Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal and steering wheel nut
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: turn signal and steering wheel nut Reply with quote

Hi,

My turn signal lever is stock ! Don't know why but I can't move it to the left.(before it's happend I found a W shaped clip on the floor Sad )
so, I need to take out the steering wheel and check it, could any one tell me what is the steering wheel nut size for 1969 bug?

Thank's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm interested in this also as my car is missing this nut. Is it standard thread or something more funky?

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and steering wheel nut Reply with quote

metoooo wrote:
Hi,

could any one tell me what is the steering wheel nut size for 1969 bug?

Thank's

27mm socket. Loosen the nut part way before you start pulling on the steering wheel towards you, saves your teeth...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You right. I bought 27mm socket, removed the steering wheel and found that the turn signal return machanisem is broken and a plastic peace has jamed the turn lever. I under stand that to fix the return machanisem I have to replace the turn signal lever. What is the best way to replace it ?
Do I need to take out the entire steering wheel base?
TNX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope these help, I just replaced my old turn signal lever about 2 weeks ago and here are some pictures from the removal and installation

Here's the old assemble, I accidentally broke off the turn signal lever...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the back side of it so you have an idea of whats back there.

Here's the steering column with nothing in it.

And here's the new assemble installed.

1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those parts where the replacement parts are vastly inferior to OG SWF ones. Even the new German ones are not as good but they are better than the Chinese/Brazil ones for sale, The German ones aren't cheap but you'll be happy alot longer than buying the others. I tend to stay away from used switches but not a bad idea to look for a used OG SWF one here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
I hope these help, I just replaced my old turn signal lever about 2 weeks ago and here are some pictures from the removal and installation

Here's the old assemble, I accidentally broke off the turn signal lever...

Here's the back side of it so you have an idea of whats back there.

Here's the steering column with nothing in it.

And here's the new assemble installed.

Great pics, thanks.

So, the sequence is...
1. Take out the steering wheel
2. Disconnect the wires from the back terminal in steering wheel base, marking each one position.
3. Take out the 4 screws holding the turn lever.
4. Take out the turn lever.
Instillation is in the reverse order.
Am I right?
GulleyGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle Steering Wheel Nut Reply with quote

For those who have a super beetle . The steering wheel nut size is a 24mm . Razz
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, your '69 will have a slightly different turn signal arrangement. You will have loose wires coming from the turn signal assembly going down the column and up into the trunk area.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to disconnect the battery before starting the job. Makes life easier.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Steering Wheel Nut Reply with quote

GulleyGirl wrote:
For those who have a super beetle . The steering wheel nut size is a 24mm . Razz

I'm missing this nut on my dune buggy and I think I have a Super Beetle column. Is it a 24mm fine thread or coarse thread?
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm and 27mm area the size of the socket needed to remove the late and early steering wheel nut. It is not the thread size. Sorry, but I don't know what size the thread is?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airhead and bughaus say it's an 18mmx1.5

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/steering-wheel-br-complete-w-horn-ring-button

http://www.bughaus.com/steering12.htm
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Steering Wheel Nut Reply with quote

Rathbone wrote:
GulleyGirl wrote:

I'm missing this nut on my dune buggy and I think I have a Super Beetle column. Is it a 24mm fine thread or coarse thread?

24mm isn't the thread size, just the socket size and it depends on what year Super, that is only for 74 onwards, 71 to 73 its 27mm.

Which steering shaft do you have?

nicmcelveen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Great Find - 27mm Steering Wheel Nut for 72 Super Reply with quote

My signal went out a few months ago. I finally decided to fix it and didn't know what size the steering wheel nut is, so I search the internet and came across this thread. I bought a 27mm socket for my 72 Super Beetle (after reading this thread) and the socket fit perfectly. I was surprised I was able to loosen the nut without a power tool. I didn't have any trouble pulling the steering wheel off. Marking the steering wheel position before pulling it off is a big deal if you like how it's positioned before starting this job.

I haven't done many repairs on my bug, but removing the nut and replacing the steering wheel or doing any signal/wiper repairs is a relatively easy job.

Pinterest - VW Bugs: https://www.pinterest.com/nicmcelveen/vw-bugs/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: