Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahle Gas Burners and Swing Axle Clearances
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mibinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Mahle Gas Burners and Swing Axle Clearances Reply with quote

I have a set of 5 lug gas burners on the way for my 59 Rag top Beetle. I was looking at the chassis today and noticed that the stock rim/tire combo sits pretty close to the spring plate (body off). The Gas burners have about 4-7/16" of backspacing and the stock rims are at about 3-13/16". This looks like it is going to be very close. Can anyone post up a photo or two and include info regarding the transaxle (long versus short axle) and the tire sizes that you are running with the Mahles? If photos are not available, just a short note about your combination would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that real Gas Burners and 205/70's and re drilled drums will not fit on short axle. They will rub the body mount.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone said my 4 lug baby burners would rub on my 67 square with the 195/65/15s i had planned to run. so i followed advise while waiting and ordered a set of spacers. turns out i didn't need them. all i needed was a few minutes with a grinder to clearance a coupla areas. you could swap to long axles or just figure out how thick a spacer you need. porsche pattern spacers are available in ALOT of widths. tons of them on fleabay...ken....
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
everyone said my 4 lug baby burners would rub on my 67 square with the 195/65/15s i had planned to run..... turns out i didn't need them. all i needed was a few minutes with a grinder to clearance a coupla areas.

Most people don't want to hack their car, that's why they suggested you use spacers.

5 lug Mahles have a huge 42mm offset and will not fit early short axle without spacers. Late long axle is the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I seen this topic, I was planning on buying a set as a spare set just in case the car needs to go to an alignment shop or any other kind of shop. I didnt like the idea of using my 17in wheels for these tasks.
mibinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Gas Burners and Short Axle Reply with quote

Chris W wrote:
I just found out that real Gas Burners and 205/70's and re drilled drums will not fit on short axle. They will rub the body mount.

How much interference are we talking about here? Are you going to utilize a spacer and if so how long? Would converting to a long axle correct the body clearance issue? Do you think that the extra length would then create fender clearance issues? My car is apart and my wheels are not here yet. I am just trying to develop my plan of attack.

Thanks again,

Mike
Chris W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not to bad. I could grind the body mount, but there are many more options for more room. I hope to not have to use a spacer with my new set up. I would have used a spacer before swapping to Type 3 brakes, but the studs were short. Long axle like Bruce said is the way to go.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
luckystiff wrote:
everyone said my 4 lug baby burners would rub on my 67 square with the 195/65/15s i had planned to run..... turns out i didn't need them. all i needed was a few minutes with a grinder to clearance a coupla areas.

Most people don't want to hack their car, that's why they suggested you use spacers.

5 lug Mahles have a huge 42mm offset and will not fit early short axle without spacers. Late long axle is the way to go.

you can't really even tell where i clearanced. no huge hack. kept minimal and cleaned up doesn't equal hack. if so 99.99% of these cars were hacked LONG ago. and the 4 lug burners have the same 42mm offset as the 5 lug. type3 brakes would help some since they are wider and better for redrilling to porsche pattern....ken....
dhp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to use 5/16" spacers for my burners with 205/65 tires on short axles. thats with disk brakes on the rear too
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhp60 wrote:
i had to use 5/16" spacers for my burners with 205/65 tires on short axles. thats with disk brakes on the rear too

I don't know if it makes any difference, but what brand disc brakes did

you use??
dhp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
dhp60 wrote:

you use??

empi porsche pattern w/ ebrake
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhp60 wrote:
hpw wrote:
dhp60 wrote:

you use??

empi porsche pattern w/ ebrake

I hear so much on empi's bad reputation, did you have any issues with

the quality of the brakes?
dhp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the best quality. the caliper bracket needs gussets it bends the caliper toward the rotor. i should of spent the extra and got cb's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: