Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greg's Baja Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David58bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the guy who makes the adapters?
roblvgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: spring plate adapters Reply with quote

Hey man, I'm putting a big nut later bus transmission with gear reduction boxes and need to adapt them to spring plates. Does your buddy sell those adaptars, how much and how quick can I get them, please email me asap, [email protected]. I have 2 weeks to get this thing out at sand mountain nv for a bachelor party, thanks alot for you time, robbie.
roblvgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: gear reduction to spring plate adapters!!!!! Reply with quote

Hey man, I'm putting a big nut later bus transmission with gear reduction boxes and need to adapt them to spring plates. Does your buddy sell those adaptars, how much and how quick can I get them, please email me asap, [email protected]. I have 2 weeks to get this thing out at sand mountain nv for a bachelor party, thanks alot for you time, robbie.
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who's inquired about the small nut reduction box adapters, I now have a name and number of the guy who made them. He sells them for $100 + shipping, so PM me if you are interested.

: Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after another long hiatus I've resumed work on the project. Wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the body (baja, cage, etc) and I finally settled on building a baja. Found a body that was in great shape (no rust) and brought it home. Today I cut up the front for a one-piece front end. Still a bit of trimming to get it to fit right, but it's coming along.

My plans are to install a 6 pt cage, and build off of a bit to tie it into the front. I was able to score a Miller Millermatic 210 with tank for $850 here locally, so I'm looking forward to fabbing a bit. I'll probably end up getting the body blasted and clean, and then spray painting it a flat OD green or greenish/tan color. Anyone have suggestions/recommendations for painting the fiberglass hood?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted some updates. Items I've been working on:

- Media blasted body
- Primed and painted body
- Installed new window felt, scrapers, rubber (that sucked)
- Cut the dash for gauges and installed new VDO gauges
- Trimmed one-piece front end and installed dzus fasteners
- Installed air cleaner and other small items
- Reset odometer to almost 0, replaced light gels and cleaned gas

Here are some pics:

Next steps: Mount fuel tank up front, install Painless wiring harness, install door panels and windows, order 6pt cage and then I'm close! Shooting for summer to be driving, we'll see.

nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats going on with your exhaust in the third picture? can warm your hands by it on a cold morning Laughing
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally I was going to be making a caged car instead of a baja, so I had that extender to help clear the engine cage. Now that it's a baja, I'm going to cut it in half - the engine cage would hit otherwise, but at least it won't be so tall. And yes, it would probably work well as a hand heater Smile

Greg
endobear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good.
What did it cost to have the body Media Blasted?
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was about $200-$225 to blast both the inside and out. I'm glad I did, it took off all of the old glue and headliner and made everything nice inside.
CBDZ_CBDZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front rims that you have. They look to be stock. Did you modify them to change the offset? They look as though they stick out further than most.

Looks great though!

http://www.rentabender.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That baja looks great. Less the anaconda muffler Laughing

A better place to talk offroad
ElCuelloRojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that dash setup, looks real clean
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The front rims that you have. They look to be stock. Did you modify them to change the offset? They look as though they stick out further than most.

I found these at Bugorama Sac a few years ago; I was specifically looking for some with a bit more offset than stock and happened to pick up 3 rims for $15 Smile

I've since drilled and mounted my idiot lights above the fuel level gauge which came out nice; no pics at the moment. Tonight I got one of the door panels in and it looks great. I should have some more pics up over the next few days.

Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've slowly been working on miscellaneous items, including fuel tank mount, painless wiring harness, and 6-point roll cage. I decided that I wanted to get the roll cage in first so it quit taking up space in the garage.

This is the Empi 6 pt roll cage which went in much better (and easier) than expected. I only had to trim about 2 inches off of the rear legs and everything is straight and good as can be. I decided to get it fitted, then bolt down to the pans and rear luggage area to allow it to sit how it wanted. I then tack welded it to make everything stay in place, and tomorrow I'll get it fully welded. Without a headliner, I'll be able to weld all the way around the tubes without any issues which means I don't have to take the body off Smile

Anyway, here are some photos from today:

Next steps: Finish wiring, add tubing to strengthen cage and make seat mounts, paint the ugly white front end, and make a front bumper. I'm shooting for June/July to be able to roll down the road. Smile

crane550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, GREAT looking Baja!

Tho I am a little dissapointed. I was going to go for the army green / black rims look too. Just stumbled upon this today, and I showed my wife "see, like THIS!"

Oh well, I won't make you repaint it. Wink

From 1973 Baja Beetle
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been silently working away, finally getting a chance to use my Pro-Tools bender, notcher, and welder. Working on fabbing up a front bumper, still have to tie into the upper part of the beam but coming out nicely for my first time. I plan on adding two 4" Kragen HID lights on the bumper, and a sheet of aluminum to the underside.

Also welded in lower bars inside the roll cage, as well as rectangular tubing from the sides to the tunnel. Cut off the bottom of the slider/tilt mounts and welded to the rectangular tubing, which turned out great. I started with the passengers side so I could use that as my screw-up test Smile

Should have some more pictures soon.

bizmarkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks GREAT!...any reason for having the lower door bar where your seat attachs to bent and not straight?..im just wondering because i was gonna do the same except dont bend it because...well....i dont have a bender lol
Gregorio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
looks GREAT!...any reason for having the lower door bar where your seat attachs to bent and not straight?..im just wondering because i was gonna do the same except dont bend it because...well....i dont have a bender lol

Since those were added after the cage was already in, I wanted to be able to weld all the way around them. That's why I bent the ends upward...
Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think you are doing a great job. Baja's are unique to the individual building them, which is one of the great aspects about them. Keep building it just how you like it!

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: