Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater box/Exhaust system diagram...anyone?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkcjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Heater box/Exhaust system diagram...anyone? Reply with quote

So I want to install the heater boxes that came in a box of parts with my new 1970 Campmobile, but before I jump in over my head I was hoping to get an adequate diagram/picture of how they actually are supposed to look when attached. Muir's book, Chilton's, Bentley's are without adequate pics if any of the heater box installation. Can someone help?

Also, the PO gave me a gas heater from a 69 Bug??? to use if I could configure to work with my van....is this possible and/or safe?

I noticed when I had the van up on a rack being inspected a pipe running down the center of the van from front to back wrapped in what appeared to be some type of insulating sleeve...it was completely rusted through on one end and being held on by a zip tie....from the looks of it...it appears to be some type of heater channel..is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

1970 Campmobile in MO
dbo550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a big project if your center channel is jacked up. Try searching the gallery, I know I have seen plenty of pictures on here of what it should look like.
1995 Volvo T5-R, Yellow
1998 Jetta GLX
hatfulofhollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the ratwell site. has some pretty good diagrams and descriptions of the heating system...

http://ratwell.com/
Eventuality takes its toll
79campnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find something to help here also

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm

Good description of heating system
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to figure out how to rebuild and improve the center heat tube.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164108&highlight=center+centre+heat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bkcjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Heater Channel Reply with quote

So I posted a few pics in my gallery of the center heater channel issue along with a photo of my engine.

Scott has some good advice on one of the posts that I'm going to give a shot.

Now I have heater boxes that need to replace the "J" pipes, but could someone look at the pic of my motor and tell me if it looks like I'm missing something. On several of the pics of other VW's I have seen additional flex tubing from the vents or something like that. Sorry I'm so lacking in knowledge on this stuff...new to VW world and lovin' every minute of this. I just want to do it right and with care. Thanks.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKC,

Looking at your engine, it appears to be missing the rear breastplate tin. Can you post some more pics of the engine compartment? Once your heater boxes have replaced the J-tubes, the fresh air hoses that should be attached to your heater boxes pass through the breastplate tin, and are collared there with big rubber grommets. The hoses are hooked up to your fanshroud. Be sure to remove the shroud outlet caps. And good fitting high quality hose clamps to fit around the hoses at the shroud and on the heater boxes. If you are using old heater boxes, make sure they are for Bus and not Beetle, the Beetle ones will have the control arms on the wrong side and won't match up to your heater control cables. And while you're at it, make sure your heater cables operate from the dash. When you push your red lever down, the cable should move in towards the front of the Bus. Doing so, once connected to the heater box, it pulls the flap inside the box open, allowing heated air to go up front. Moving the red lever back up will release the cable and the flap in the heater box will close. If your control cables don't work or you have the wrong heater boxes, you can always wire the box flaps open, but then you would have heat all of the time. From the heater boxes, you need the accordian shaped plastic tubes that connect to your Y pipe. Then, the main pipe that goes up front. Once you're sitting in the driver's seat, the kick lever on the tube under the dash controls heat/defrost. Down is defrost, up is heat, right in the middle is both. Hopefully the lever moves without any problem. If it's sticky, it's kind of hard to move with your foot when driving. Hope this helps.
bkcjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Motor Pic and Heater box installation Reply with quote

I posted another pic (hopefully better) of my engine. Could you let me know where the missing breastplate tin goes? Also does anyone know what the blue heatsink looking device is on the right side of my motor (by the fan shroud)? I obviously do not have the 2inch fresh air tubes for the engine compartment so I will need to pick a pair up. I also posted pics of my heater boxes...can you tell me if they are the correct ones for a 70 campmobile. I'm replacing the center channel heater tube tomorrow and I have yet to find the heater cables. The kick lever under the dash works fine as far as movement is concerned. This has been a great help and I thank you all.

Blessings.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking again, it appears you do have the rear tin on, but I don't see holes for the fresh air hoses in the pic. Is it a solid piece? If the heater boxes have control arms on the outside you can use those. But you will need to find the correct exhaust sytem that will fit. As mentioned, go to Ratwell's site and look for the microfiche diagrams. The bottom diagram in heat exchanger is for your bus, or real close to it. That blue box on your firewall looks like some type of inverter or an amp of some type.
bkcjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Heater Box Issues!?! Reply with quote

Issue 1: The caps on the fan shroud that the fresh air tubes connect to seem to have some type of liquid weld on them making them near impossible to remove. This can't be right..is it?

Issue 2: There are no holes for the tubes to go through to connect to the heater boxes. Am I supposed to create holes or is there a specific piece I need to purchase to modify this?

Issue 3: The PO gave me a gas heater from a 69 bug he said. Can this be used in any way and is it safe.

Item: The blue item on the back wall of engine compartment appears to be a device to attach a second battery. This is something that I was considering anyway...does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

And thank you Jody '71 for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Campmobile - Wilma

Last edited by bkcjones on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an aftermarket rear brestplate tin piece. Leave it there for now, until you find the correct piece which is:

113-119-523 MU BusBoys shows it as "Item Q" in the engine tinwork section. Not shown as available, call in advance. But it is an original piece, they sell quality used German tinwork. I went through 16 pages of classifieds here and did not see one. Bottom line is, you want an original German "rear breastplate tin." It will have 3 holes, one on the left, two on the right. The inboard hole on the right is for the warm air hose that goes up to the oil bath air filter. The outboard hole is for your other fanshroud hose. I saw two original oil baths in classifieds. One did not have the rubber elbow boot that connect the filter to the carb. If you don't use an original oilbath (which IMO you should) then seal the warm air hose hole up somehow. Aluminum furnace tape is a good temporary patch.

Get those caps on your fanshroud outlets however you see fit.

Can't tell you about the gas heater.

Isolator is for the dual battery set-up.

Consider other heater boxes, unless you have a header that will fit the heater box exhaust outlet flanges.
bkcjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In checking the breastplate tin more closely, it does appear to have three holes. one on the left (as you're looking at the motor) and two on the right.

Also, as was mentioned...the heater box flanges do not line up with my exhaust system...do I have the incorrect heater boxes or incorrect exhaust?

I relocated the fuel filter out of the engine compartment and by the tank itself.

I really want to get the heater box issue solved so I can drive my van while it's still cold.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/525059.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: