Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing drop spindles on '69 bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cinemawoz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Installing drop spindles on '69 bug? Reply with quote

If anyone here has removed stock spindles on their bug and installed the 2 1/2 drop spindles, how hard was it? how long did it take? Can it be done by a first timer novice? How do you do it?

Thanx Cool
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How novice are you? Have you done oil changes yet? Valve adjustments? Brake rebuilds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put drop spindles on my 69 Convertible. It was pretty straight forward, but I didn't considr a few things and had to scramble to finish it.

You need to make sure your tires wont' rub. Mine did and I had to order some 145's. In the meantime, I abused my front fenders.

I also didn't realize I had disc-brake spindles, and I needed discs and rotors as the old drums wouldn't fit.

I'm a little more organized now, but that was a very stressful day 'cause at the time the Vert was my Daily driver.

Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty straight forward. The biggest trouble that you might run into is some rusted on bolts. I had to cut a few off of old ball joints to get the old ones out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cinemawoz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
How novice are you? Have you done oil changes yet? Valve adjustments? Brake rebuilds?

Nothing on a Bug, I spent years with '55 Chevy's and Novas. So wet behind the ears with VW. I've stripped the bug down, and dynamat'd the ride so far, that's it.
cinemawoz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I put drop spindles on my 69 Convertible. It was pretty straight forward, but I didn't considr a few things and had to scramble to finish it.

You need to make sure your tires wont' rub. Mine did and I had to order some 145's. In the meantime, I abused my front fenders.

I also didn't realize I had disc-brake spindles, and I needed discs and rotors as the old drums wouldn't fit.

I'm a little more organized now, but that was a very stressful day 'cause at the time the Vert was my Daily driver.

Good luck

Thank you, I will consider all that you have mentioned.
campacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I keep lookign at the drop spindles and I think I have a handle on them. They give you the ability to lower the front end up to 2.5 inches right? Next if goign for a strait stock set up to the drop spindles with disk brakes what are all the parts that need to be changed. I hear that there are incompatabilities with the tires and fenders what is that all about?
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drop spindles make the front track wider by something like an inch or so (depending on the make.) add that to the fact that the tire is moved up into the fender 2 1/2 inches and the outside edge of a fat tire will rub on the inside edge of the fender. Skinnier tires, wider fenders or deeper offset wheels are ways to compensate for this change.

I think there's a sticky somewhere that explains this in great detail. Search a little and you'll find a gold mine of information about this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143097
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what Derek wrote .. assuming your car is a disc brake stock suspension setup right now .... and all you add are drop spindles ... you can get with just swapping front tires for 145R15 tires ... that change alone will (should!) avoid rubbing issues.

That size tire is tried and true and pretty common. Also, people tend to use that same size tire up front when they eventually narrow the beam, because again it allows for a lower height when you make your beam narrowed AND adjustable!

Good luck!
campacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I have a stock front end on a standard 73 and I definitely want to go with disk breaks in the front and I keep reading it is a good idea to lower the front. I am planning on going with a set of fiberglass fenders that are 2.5 inches wider so I can get the square headlights, I like the look. Would you recommend getting a drop spindle weld on kit or just go with a new one dropped and sell mine? Would you advise narrowing the beam? If so would a new one already done be narrowed? If not is this something that I could do at home?

now I know that this is out of topic but would you recommend going with the 4 or 5 stud disk or the 5 stud wide? Since I will be changing from drums to disk might as well get it all at once.
Shaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campacker wrote:
ok I have a stock front end on a standard 73 and I definitely want to go with disk breaks in the front and I keep reading it is a good idea to lower the front. I am planning on going with a set of fiberglass fenders that are 2.5 inches wider so I can get the square headlights, I like the look. Would you recommend getting a drop spindle weld on kit or just go with a new one dropped and sell mine? Would you advise narrowing the beam? If so would a new one already done be narrowed? If not is this something that I could do at home?

now I know that this is out of topic but would you recommend going with the 4 or 5 stud disk or the 5 stud wide? Since I will be changing from drums to disk might as well get it all at once.

campacker ... since this thread was originally started by cinemawoz1 and your questions are a great list of new/different things, you would probably benefit from starting a new thread, probably titled something like "general questions about lowering" or something like that.

I don't personally have any experience with widened fenders so i cant help you there. I know that forged spindles are the strongest of the options out there. I also know that most narrowed beams are adjustable, but not always. You can do it yourself if you have time and welding capabilities, but i'd suggest not if you are a novice perhaps. As for the wheel bolt change, that is really a matter of personal preference, I think.

Good luck!
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: dropped spindles Reply with quote

I had CB Performance 2.5" dropped spindles installed on my '68 Beetle and also had to switch to 145R15 Nankang tires to eliminate the stock tires rubbing on the front fenders while turning corners.

Picture of my Beetle with stock shocks, 145R15's, stock drums and original beam:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: