Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

External oil cooler...opinions/pics?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamscottmartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: External oil cooler...opinions/pics? Reply with quote

Planning on building a 2332 turbo motor in the future and was thinking about the oiling/cooling system. After seeing what the stock fan and oil cooler look like I would just as soon assume that with a motor this big you would need an external oil cooler/fan as well as the doghouse fan/shroud (minus stock oil cooler).

From all of the searching I have done on this forum, all I have seen is 'do not go external, use the stock oil cooler if your engine is XXXX size' where XXXX = some phantom displacement size. Would you recommend going with an external cooler/fan if you were building a 2332 turbo?

Also where would you mount it? Behing the doghouse on the firewall? Inside the car? Underneath? Does anyone have pics of an external cooler mounted in their sedan?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting it anywhere in the engine compartment defeats the purpose, since you will just be pre-eating your cooling air.

I would never run it in the cockpit, either.

Under the car, OUT of the airstream for the intake, away from the muffler/headers. So above/near the tranny makes sense, but you'll need a fan to get airflow there. Pretty long runs even then.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also need a full flow case, or have it tapped to accept a full flow. From that you could run an external and an oil filter + the turbo oil lines. My buddy mounted his inside the car, I believe he also had a fan on it.

Note: These images are when the cooler was inside the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He also runs a shot of bio-ethanol when needed (at high boost)

You'll notice the two pictures have different turbo / exhaust setups... He's always changing stuff...LOL It's twin turbo now.

"No matter how a VW breaks down.... You can always make it home on Zipties, Ducktape, and JB Weld...."
-Doug Christen, VW Owner

83 Rabbit GTI - 83 Rabbit LS Custom - 63 Westy - 65 Bug - 64 Baja (Herbie's Studly Cousin) - 91 Audi 90 Quattro 20v - 85 Vw Cabby - 84 VW Scirocco - 69 Beetle (Phantasm Bug) - 78 Cabriolet

Need a VW website built? PM me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I felt the need for an external oil cooler, I'd set it up in addition to the stock unit, not in place of the stock unit.

I'd full flow the case, run the oil to an external canister filter, and then to an oil thermostat. The thermostat would route the oil to the external cooler only above a set temperature. Below that set temperature, the thermostat would send the oil back to the engine, bypassing the external cooler, and let the stock cooler do it's thing. The external cooler's electric fan can also be thermostatically controlled.

The stock doghouse fan shroud will work very well, providing it is installed and set up as intended by the designers. Removing the stock cooler screws with the air flow and would leave a large hole in the shroud where air would escape.
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2

Good info Mailman. I never thought about running an external on a thermostat. I wonder if my buddy is doing that? Hmmmm....

"No matter how a VW breaks down.... You can always make it home on Zipties, Ducktape, and JB Weld...."
-Doug Christen, VW Owner

83 Rabbit GTI - 83 Rabbit LS Custom - 63 Westy - 65 Bug - 64 Baja (Herbie's Studly Cousin) - 91 Audi 90 Quattro 20v - 85 Vw Cabby - 84 VW Scirocco - 69 Beetle (Phantasm Bug) - 78 Cabriolet

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW.. Full flow is a process of drilling and tapping the side of the case to accept hoses at a specific location. The oil flows out one...through a filter, then back to the engine...

Some pics for reference. (Note... This is a Type 3 motor...but you'll get the point.)

-Doug Christen, VW Owner

li_gangyi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens in the middle between the 2 fittings? Do you block it off somehow to force the oil to flow through the filter?
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the first picture, the lateral hole is tapped also, and a brass plug inserted to block the flow between the two hose fittings.

-Doug Christen, VW Owner

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When installing an extra oil cooler on ANY engine, an oil thermostat is really required (but almost always over looked).

Lubricating the engine with oil which is not up to operating temperatures can and will do more harm then good. Cold oil simply will not lubricate!

Lots of guys install oil coolers because its "cool" and they think it makes thier car more racey. But most of the off the shelf units are really trash and don't take anything into consideration except making the sale.

Good and proper instrumentation are a MUST to monitor oil temps on a modified engine. You have to make sure the oil is up to temp BEFORE you step on it and have fun. And you need to know when the engine has had enough fun before you melt things down.

This is not an area to be guessing, unless you like taking apart blown up motors and rebuilding them again. Personally, that gets expensive and I'd rather be driving it then building it again.
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on using an external cooler in the future, with the oil thermostat. What I'd like to do (just for giggles and grins) is to include two dash-mounted "idiot" lights right by the oil temp guage. One would come on when the oil thermostat is open to send oil to the external cooler, and the other would come on when the electric fan was on.

The light for the fan would be easy....I'm not sure how to set up the light for the oil thermostat.

I just think it would be cool (pardon the expression) to be able to monitor the system visually....
83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put in some kind of pressure switch with low LBS for switching.

-Doug Christen, VW Owner

marekv8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to get carried away with this stuff (like I did)-- I would recommend keeping things simple with a full flow filter set-up and only add the external fan-pack cooler with thermostatic switch and other items if warranted.

83_WabbitGTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF Spaghetti batman!

Looks nice though... What is it?

-Doug Christen, VW Owner

monster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished mine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: