Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex/Propane Install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Propex/Propane Install Reply with quote

I started installing the Propex I got in the mail the other day, but stopped at the propane connection because I was waiting for the tank to arrive. It finally came this afternoon so I rushed down to the hardware store to make the mounts. I bought the tank from gowesty and they offered an adapter mount kit for the Bay buses, so I got it. Turns out, it only adapts the original westy tank mounts to the new tank, so it really did me no good except for some hardware. I cut some "L" shaped mounts out and drilled some holes to mount to the frame. After drilling some holes, it went in easily. I put it on the passenger's side because my intake and exhaust lines for the Propex were on the driver's and I wanted to be able to reach out the slider and turn the valve. I placed the propex in a cabinet behind the drivers seat, it was really easy to install, just time consuming. Here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the tank because the ground clearance is not really an issue, it only sicks down a couple inches below the frame. Boy does this thing heat Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heerojyuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty killer.
Though I'd like to see some pics of the heating unit mounted up.
Cool
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb, do you have any more photos of the install?
Olddog52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, nice flooring. I really dig that vintage stuff. LOL. Sorry Caleb, couldn't resist the jab. Laughing

OH MAN, just realized you took out that cool flecked part where the fridge went. Have you no shame??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
VW Trike with 70 engine.
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Caleb, do you have any more photos of the install?

Yes, please, more pics and details. This seems like the kind of thing a lot of folks would be interested in. After all, winter's coming ... Crying or Very sad
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, i will take some more pics and detailed instructions tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEA LET ME KNOW ABOUT THIS I'M GETTING WORRIED ABOUT FREEZING MY BUTT OF ON THE CASCADE KOMBI -LEAVENWORTH TRIP COMING UP,
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know more info about where this unit (propex) was purchased and how you control the heat output. The LP tank looks good on your bus.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Gotta add it to my list of things to buy. Canada is cold... Razz
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a little more information.

I bought the propex HS2000 Kit from Volks-Cafe: http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1206396154 and the propane tank from gowesty here: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2447&search_phrase=propane&start=

I also sprung for the adapter kit for the bays but did not need it. If you already have a westy propane tank, it will help. If not, don't waste your money, it ended up being expensive hardware for me.

The propex is really easy to hook up. Put it where it is going to go and use the template that comes with it to mark the holes. You have to drill 2 holes in the floor for the intake and exhaust tubes (make sure you check below for lines/frame before cutting). Once these holes are drilled, mount the unit with the 4 screws included. Crawl under the bus and hook up the intake and exhaust lines, I put the intake near the center of the bus and the exhaust on the driver side. Find a good spot for the heat outlet on the cabinet it is in and use a hole saw to make the hole. Insert the vent and run the duct to the unit. The second inlet can be mounted somewhere else on the cabinet to keep a flow of air through the propex.

All that is left is the electrical and gas line. I found a spot on the cabinet for the thermostat and ran the wire down to the unit and plugged it in. Hook up the power and ground and you are set.

The gas line runs down and across to the tank, I used 1/4in copper tubing as recomended. The tank brackets were cut out of angle iron and drilled before being mounted to the tank and the frame. Here are some more pictures of it installed:

I all I am into it for over a grand, expensive but it is worth it. I slept in the bus last night in my driveway to try it out. Awesome!
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job!

I did a very similar project last year in my bus. I used a diesel MIKUNI heater but same idea. Works really well. Like busfreak said it is cold here in Canada! I installed a remote starter on mine for those cold mornings. I have about $500 in mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272094&highlight=
[/img]

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can you use this while driving, or is it just for camping?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't recommend using it while driving but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible. It is marketed and used by me while camping in the winter.
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davis911s do you have a link to the heater you bought off of ebay? I can't seem to find the one you used anymore...
'85 Mercedes 300SD

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davis911s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busfreak- Sorry I won't be of any help. I just looked on Ebay and there are none that I could find. Mine is called at MIKUNI MY16, I was also looking at getting a WEBASTO airtop 2000, but I found the Mikuni for a great deal.

HIWAYCALLIN
- I use mine when driving, I have the heat coming out between my toes, nice and warm! Smile

1973 Westfalia, Camper Special with 75 FI. Automatic 003 . Non-pop top
1977 Porsche 911S Targa, 2.7 L with 5spd
1992 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon (SOLD)
1975 Westfalia (SOLD)
1979 Westfalia (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davis911s wrote:
Busfreak- Sorry I won't be of any help. I just looked on Ebay and there are none that I could find. Mine is called at MIKUNI MY16, I was also looking at getting a WEBASTO airtop 2000, but I found the Mikuni for a great deal.

HIWAYCALLIN
- I use mine when driving, I have the heat coming out between my toes, nice and warm! Smile

Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking every so often. Maybe one will come up? Confused
'85 Mercedes 300SD

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: propex/Propane Install Reply with quote

This Riviera BVW-2 brand, floor-recessed, LPG-fired, warm-air heating system, was specifically designed for modest-sized campervan, such as the 1968~79 VW Type 2, as illustrated above.

The main advantage to this type of heater, is that it does not take up any space in the main passenger cabin or any of the storage lockers, which is the case, with the various types of blown-air heating system, such as the Propex branded units.

Further details of installation, are illustrated in the following book:

John Wickersham, "The Caravan Manual", J. H. Haynes & Company Ltd., 2nd Edition, 1996, Chapter 11 – Installing Space & Water Heaters, pages 127~129, ISBN 1 85960 308 4

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davis911s wrote:

HIWAYCALLIN

nice ... Laughing
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: propex/Propane Install Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

This Riviera BVW-2 brand, floor-recessed, LPG-fired, warm-air heating system, was specifically designed for modest-sized campervan, such as the 1968~79 VW Type 2, as illustrated above.

The main advantage to this type of heater, is that it does not take up any space in the main passenger cabin or any of the storage lockers, which is the case, with the various types of blown-air heating system, such as the Propex branded units.

You know, I was wondering about that. Would it not be possible to mount a Propex on the undercarriage and flush mount the ducts in the floor? My '78 Canadian Westy has a BA6 (no longer functional) which is mounted under the bus and completely contained / protected by a metal belly pan. Couldn't I remove the BA6 and mount the Propex in its place? Heck, if I could do that I might even be able to tie in to the original ductwork to supply aux. heat to the cockpit. Eh?
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: propex/Propane Install Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

You know, I was wondering about that. Would it not be possible to mount a Propex on the undercarriage and flush mount the ducts in the floor? My '78 Canadian Westy has a BA6 (no longer functional) which is mounted under the bus and completely contained / protected by a metal belly pan. Couldn't I remove the BA6 and mount the Propex in its place? Heck, if I could do that I might even be able to tie in to the original ductwork to supply aux. heat to the cockpit. Eh?

I was wondering the same thing. Can a propex be mounted on the belly of the bus, or is it too delicate to the elements (and to costly to replace) that you want to keep it inside?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: