the wheels for your car is simply their size. So you'll just have to buy tires that'll fit your application, and your car. Which leads me to ask, Are your rear fenders stock? If so then 10" wheels and tires will definately not fit under them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWLover13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a baja bug.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Also, just to clarify.. I CAN buy some new wheels (15x10) for the back and put some new tires on it, right? For some reason it seemed like a '73 could only have stock on it when I read what you said. Don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm new at all this.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if the fenders aren't in the way, and they are offset properly you can put huge wheels on there if you want. I think the wheels on my baja are 8", which are good but maybe slightly too wide for the 215-75R15 tires I run. I don't like really wide tires because I like to be able to drive it in the winter, and really wide tires are useless on snow and ice. (I run 195/75R14 tires in the front, which comes out to about the same height as stock 165SR15s were)

Watch running real tall tires as well, especially with a late model like you have, your tranny is already geared "tall" as it is, and tall tires will make it even more so.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWLover13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thanks for the help man.

Oh and do you have 8" on all 4? Or just the back?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? My fronts are 14 inch, I'm pretty sure they are 6" wide - and are non-VW wheels via adapters. Good quality old-school adapters - the wheels and adapters came with my first Baja I got 18 years ago and I just keep running them. My rears are 15x8. Want pics? Here's two, and there's a few more in my Gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: