Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front/rear tire sizes...narrowed beam/dropped rear.....Fuchs
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: front/rear tire sizes...narrowed beam/dropped rear.....Fuchs Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what tire size to roll with. I will be running 5.5x15" Fuchs front, 6x15" deep earlies rear. Currently front beam has been narrowed only 1",I will go to a narrower beam maybe 4" or 6". The rear has not been dropped at this time....probably drop by 2? I have not decided on drilling the drums to match the Porsche pattern or just update to disks front and rear. What do you roll on? Mine is a 1954 Semaphore Oval and trying to decide...please post some pics and best results you've had with this type or similar set up..........
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guy's I know someone out there is running this set up. Need feedback....pics would be great......thx.....54ovsemi..... Confused
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5 front rims with 145/65/15 tires, 5.5 rims in rear with 195/65/15 in rear. 5 inch narrowed beam

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might be helpful too....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a sticky on the top of this forum. theres good tire/wheel size info in the first post toward the end.
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx.....I'll check the link.......
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67203

ol_skul (John) wrote:

Rim & tire sizes:

nü_skül

big & little set-up

I like the big & little look too, but like a more aggressive, tougher looking ride. I also want the better traction to transfer horsepower to the ground (i like big engines), while being able to handle the car safely and not be all squirrely. 5.5's up front and 6's (or early 7's - they look identical to 6's from the side) out back give you a big & little look too (aside from tire selection) because the spokes or lips are not as deep on the 5.5's, whereas your rears will be a little deeper, a little bigger. Subtle, but effective. 135's (23.97" to 23.01" dia.) & 165's (24.74" dia.) look great - from the side!

5.5's are a great choice rim for the front of Beetles. You can run a 175-55-15 tire (22.58" dia.) or better, 175-60-15 (23.27" dia.) {but, hard to get because it's a Euro and Asian market tire (Audi A2 and Nissan MM) or even better, 185-55-15 (23.01" dia.) - identical to a 135 from the side and easily available}. I've got several 185-55-15 tires, and they look "skinny" !!! (Especially, when contrasted to the rears.) Your handling and overall performance will be amazingly improved over a 135/165 or 145/165 tire set-up.

For some reason most 195-50-15's (22.68" dia.) have a very harsh, square sidewall and appear wide and clunky. I'm tellin' ya, the 185's look good! Try Tirerack.com for the best prices. They used to have Kumho 185's for $50, but they are discontinued (except for Europe). I've been running 215-55-15's (24.31" dia.) out back (7" R Fuchs) and probably will go to a wider 225-55-15 tire (24.74" dia.) eventually (so my rear tires will sit on the rims like 205-60-15's (24.69" dia.) - sweet!). Both of these rear tire sizes look like 165's (24.74" dia.) from the side - near identical diameters to 165's.

Many 135's and 145's diameter look very similar, nearly identical to the human eyes. That's because the diameters actually vary by tire brand (and tire pressure used). Basically, 23.0" to 23.5" diameter range. What i'm trying to say is that some 145's look like 135's from the side... Anyway, any larger series tire on the front just doesn't "look right" on a Bug to me (my opinion). Likewise, any tire diameter larger than 24.74" on the rear of a Bug looks too "bloated" to me (my opinion). {I'm only referring to 15" rims - not the modern large (read "huge!") diameter rims...} Also, I do not like 14" or 16" Fuchs on any Bug at all (my opinion).

Personally, i do not like 4.5's (just my opinion) because the spokes actually stick out beyond the lip of the rim, whereas 5.5's have the spokes flush. 6's and 7's are recessed slightly. You can't get any type of performance with a 4.5 rim either. If you like the spokes protruding, then widen a 4.5 to 5.5" or 6". Now, that would be trick. (On a similar front, I'm thinking of widening a pair of 5.5's to 6" to use as fronts on my 356 pre-A. That way i keep the big & little theme (spoke setback) and have a little bit better traction up front. Any edge helps!)

I know i wrote a book, but there's a wealth of info buried in there for you guys.

Thanks,
John.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: