Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Muffler is the quietest?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quietest exhaust i have ever had on a stock motor was the single quiet pack made by KADRON, which had a two-bolt flange.(late 80's early 90's) don't know if they are still around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:
Whoever said this exhaust doesn't flow has been misinformed. VW trends did a side by side muffler / exhaust comparison and rated this just under a merged extractor and higher than all the rest of the euro-style exhausts. People have said it sounds great and I don't think it's too loud inside, unless you have no insulation or interior, check it out for yourself:

Link
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It may flow, but it still isn't as efficient as a good header and muffler set up... Muffler tone is always a subject of opinion; I don't particularly care for the uneven "subaru" type sound which is what that and dune buggy duals reminds me off. But that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run Spin Tech mufflers on VW's up to and including a 572 ci Chevy. They sound great on a VW and they are only 2 1/2" thick.

You can't beat their guarantee: N.H.R.A. 95db.GUARANTEED

SPIN TECH MUFFLERS, will guarantee you will pass the new NHRA rule with one of our mufflers and remain competitive, or your MONEY BACK!!!Call us for more details
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics of the spin techs installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitodd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thunderbird large flange header with a stinger. It's time to grow up and lose the stinger... but I'm not seeing a lot of choices for a large-flange 12 o'clock bolt pattern. For of-the-shelf, it appears I'm stuck with Empi or Thunderbird. I think I'm going to have my muffler shop of choice do something custom for me. I like it loud, just not stinger loud. Looking for more of a 'throaty' 'I mean business' loud. I think the Mondo-Phatboy style in Jet-coat would fit my cars appearance nice... but I worry about the ground clearance on my lowered car. Think I'm going to have to go custom. The A-1 looks nice though.. going to check them out first since it appears they will custom built them to order.
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
rkeller wrote:
Whoever said this exhaust doesn't flow has been misinformed. VW trends did a side by side muffler / exhaust comparison and rated this just under a merged extractor and higher than all the rest of the euro-style exhausts. People have said it sounds great and I don't think it's too loud inside, unless you have no insulation or interior, check it out for yourself:

Link

It may flow, but it still isn't as efficient as a good header and muffler set up... Muffler tone is always a subject of opinion; I don't particularly care for the uneven "subaru" type sound which is what that and dune buggy duals reminds me off. But that's just me.

rkeller, I guess it depends on the engine. I'd be that your kadron muffler wouldn't hinder the flow of a 1641 with single-throat kadron carburetors much at all, but put it on a 2332 with dual 48mm IDAs spinning to 7500rpms, and you might notice it choking the life out of the motor.

Personally, I don't really care how it performs. I think it looks cheesy as hell and i'd never run one on my car.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBenziger wrote:
Okay fine. I'm throwing John Muir out the window and I'll use a stock muffler. Happy? Gee Whiz.

LOL!!! I just noticed this. What a crybaby.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your certainly right about a "2332 with dual 48mm IDAs spinning to 7500rpms" I wouldn't use this exhaust on that either. Jeff's original post was about a "1776 with dual Kadrons and slightly ported heads" which is what the video shows. It's not too loud to drive around the neighborhood, but when you get on it, it sounds good... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arod wrote:
the quietest exhaust i have ever had on a stock motor was the single quiet pack made by KADRON, which had a two-bolt flange.(late 80's early 90's) don't know if they are still around.

ive got one of those under the house to
cept the muffler is long gone now and i welded on a straight thro style

guitodd wrote:

have a Thunderbird large flange header with a stinger. It's time to grow up and lose the stinger... but I'm not seeing a lot of choices for a large-flange 12 o'clock bolt pattern. For of-the-shelf, it appears I'm stuck with Empi or Thunderbird.

when i replaced the kadron header pictured above i got a 1/1.5" thunderbird header and quiet pack and its one of the quietest mufflers ive ever heard on a vw
my 1776 with cam and blower/40mm dellorto idles quieter than a 1600 with stock peashooters

vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggin_74 wrote:

when i replaced the kadron header pictured above i got a 1/1.5" thunderbird header and quiet pack and its one of the quietest mufflers ive ever heard on a vw
my 1776 with cam and blower/40mm dellorto idles quieter than a 1600 with stock peashooters

I had that same exhaust on my 1600 with dual kadrons, I loved the sound except it made it almost impossible to get the engine in and out as the #2 tube would hit my rear apron, last time i took the engine out i took the exhaust off first (great decision) then i put a 1-3/8 header with a single glass pack, a tad louder and a lot deeper and throaty. Better throttle response too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always took the header off before i drop the motor before i made my valance removable
now i dont even have to jack the car up to drop the motor

nothing ive had cept a stock muffler clears the apron anyway
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggin_74 wrote:
i always took the header off before i drop the motor before i made my valance removable
now i dont even have to jack the car up to drop the motor

I'm definitely doing that to my super
der60er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and whats the difference between:

empi Phatboy for merged headers
a1 muffler for merged headers

a1 is a magnaflow muffler, right ?
and empi fits only on empi headers ?

and is there a sound difference between these 2 mufflers ?

problem is, that I need it for my typ 4

Turbo thomas make some headers, but there fit some mufflers...
which sounds best

empi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ3THk7li_k

a1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCCV0NedhU&feature=channel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoachGhia wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
rkeller wrote:

Link

This is the exhaust I plan to run on my wife's 68 bus. She likes the look of the twin tail pipes rather than a QP hanging off the rear. The engine which I'm building right now is a 1915 with 36 dells, engle 110 and 043 heads with 40/35 valves and slightly larger ports.
rkeller, I guess it depends on the engine. I'd be that your kadron muffler wouldn't hinder the flow of a 1641 with single-throat kadron carburetors much at all, but put it on a 2332 with dual 48mm IDAs spinning to 7500rpms, and you might notice it choking the life out of the motor.

Personally, I don't really care how it performs. I think it looks cheesy as hell and i'd never run one on my car.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for any engine that doesn't need a merged set up, the Bugpack hideaway is the quietest. I even modified one to fit my large flange 40 horse and you can't even hear it run if you are more than about 15 feet away.

If you need a merged setup like I did with my 170hp 2276, Dynomax is a really quiet muffler (I'm using the 2-1/2" Super Turbo muffler) and they have specs posted on their site including displacement and horsepower ranges. The 2-1/4" Dynomax is listed for up to 160 hp, and most other (smaller) applications are listed as 2". I suspect that is even too big for most smaller size VW engines though. I am still playing with the muffler location and setup on my 2 liter, and I might try my 2.5" Magnaflow universal turbo-style muffler next. I still need to locate the muffler in a good spot thought and weld the tubing together.

Andy
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling this exhaust now, well not that one pictured but one just like it. great sound!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der60er wrote:
and whats the difference between:

empi Phatboy for merged headers
a1 muffler for merged headers

Ive run both the empi phat boy and magnaflow phat boy on a standard bugpack 1 5/8 inch header. Both fit the same but the empi wore out REALLY fast and was super loud. the magna flow stuck out further than the empi and would drag a lot on driveways and such (stock height rear) causing it to grind away faster than the empi which just wore out from the inside out.

Since then I put back on my 20 year old S&S turbo tuck and its WAY more quiet...or maybe Im just deaf from those crappy phatboys and long trips!
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have merged dual QP'S for sale,they have to be either 4-tuned or gene berg ones. gene berg don't carry them no more because everyone buys the turbo muff etc.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Hophead wrote:
I still like the sound and the look of dual quietpacks. They look balanced from behind. Not like the large lump hanging off to one side.

I like the classic look and and balanced look of the dual QPs.
None Better, I hope one day they make a strong comeback Exclamation
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: inside or out? Reply with quote

If you are looking for quiet inside then actually an old School Stinger that I run off and on. With a muffler insert is really quiet interior wise Because the exit is so far behind the car even without the insert and wide open exhaust. Outside it louder than a dual quiet pack. I also have a Fat Boy Dynomax Superturbo that is louder inside but outside it quieter than the stinger. I have also ran the fender well tucked Empi Turbo muffler that is Pretty quiet to. The problem with the Phat Boy is that it drags on inclines and large speed bumps.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: