Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI powered Vanagon questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric.

Nice to see pics of your engine! (shoulda asked to see it when I met you at WW event)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1Z/AHU will fit just fine under the lid without any custom carrier bars or mounts. You would likely want to swap exhaust manifold/turbo/oil return line. Custom exhaust and intake.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rsxr is the subaru 2.5 going to have more power then the tdi??
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"

Last edited by casey79westfalia on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:

Yes, it is a custom pan.
An ALH at 50 degrees with a TDI pump and stock oil filter will not clear the engine compartment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In a syncro it clears the lid ! Not many of us around, ALH @ 50 deg.
I'll dig out some pics of my oil pan, would love to see some of yours.
Here's a pic of my setup...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
So does karl only do the mechanical version and 15 degrees. I think I am wanting the 50 degree and electronic version. I like being able to have the obd capabilities and chip ugrades.

Casey, looks like you're in Baltimore. If you can make it to my shop in the next week, you can see what a nice-n-pretty-clean professionally-built 50-degree m-TDI looks like, and even take it for a spin. I've just finished this particular customer Syncro Westy, I think you'll be impressed with the power. Also, you can check out my first conversion (not so pretty) in my old rusty Syncro rig. I like the earlier engines - you can get a great rebuilt-to-new spec long block from VW, bolt it in using almost all factory parts. The m-TDI is capable of making the same amount of power as the e-TDIs, just a little different tuning.

Give me a shout if you would like to come by - 301.637.2299
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl I probably cant make it this week but I will be talking to you for sure. I am just getting educated on the conversion and want to make sure that the tdi will have enough power for me. I like to drive 70-75 if possible. I want to be able to hit hills and not have to drop speed and shift.

I am really lookig for a 90-91 Orly Blue Vanagon Westfalia Gl. Once I find one I can begin modifying. I will be talking to you about ordering a propex setup and a fridge in the near future, possibly the tdi install. What would i be looking at for a complete tdi install in a 90-91 vanagon. I could do some of the grunt work like removing the old engine and preparing it.

I honestly have no problem with a m-tdi. If it is simpler and runs just as well then why not.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Last edited by casey79westfalia on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Karl I probably cant make it this week but I will be talking to you for sure. I am just getting educated on the conversion and want to make sure that the tdi will have enough power for me. I like to drive 70-75 if possible. I want to be able to hit hills and not have to drop speed and shift.

I am really looking for a 90-91 Orly Blue Vanagon Westfalia Gl. Once I find one I can begin modifying. I will be talking to you about ordering a propex setup and a fridge in the near future, possibly the tdi install. What would i be looking at for a complete tdi install in a 90-91 vanagon. I could do some of the grunt work like removing the old engine and preparing it.

If you can squeeze in a couple hours before Wednesday, this is the one to check out - factory cruise, AC, PS all operational, and the 2.5" custom exhaust incorporates a high-flow catalyst. I'm very proud of this one, it showcases some of my best work. (I get into Frederick occasionally too, so that shortens your turnaround)

This Syncro cruises nicely at 70-75. With the gearing changes we made, 70 mph = 3000 rpm, no need to shift. I drove it down I-81 to southern VA and back and we stayed right in with traffic the whole way. My personal rig makes a little more power than this one and has taller tires, so cruises nicely at 80-85. Very Happy

As far as cost goes, we'd need to sit down and go over what you want as far as options - cost can vary quite a bit. I do the transmission work in-house so we save a little there by avoiding shipment costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang I will see if I can get out there to check it out. I will let you know. I am coming back from the blueridge in Va on Sunday from a wedding maybe I could swing by on my way home. Will you be around sunday mid day?

What year Vanagon is this one that you are working on? Sounds like what I am looking for. I like the cruise,ps,etc. I guess the tdi conversion will not work with an automatic?
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a subaru 2.5 has about 165hp and 165ftlbs of torque.. gets about 17mpg, and costs about 7500 installed

the bostig power is similar to a 2.2 subaru which has about 137hp and 137ft lbs, also about 17mpg at 75mph on the highway

this is from the greaseworks link I gave you
> Basic Syncro TDI conversion with A/C and P/S: ~$18k
> 28-33 MPG, and up to 130hp and 235 ft/lbs torque!

Here is where you are headed
I bought a Syncro Westy to put a 2.5 TDi in it.. had to regear the transaxle, decided to add a decoupler, and a front locker, had to put bigger wheels on it, which meant bigger brakes too, and also a tire carrier...By the time its done, I will have over 30k and 2 years into the project..

Imnsho Karl is one of the best TDi installers in the country. You are very lucky to live near him.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
a subaru 2.5 has about 165hp and 165ftlbs of torque.. gets about 17mpg, and costs about 7500 installed

the bostig power is similar to a 2.2 subaru which has about 137hp and 137ft lbs, also about 17mpg at 75mph on the highway

this is from the greaseworks link I gave you
> Basic Syncro TDI conversion with A/C and P/S: ~$18k
> 28-33 MPG, and up to 130hp and 235 ft/lbs torque!

But for 7500 you could easily have a turbo powered bostig conversion. With much more power than the 2.5 subie. And better mileage too. I get around 22mpg with mine (w/o turbo). I hear the turbo can increase mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

18K for a diesel conversion. Dang....

Jon_slider wrote:
Imnsho Karl is one of the best TDi installers in the country. You are very lucky to live near him.

When i was left with a dead WBX'er and needed to make a choice. Diesel was my first choice. If you have the time to wait on Karl and are willing to give up your left leg to afford the bill then i would would go with Karl. From reading the Yahoo TDI conversion lists he seems very knowledgeable. Although i have no personal experience with him.
The kit that Karl offers looks really sweet. And might just be right up your alley.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first I need to find a van. Then after I find a nice van I can begin putting a kit together. I dont think there is any need to spend 30k for a tdi. It sounds like most people are doing it for around 6-7k. I can always do it myself and just by the kit from karl. I restored an entire 77 westy last year from the ground up in 8 months. I am sure I can do the tdi quicker if i get the parts or have someone install it. I also work full time and have a 2 year old and have been restoring a 62 dc. It will get done. I am just getting involved in vanagons but I have owner corrados, gti's and have played with vr6 and 1.8t conversions before so I am not scared to get my hands dirty.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks are making me drool. Casey, your bay with the camper special that you've got for sale is BEAUTIFUL! If I had the cash I would have already handed it over seconds after your ad went up. You drive that to go meet up and check out Karl's mTDI Syncro Westy and I think the two of you guys would be able to melt the hearts of just about any VW fan out there. Best of luck getting the next dream machine together!

Also, if you do go the TDI route then have a look at the Baltimore biodiesel co-op. I run their fuel in my TDI Jetta and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are a great resource to have around because it isn't all that easy to get regular 24/7 access to B100 while living in a city. Check them out at http://www.baltimorebiodiesel.org/

Last edited by vanagonforever on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am ready to move out of the bay and into a vanagon. Eventhough my bay would probably dust most vanagons on the highway.

I like the tdi for the fact that I can run bio-diesel/better mpg and I will surely be checking them out. Thanks.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:

What year Vanagon is this one that you are working on? Sounds like what I am looking for. I like the cruise,ps,etc. I guess the tdi conversion will not work with an automatic?

The customer Syncro is a '90 and quite gadget-filled if you're into that. Laughing
An automatic is a possibility, but gearing the tranny to take advantage of the TDI's torque make be a challenge.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

But for 7500 you could easily have a turbo powered bostig conversion.

Where? Confused

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

18K for a diesel conversion. Dang....

Can be done for a lot less depending on what you want to put in as far as used vs new, and options.

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

Karl is one of the best TDi installers in the country. You are very lucky to live near him.
When i was left with a dead WBX'er and needed to make a choice. Diesel was my first choice. If you have the time to wait on Karl and are willing to give up your left leg to afford the bill then i would would go with Karl. From reading the Yahoo TDI conversion lists he seems very knowledgeable. Although i have no personal experience with him.
The kit that Karl offers looks really sweet. And might just be right up your alley.

Thanks. Smile Yes, time is not on your side to get into my queue right now...the 15-degree kit on my site won't get him what he wants (50 degree, under lid) but I can point him to where to get the parts.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont misunderstand, 30k includes the van too.

since last August Bostig has had a
"turbo kit, which is currently in development"

There are only a couple of motors that pass the 200ft lb spec.. that currently includes the non turbo SVX, the 1.8T, as well as a chipped TDi

the 1.8T has a raised engine cover

I did also see some Overland PD TDi's at SDM this year, they also had raised engine covers

so the only 2 motors with over 200ft lbs of torque that do not have raised engine covers are the SVX and some, not all TDi's afaik right now
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 foot pounds is a hell of a lot of torque.
That must be a blast to drive.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a Tiico, I've been monitoring that progress over at Foreign Auto Supply in Maine. I also see they offer a turn-key TDi solution.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/Tiico_Turbo_Diesel.html

I don't have first-hand knowledge, just wanted the option to be presented here. Anyone have experience with their turn-key TDi?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Since I have a Tiico, I've been monitoring that progress over at Foreign Auto Supply in Maine. I also see they offer a turn-key TDi solution.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/Tiico_Turbo_Diesel.html

I don't have first-hand knowledge, just wanted the option to be presented here. Anyone have experience with their turn-key TDi?

Nope, sorry, that is not a TDI. It is the predecessor to the TDI, the 1.9TD, AAZ engine code. A blazing 75 hp and 110 ft-lbs of torque. I have extensive experience with the AAZ, prior to moving forward with the m-TDI, and IMO it's not worthwhile doing when an m-TDI is basically the same installation but far better power and efficiency.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Yeah I am ready to move out of the bay and into a vanagon. Eventhough my bay would probably dust most vanagons on the highway.

I like the tdi for the fact that I can run bio-diesel/better mpg and I will surely be checking them out. Thanks.

I have an '87 Westy with a Subaru 2.5 in it if you want to compare it with the Tdi. I'm getting 17 - 23 mpg depending on how fast I drive. 17 mpg at 80+mph and 23 at 55 - 60 mph (but I can hardly ever go that slow). Very Happy

I am just down the road from you, about 1/2 hour south of Baltimore.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: