Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kits and how to for dual Carbs to the 40Hp
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
shane, good work! The only way you can get those stock 28's to work on a full fan shroud is to mount them waaay up like you did. With such long manifolds, how is throttle response at higher engine speeds?

I didn't fabricate the carb set up, it was made in the '60s by Vanguard. As far as throttle response at the high end, the only thing that I have to compare it to is the past 40hp stock engines I've driven, and I would have to say that it is responsive!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredy a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
I'm making 2 sets. I'm just cutting up the og manifolds to use. One set will have the pci's mounted sideways with a crankbell linkage. The other will have Weber or Berg linkage and the carbs mounted the traditional way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is my manifolds started last day

reason they want work????
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you used 1300 and later manifold parts, which is fine because it appears you don't have the flat port 40hp heads judging by the angle anyways.
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredy a wrote:

Looking at this photo, I'd say you definitely have later single port heads and flange sections...not 40hp stuff.
fredy a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glandnut wrote:
fredy a wrote:

Looking at this photo, I'd say you definitely have later single port heads and flange sections...not 40hp stuff.

my heads it at porting so this is only som old stuff have
and one of the og manifolds i cut what from the engen im biding
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning, Hijacking thread!!!

What would you jet a set dual Solex 28 PCI carbs for a stock 40hp?

Going in an early Bus.. Chokes will be a concern, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I am going to make manifolds and pics will follow.
Shane6 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first put mine together I started with stock jetting. The first and most obvious change that I made was to the accelerator pumps. On the 28 pict 1, I redrilled and moved the linkage rod up (closer to the axis) on the lever, thus reducing the throw. The "without guesswork" book had the cc ratings for one pump of the accelerator pump. I guesed at a little more than 1/2 the rating......2 carbs slightly bigger dispacement.

Through trial and error I was able to work out the best main jet and I beleive I also had to change the air correction jet.

These adjustments were done about 5 years ago and the engine runs killer so I don't remember any of the settings or jet sizes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HenrikBirkl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve22 wrote:
all I can say is

the stock 28PCI is overjetted for the 1200, otherwise it runs just fine.

Sorry for picking up an old topic.
But I think I made that setup.
The linkage arms wasn't mounted like that.
It's a long time since I made it so im a little bit ashamed of the looks of the manifolds. But the car ran sweet, was able to cruise at 110 120 km/h and the engine had quicker response then with a single carb. The milage was good too. Anyhow this was just a build of what was laying around..
I also went for a alternator on my car, again that was what I had on the shelf and it was good too have some power for my 3x65W marshal lights Cool .
A picture from my car.

Best Regards
Henrik, new on the forum Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
1973 MELLOW YELLOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people find PCI's work better than the later PICTS? I guess this gets rid of the bulky choke element that most people dont seem to run on these "old speed" twin carb engines.

Also, what are peoples opinions on using a standard vac distributor as opposed to mechanical 010 or similar? Would you need to run a T piece between the two carbs or would the vacuum from one be enough to get enough advance?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut Premium Member
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the throttle arm/linkage is a big factor as to why people prefer the PCI's over the PICT's. Setting up linkage for running dual PICT's is a big pain in the ass. Also PCI's are used more maybe because of the removable venturi?
HenrikBirkl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1973 MELLOW YELLOW wrote:
Do people find PCI's work better than the later PICTS? I guess this gets rid of the bulky choke element that most people dont seem to run on these "old speed" twin carb engines.

Also, what are peoples opinions on using a standard vac distributor as opposed to mechanical 010 or similar? Would you need to run a T piece between the two carbs or would the vacuum from one be enough to get enough advance?

Thanks

Hi, yes the choke wasn't nessesery to use, and to bulky and uglier.
And as glandnut wrote, the PICT is harder to get the linkage right. bacuse of the choke.

Today, I would have used a mecanical distributor. Otherwise use a T piece for the vacuum advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Formcar 179
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a dual carb set up for my '62 Vert about 30 years ago, used cut up 40 HP manifolds and two matched stock 40 HP 28PICT carbs. I made my own linkage using a steel broom stick and ACE hardware items. There were no jet changes at all. and it seemed to be fine.

It did transform the performance, and until it threw a rod, was bundles of fun. I remember a highway dual with a Porsche 914.. he won, but not by much.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to dig up this thread.. can anyone explain what is the best jetting for a stock 40hp with 2x28PCI's?

i am in the middle of doing the manifolds and linkage, and since i'm not that good at jet testing and carb adjustments, a tested receipt would work fine.

someone said the stock 28PCI are overjetted... well i'm in Eastern Europe so buying sets of jets is not very convenient to me, i'd like to buy the right thing the first time.

Thanks for support

Mihai.
hinrichs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried this kit?

http://www.vwparts.net/CB3284.html

i was thinking about getting it for my 66 but have no clue if itll really work well or not
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrikBirkl wrote:
Steve22 wrote:
all I can say is

the stock 28PCI is overjetted for the 1200, otherwise it runs just fine.

Sorry for picking up an old topic.
But I think I made that setup.
The linkage arms wasn't mounted like that.
It's a long time since I made it so im a little bit ashamed of the looks of the manifolds. But the car ran sweet, was able to cruise at 110 120 km/h and the engine had quicker response then with a single carb. The milage was good too. Anyhow this was just a build of what was laying around..
I also went for a alternator on my car, again that was what I had on the shelf and it was good too have some power for my 3x65W marshal lights Cool .
A picture from my car.

Best Regards
Henrik, new on the forum Very Happy
On the 2nd set up did you have balance tube between the two carbs . Looks like there is one on the first setup. How do u weld the manifolds? what kind of torch do u need ?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aren't the Euro 1300 dp heads mentioned? These heads should fit nicely on the 40hp cylinders, and some company may carry small bore dualport manifolds for dual carb kits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: cb carb system Reply with quote

I have used this carb system 50 to 60 times .I like the fact that the 32 solexes are super simple and come with elec. chokes I live in Canada.they make decent hp and great milage although ive only used them on 1600-2000cc engines .
Todd Penn
fiveohnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first motor I ran was a 40 hp. Built it all up with a bigger oil pump, dog house, formula v roatating assembly and a mild cam. Ran great with the 28 PICT, but after a while I was looking for more power and I modifyed a pair of single port Kadron manifolds to bolt onto my 40 hp. But by the time I finished them I got to thinking about how I was going to have those big carbs, manfold, air filter and linkage all hanging on those tiny manifold studs on the 40 hp heads. Then at the next swapmeet I went to I found a 1600 DP that then later turned into my 1776. That was that and still have that 40 hp (saving for a rainy day).

But since I built that 1776 I often wondered If you could machine some rings to take up the difference in a 1600 DP head so the 40 hp juggs fit in?? A set of stock 1600 DP heads would probably run great with or without dual carbs.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveohnick wrote:

But since I built that 1776 I often wondered If you could machine some rings to take up the difference in a 1600 DP head so the 40 hp juggs fit in?? A set of stock 1600 DP heads would probably run great with or without dual carbs.

Actually, I was thinking - really all you need is to keep the cylinders from floating around - why not just get the cylinder opening welded up at three points, then machined/centered to the size of the 40HP cylinder...
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
fiveohnick wrote:

Actually, I was thinking - really all you need is to keep the cylinders from floating around - why not just get the cylinder opening welded up at three points, then machined/centered to the size of the 40HP cylinder...

At some point in the last year (two?) someone in this forum had a write up about using 1600 heads on a 40 horse. I could not find it, maybe someone who is better at searching?

**edited for accuracy...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: