Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rivieras offroad toughness
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guiseart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Rivieras offroad toughness Reply with quote

I have done a little research on the aftermarket wheels called Rivieras... I have a decent set and I'd like to keep them, but I read in one blog that they were meant for street use and not rough baja use... does anyone know if that is true? I'm not really going to go flying over dunes or anything, but I do plan a larger, meatier tire... suggestions? Will they be okay? I plan on tearing up a few Kansas dirt roads, but that's about it.
Thanks!
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
guiseart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone? Rivieras+fat knobbys=okay?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should work as good as any other round, 15" rim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just run em and see how they hold up. then you can post your results on here for others later.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guiseart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asking to be safe... I know some wheels are "tougher" than others... here is the online article which got me asking, I just didn't know if there was ever anything written about their weakness, I have a 7 year old princes with me almost all the time... not about to put anything on my car that might put me in a bad situation.

AFTERMARKET WHEELS

One of the most popular 4-bolt aftermarket wheels is the Riviera. You can find them in many different disguises of paint and polish. My first 914 had these wheels, and I liked the way they looked. However, this is strictly a street wheel (not auto-x) and should not be used with beefy tires.
superman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried a thread in the off road section? maybe someone in there has used them or knows something about them.

Jesus Saves

70 deluxe bus
74 ghia 1776 dual carb
67 manx clone

various other parts cars.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228364&highlight=superman73sb+bellsouth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a book about building dune buggies & Baja Bugs I read years ago.
In that book they did not recomend alumium wheels because rock & stuff would rip them up,
and you can't hammer alumium back into shape like a steel wheel.
On my Baja back in the 80's I had 15x 5, and 15 x 7" Steel Jackmans.
The limited width of the rivs on the rear of a offroad car could also be an issue for running fat tires on the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: