Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 porsche 914 subaru WRX engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap Reply with quote

roknrol wrote:
The combination of a lightweight 914 chassis, Porsche suspension/ brakes/wheels and Subaru turbo engine are a match made in heaven.

I'm an old school Porsche / VW guy, but we must face the facts here:

VW discontinued development of the air-cooled boxer 4 with the type IV.
That, my friends, was in the mid 1970's.

Today, you need 4 valves/ cylinder and water cooling to attain acceptable levels of power, emission contol and noise mitigation. This is in fact what you get with the Porsche Boxter and Porsche 996 and 997.

If the subaru engine had a VW logo on it no one in the world would dispute if it is legit to put in a 914.

yes, VW quit but others didn't and now Jake Raby has 2.3l engine kits that put out 200hp with FI on street gas. Thats with stockish bore no less and NA not turbo'd. All you need is modern engineering not h2o cooling
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. My kits have changed the way the TIV is looked upon for sure.. And they are cost effective and able to be assembled by anyone!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
They are prone to head gasket problems, but otherwise, I would agree they are a great engine

The first-generation DOHC EJ25 (2.5 liter) which was sold until 1999 had the head gasket problem. It was corrected for the introduction of the second generation SOHC EJ25, 2000 to present.

And for what it's worth, the Subaru 2.0 turbo which in stock form is putting out over 275 horsepower in STI guise, weighs less than a stock 914 2.0 motor.

Not looking to start a flame war, just stating some known facts.

And please don't ask me for the official weights... 'cause I don't have them...LOL Rolling Eyes

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a round about guess then on the weights? Hard to believe a water pumper full of water is less....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
how about a round about guess then on the weights? Hard to believe a water pumper full of water is less....

The only thing I can tell you about weight is the the Subaru boxer motors utilize aluminum-alloy block, heads, and pistons.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Subaru technical manual I found online states the Subaru N/A EJ22 weighs 121 kilograms which equals 266.2 pounds. I don't know if that means with all the "goodies" on top.... I doubt it.

Does anyone know what a 914 motor(s) weigh ?

- Chester
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site which claims they weigh about the same (it's listed as Question 21)... but he uses the term "about X kilograms" a lot and refers to VW type 4 bus engines which may weigh more or less than 914 type 4 motors... I don't know.

- Chester

http://www.rjes.com/html/bellhousing_faq_s.html#bhfaq21
rory_a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
And for what it's worth, the Subaru 2.0 turbo which in stock form is putting out over 275 horsepower in STI guise, weighs less than a stock 914 2.0 motor.

Not looking to start a flame war, just stating some known facts.

- Chester

I may be wrong, but the STI runs about 300 horsepower, with a turbo 2.5. The WRX runs the turbo 2.5 and gets 230 hp, roughly, depending on who writes the numbers. Looks like they upped the WRX's displacement to the STI's 2.5 in 2006, while keeping the power about the same, probably for a more reliable, longer running package. Sorry to nit pick, but those are the facts.

Subarus are super popular here because of the AWD, since we get snow often. Some guys are pushing 500hp out of their drivers, with significant modifications. But those modifications don't add much weight.

This swap might be a little over a struggling college kid's head, but it's not a bad idea. In my eyes it's a hell of a lot better than the more common small block V8 or big V6 conversions. It's keeping the original engine configuration (Flat-4), keeping the weight down, and producing a hell of a lot more power. Plus, you can pick up a turn key turbo 2.0 Subaru engine for less than the cost of a Raby engine kit - no offense to Jake, I'm sure he puts out a good product, but at a fairly hefty price.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
A Subaru technical manual I found online states the Subaru N/A EJ22 weighs 121 kilograms which equals 266.2 pounds. I don't know if that means with all the "goodies" on top.... I doubt it.

Does anyone know what a 914 motor(s) weigh ?

- Chester

with water ???
a 914 engine weighs about 250 lbs. I have picked one up myself, resting som e of it on my knees to move it onto a table.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the following site...

Porsche 2.0 Liter Engine
Total weight, dry approx. 146 kg / 321 lb

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_specs/914_20_tech_specs.htm

And for the Porsche 1.7 & 1.8 Engines
Total weight, dry approx. 126 kg/277 lb

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_specs/914_17_18_tech_specs.htm

turbonium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello My first post! My observation is this....

Most "professional" opinions stink when there is a vested interest at stake. I've come across this time and again. The purists arguments usually hinge on NON-gear head explanations that appeal to your emotions. That's because technically they don't have a leg to stand on.

Notice these professionals rarely give you any advice that is actually helpful. They will try and dissuade you at all cost, like all self serving professional do. The more they try, the fishier and smellier it gets. There are even shill posts I've come across on some boards.

Prove me wrong of Mr. Raby why don't you -- give him some constructive advice? Surely you can think of something positive in the swap? You're telling us there are NO merits to the Suby swap? If not I peg you as another shameless self promoter.

More power to those open minded individuals who have the gusto to find the most powerful and cost effective solutions themselves. After all, the thread is about a Suby swap! It's not hey, I'm Mr. Purist let's keep it old school forever and go broke and try and win the Concours D'Elegance. No that would be another thread.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's interesting the number of 1st time posters pitching in and bagging others on this post.

as far as the WRX conversion it's not my cup of tea, but i hope it's going well. any pics of your progress? if you can't find heads at a decent over there have you considered getting them shipped in from overseas? Australia has LOTS of WRX's and our postage costs aren't extreme or find someone where you study that speaks japanese and ship some in from japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbonium wrote:

Most "professional" opinions stink when there is a vested interest at stake. I've come across this time and again. The purists arguments usually hinge on NON-gear head explanations that appeal to your emotions. That's because technically they don't have a leg to stand on.

Notice these professionals rarely give you any advice that is actually helpful. They will try and dissuade you at all cost, like all self serving professional do. The more they try, the fishier and smellier it gets. There are even shill posts I've come across on some boards.

Prove me wrong of Mr. Raby why don't you -- give him some constructive advice? Surely you can think of something positive in the swap? You're telling us there are NO merits to the Suby swap? If not I peg you as another shameless self promoter.

More power to those open minded individuals who have the gusto to find the most powerful and cost effective solutions themselves. After all, the thread is about a Suby swap! It's not hey, I'm Mr. Purist let's keep it old school forever and go broke and try and win the Concours D'Elegance. No that would be another thread.

Powerful and cost effective?? hahaha yep, I have seen bout 5 of these swaps and cost effective are the wack jobs that are crap...
I have seen one subie swap that was done right and did cost alot of $$$$

lots of other options including just turboing a type 4 motor....
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prove me wrong of Mr. Raby why don't you -- give him some constructive advice?

How can constructive advice concern something that will destroy a car?

Quote:
Surely you can think of something positive in the swap?

Sure, its really easy to have better heat. Just add a heater core and plumb in that hot WATER into the cabin.

Quote:
You're telling us there are NO merits to the Suby swap
?
In my opinion... I just posted the only one.

Quote:
If not I peg you as another shameless self promoter

Peg me as a hardcore aircooled Enthusiast. I don't give a rats ass what is done to a car, as long as a radiator isn't installed! Hell you can install an aircooled Turbo Shaft engine in the car making 2,000+ HP and that would be GREAT!

No shame at all in having real beliefs, These days people like me are hard to find- we don't give a damn what you think, about what we think.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
POWER ON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbonium wrote:

The truth hurt's when you hit it on the nail!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No AIRCOOL boys stepping up at this red light.
James D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POWER ON wrote:

The truth hurt's when you hit it on the nail!!!

Erm...in English please?

POWER ON wrote:
No AIRCOOL boys stepping up at this red light.

And this is relevant to fitting a Subaru motor in a 914 on a budget - how?
anthonysch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 porsche 914 subaru WRX engine swap Reply with quote

The purist in me says aaaaaagggggghhhhhh sacrilege. Like having a old jag with a ford 289

Now does this make it a 914 with a subaru engine or a subaru with a 914 body?

The Porsche badges will be removed on your Subaru 914 right, LOL.

Good luck and I will ask the Teutonic gods not to smite you when you drive.

Its been a year so how have you done?
HAUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figure if Im going commit a sin and take the 2.0 out of mine,im going to do it right and put a scat v4 in it. Ample horsepower...but that's just a guess.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Chalon GT conversion with a Chevy 350ci back in 1999 to a 1974 914.
I was able to do all the work myself.
I still have the receipts for the engine swap and it cost less than a comparable engine from Jake.
I saved a lot due to buying a junkyard engine and parts. The biggest expense was the Kennedy Engineering adapter.

It was one hell of a ride and dependable. the only downside to putting more power in a stock 914 is the trans-axle. I couldn't use first gear due to ripping it out in the first trans-axle. I only used 2 thru 4 in my second trans.

I would like to see a 914 powered with a six cylinder turbo charged Subaru engine.
Lets face it, 914's are not rare and one less will make the nice ones worth more eventually.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: 914 blues Reply with quote

sounds like you should find a nice lada or tatra!!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: