Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorola External Voltage Regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Motorola External Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

I have a 1974 Super Beetle with a Motorola alternator and voltage regulator. I can't find anyone that has this regulator. Does anyone know where I can find one, or have suggestions as to what I can use as a replacement?
Frizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same alternator on my 74. I found one at checkers but didn't buy it so I'm not sure what the quality was. I ended up doing a bosch internal regulator alternator instead and have been very happy with it.
1974 Beetle
Present VW's
1971 Squareback
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: voltage regulator Reply with quote

Found one at parts america for 23.00. Jeff
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to check the condition of the regulator with an ohmmeter?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no on the ohmmeter, it's an electronic device, so you can only test it by operating it along with the alternator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ( along with others) posted a bunch of information regarding this old style Motorola alt in past threads...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300148&highlight=white+box
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in that thread is an internally regulated alt. My regulator is under the seat.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't even bother and buy a whole new alternator with the regulator built in.

I think the VW parts/repair shop I used to work for might still have an external voltage regulator for the Motorola style alternator. That's the one with the 4-terminal plug coming off of it right? As mentioned above you might be able to source an aftermarket one at national parts stores too.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test the alternator by connecting a test jumper from DF to B+, after removing all three regulator wires on the alternator. Start the engine, but don’t rev it up. At idle the battery voltage increase if the alternator is working. Shut off the engine if the battery voltage exceeds 14.4 V.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noexit wrote:
The one in that thread is an internally regulated alt. My regulator is under the seat.

Sorry the way I read your initial post I thought you were talking about the other Motorola with the white external on the Alt itself.

If you can find one new like Jeff did then that's a cheap price!

Quote:
miller0358
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 pm Post subject: voltage regulator
Found one at parts america for 23.00. Jeff

Otherwise there are few in the classifieds on here from time to time.

Original Motorola!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=726513

The black one in this pic/ad is the kind of "generic" brand you can find through some FLAPS like Jeff did.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=305017
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=204&PTSet=A
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a regulator from my local shop. When he was doing the parts search, he even showed me the connector, which was the correct 4 prong connector that's in my car. But when it arrived, it was the same size and shape as the Motorola in my car, but it was a three prong connector. They figured it was in the wrong box, so they sent it back, and then next one that was sent to them was a Bosch with the same three prong connector, but with an adapter to the same 4 prong connector as in my car, but it was missing the blue wire. Looking at the diagram for the 74 beetle though, I'm confused where this wire goes. Does the blue wire just terminate? It looks like the idiot light is blue, but coming off of the red D+ terminal. So maybe I don't need the blue wire on the regulator?

As a side question, how does the idiot light work?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: