Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stretching tires onto 6's
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivan_a_t3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: stretching tires onto 6's Reply with quote

i wanted to know if its possible to stretch tires onto a 6j or a 6.5j rim...most guys stretch tires onto 8's and up from what i have seen...i also wanted to do this on my fastback, any ideas on any possible methods or suggestions?
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some 125s, there's some stretch for you.
ivan_a_t3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that would be 125s all around and most likely michelins?
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, why not?
dirtydeedss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, dont do it.....
heres stretch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydeedss wrote:
ha, dont do it.....
heres stretch

Sick.. Shocked
hotair65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are kidding right????? Shocked Shocked Shocked definately not sick. totaly silly. defeates the purpose of building a performance car and then making said car completely unsafe and unstable.

sorry missed the sarcasm!!! Embarassed Embarassed
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude all im sayin is i like the way it looks.. I like the fact its got a vr and i like they way it sits.. Lets not start a practicality and whats "safe" war, cause if i gave a shit i dont think id be drivin a bug
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe stretching tires came from the legal need in Europe to have the edge of the tire tread no farther out than the outer edge of the fender- it was a way to run the widest/lowest offset wheels possible and stay within the technical limits of the law for inspection reasons. Whether their original goals of wide wheels was pointless or not, you'll have to use your own judgment. I think the reason poeple responded to the look of it so well is because the tire sidewalls look like they are deflecting from hard cornering just standing still (the whole "it looks fast just standing still" idea) and the wheels are out farther towards the edge of the car- making it look more aggressive or stable. Now, I have seen very mild stretch look really nice, keeping the viewpoint I just presented in mind. I've also seen pics of, and in real life, cars with tires stretched so far that the rim looks like a pizza cutter and the tire sidewalls are inches away at a 45 degree angle. Certainly this is stupid looking and obviously dangerous. In the end, does it really make sense to start with relatively narrow 6/6.5" wheels and then find one of the narrowest tires available to stretch on to them, especially when said tire contact patch is narrower than stock? At least on the "Eurotrash" cars, the contact patch is at least the stock width.
ivan_a_t3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubercrap wrote:
I believe stretching tires came from the legal need in Europe to have the edge of the tire tread no farther out than the outer edge of the fender- it was a way to run the widest/lowest offset wheels possible and stay within the technical limits of the law for inspection reasons. Whether their original goals of wide wheels was pointless or not, you'll have to use your own judgment. I think the reason poeple responded to the look of it so well is because the tire sidewalls look like they are deflecting from hard cornering just standing still (the whole "it looks fast just standing still" idea) and the wheels are out farther towards the edge of the car- making it look more aggressive or stable. Now, I have seen very mild stretch look really nice, keeping the viewpoint I just presented in mind. I've also seen pics of, and in real life, cars with tires stretched so far that the rim looks like a pizza cutter and the tire sidewalls are inches away at a 45 degree angle. Certainly this is stupid looking and obviously dangerous. In the end, does it really make sense to start with relatively narrow 6/6.5" wheels and then find one of the narrowest tires available to stretch on to them, especially when said tire contact patch is narrower than stock? At least on the "Eurotrash" cars, the contact patch is at least the stock width.

hmm good point, i guess it is a bad idea, thanks for the info!
sano66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotair65 wrote:
you are kidding right????? Shocked Shocked Shocked definately not sick. totaly silly. defeates the purpose of building a performance car and then making said car completely unsafe and unstable.

Its a style.
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sano66 wrote:
hotair65 wrote:

Its a style.

Thank you Laughing
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivan_a_t3 wrote:
ubercrap wrote:

hmm good point, i guess it is a bad idea, thanks for the info!

You can do it if you want, just encouraging people to understand and think before they blindly imitate something.
cavemandan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: