Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cleaning "water" spots on aluminum wheels
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: cleaning "water" spots on aluminum wheels Reply with quote

ive got a set of riviera wheels that i bought used and they are pretty clean except for some spots on the aluminum, like water spots. what is the best way to clean them before polishing them? i have some mothers aluminum polish and a power ball.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the aluminum is raw (no clearcoat) I would get a green (fine) scotch brite pad - even one with a sponge on it from the grocery store will work. And gently scrub.

Assuming you are going to polish anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "spots" actually appear to be the white corrosion in the early stages. i did use a green scotchbrite pad earlier with some aluminum wash by eagle one. i then polished them with mothers aluminum polish and a rag. i can get the power ball to work good.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spots havnt completely disappeared yet. oh, i did use some 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sanded them a bit.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, polishing is basically abrading the surface micron by micron until the surface is shiny. Maybe consider some type of clear coating to protect all of your hard work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: