Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires for rear of Woods buggy....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Tires for rear of Woods buggy.... Reply with quote

Before I get blasted I have read tires, tires, tires. Good info but what I'm looking for is ADVISE on which tire works for you Very Happy I have Mickey Tompson Mini Mags in the front. They work really good for my buggy. I have some agressive tires in the rear, but don;t really like them that much. They are old and dry rotted. I'm looking for a tire that can handle mud, dirt, loose rocks, and a little sand. I've look at the BFG Mud AT because of the open lugs, but I'm afaird they maybe a little too aggresive for what I normally ride in. Woods buggies, what are you riding on?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mud Terrains would work well. I use BFG All Terains which work great most of the time but lack traction in some situations which make me want to try Muds the next time i need tires. Most of the serious Woodsbuggies use custom cut up TSLs. Check it out on woodsbuggy.com. They have it down to a science.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the bfg mud terrain km2s and i love them. they arent too loud on the road and ride nice. only been off road with them once so i dont have a great idea how they are offroad. and i cant compare them with anything because this is my first baja Very Happy
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG All-terrains Very Happy
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
GhiaBateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's a woods buggy that is seeing road use as well, you should get some Super Swamper Radial TSLs they are proven for many many years on all types of vehicles, including our own Oktr6r...
http://www.ntwonline.com/TSL_RADIAL_-_SUPER_SWAMPER_INT_P7066C35.cfm
RoadWarrior138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrAzY-BaJa wrote:
BFG All-terrains Very Happy

x2 on the BFG All Terrains (aired down of course for a bigger footprint).
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhiaBateman wrote:
if it's a woods buggy that is seeing road use as well, you should get some Super Swamper Radial TSLs they are proven for many many years on all types of vehicles, including our own Oktr6r...

Swamper radials work very well in just about everything I've encountered so far... mud, sand and are surprisingly quiet on the street.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

mharney wrote:
Behold the true power of the extractor! Mongo has it right!
clemsonteg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo63 wrote:
GhiaBateman wrote:

Swamper radials work very well in just about everything I've encountered so far... mud, sand and are surprisingly quiet on the street.

What size tires are those?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clemsonteg wrote:
Mongo63 wrote:
GhiaBateman wrote:

What size tires are those?

27X 9.5X 15 front and 32X 11.5X 15 rear.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

mharney wrote:
Behold the true power of the extractor! Mongo has it right!
clemsonteg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind are the front tires if you don't mind me asking? I have 295/50/15's on mine and I don't have much more clearance on my buggy due to the step bars on the side as well as the housings for the torsion bars on my swing axle, I think they stick out about 3-4 inches on either side. I can possibly get another 1-2 inch tall tires and if I trim the step bars I could go another 2-3 inches over what I have now before I hit the torsion bar ends.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
buggy fan01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 34/10.50 super swampers ltb's with 3 rib bus on back of a rail and love them for all around riding, but they will dig a hole quick in sand, but i'm on road alot of the time. I've also consider mickey thompson baha claw and think i will try it next. Friends of mine run bfg all terrains but have traction problems alot more than the super swampers.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggy fan01 wrote:
I'm running 34/10.50 super swampers ltb's with 3 rib bus on back of a rail and love them for all around riding, but they will dig a hole quick in sand, but i'm on road alot of the time. I've also consider mickey thompson baha claw and think i will try it next. Friends of mine run bfg all terrains but have traction problems alot more than the super swampers.

I've also got a 3 rib bus transaxle I was told when I bought the rail that it had an 1835, but I don't know for sure. How does yours run going down the highway ie, can you keep your speed when going up steep hills? and what size of motor do you have? Will a 1600 pull those tires down the highway OK? Did those tall tire bog down when going slow in first gear?
buggy fan01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 1835 with a single 40 dellorto and small exhaust and stock heads, for some reason my buggy seems a little to have a little more torque than my friends i think because of the heads. It pulls hills most of the time in high gear but on a steep hill sometimes i'll have to grab 3rd. It does great in first gear even with these tires. Two friends runs a Q78 buckshot mudder which is 35.5 inches tall with 3 rib bus and have no problems.
carrera1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my rail in the woods for dirt, sand and mud. I have superswampers TSL SX. I like em alot. They grip really well and have thougher sidewalls(then even the regular S.S.) for all the branches and rocks we hit out there.
Woods Rail- 1914cc MoFoCo with MSD Ign, Swayaway Air shocks, 3x3 rear arms w/ 930's, 2x1 front arms, All CNC pedals/cutting, SS 30" TSL SX rear tires, Saco rack, Disc brakes on back... here to play in the mud, sand, dirt.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestone 31x15.50-15, 23° tractor style tires for me.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorbreath53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you woodsbuggy guys gunna quit screwing around....

put some tank tracks that sombitch....
Mad Maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm runnin' original style BFG Mudders all the way around. Fronts are the smallest you can get and they are pretty heavy. Backs I think are 30 by 9.5 and they are perfect. I haven't tried it in sand, but it works well in every other condition I've been in.

Snow is a little tricky though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU6PaQaaSko
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this thread is killing me. I don’t care if you call it a woods buggy or a sand rail or whatever. The tires are dependant of the type of terrain you will be running on everything else is irrelevant.

Fast\ slow …mud\ hard pack terrain…. Every person replying to this is talking about what is working for where they go and how they drive.

To truly help your situation we need to know what you are getting into.

Sorry for being so harsh here but this is the reality of it. So now that that is our of the bag… help us to help you.

I really mean the best here.
ataim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for rear of Woods buggy.... Reply with quote

ataim wrote:
I'm looking for a tire that can handle mud, dirt, loose rocks, and a little sand. I've look at the BFG Mud AT because of the open lugs, but I'm afaird they maybe a little too aggresive for what I normally ride in. Woods buggies, what are you riding on?

Shred, my intention is also kind hearted so please don't let the cold internet let my words sound harsh. But I have to disagree. I call it a wood buggy because I mostly ride in the woods Laughing I dont ride the dunes. Woods buggies and sand buggies should be two totally different types of buggies, not just what type of tires you have.

As far as
shred625 wrote:
Fast\ slow …mud\ hard pack terrain…. Every person replying to this is talking about what is working for where they go and how they drive.

That is what I asked for. What are the other woods buggies using, I could care less what a sandy is using. I don't like the rear tires I have now and want advise from others on what they have actually ran with.

The dialog between Buggy Fan and myself is they type of answers I was looking for. ie Is a 34" tire too tall for what we drive in, ect.
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a friendly discussion so its all good.

Maybe I need to be learned here but I really don't understand what is a woods buggy then and how is it different than something used in the sand, tires excluded of course and maybe some shock valving?

So this desert guy is all ears.... btw I used to run Dick Cepek M/T's on the back of my baja that work well in mud and hard pack alike.

I really miss the Norseman L78's as I would highly suggest those if they were still around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: