Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More Power from my 1200cc????
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: More Power from my 1200cc???? Reply with quote

Does anyone have tips for making my '65 Bug(1200) Go Faster!?!?! I really want some more power without having to pay a lot. (Or put in a new engine) What's best for it? Could I upgrade from a 28 PICT, to a 30/31 PICT carb? Can i get a new exhaust? Distributor? Filter? Anyone with advice, or experience? I'd love to hear from you. Peace out Ya'll!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: More Power from my 1200cc???? Reply with quote

A header with a quiet muffler (if you can still find one...) a Bosch 009 distrib (w electronic ignition if can afford it) and the 30/31 carb would give you a mild increase in power.... providing your old motor is not worn out to begin with!
There is not much else you can do as it does not sound like you have the funds for a Judson supercharger kit or an Okrasa kit...
Make sure your engine serviced and tuned good to start with, Ie heads torqued and valves adjusted, points not closed up and burned, distributor advancing properly... timing correct ect ect....
Or put in a 1600!!!!Smile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: More Power from my 1200cc???? Reply with quote

Thanks For the tip man. The only thing is, I have a 6V system. And i don't think electronic ignition works with 6v does it? Anyways, Does anyone know if their is in fact a significant gain in HP if you install an 009, or are they just better all around. Peace.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: More Power from my 1200cc???? Reply with quote

electronic will work with 6v. You will probably eventually get around to converting to 12, unless your ride is an extremely nice complete original car... the 009 is not neccesarily better than a stock vacume advance or combination vacume mechanical dist.
Many people experience 'flat' spot off idle/acceleration, many times that can be tuned out as it is a timing error or a carb problem but it takes a certain amount of experience to deal with those kind of trouble.
Pull your dist cap and rotor and then suck on the end of the hose going to the vacume can.... if the plate moves good, hold your tongue over the hole and see if it "stays"
if it does it is still good if it 'drifts back' it has a pinhole in the diaphram and is going out. if it does not move the plate and all you get is dirty mouth full of gas fumes then the canister is shot.... at that point most people just put a 009 on as the whole dist is cheaper than a new cannister...
Honestly there is not alot you can squeeeze out of the old 40hp... in your other thread about this it was suggested and I agree, start saving for a 1600...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: More Power from my 1200cc???? Reply with quote

A 1200cc is after all just what it says it is. They will not give you a lot of power by todays standards. personaly I love the old 40 horse and even the 36 horse but you have to learn to love the slow lane if you are going to run one of these engines. My 36 horse gets around 38 mpg, fill it up twice a month for $12 and drive it every day. I could never do that with a 1600cc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: