Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator Pedal Assembly Diagram
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Accelerator Pedal Assembly Diagram Reply with quote

My gas pedal broke off the floor pan a millenia ago and the PO used a door hinge bolted to the floor and pedal to "fix" the problem.

So I got this kit in from BusDepot
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its missing one of the c-clamp things, but I can deal.

The only problem is I have no stinking idea how to assemble the thing as I never had a legit pedal and underneath assembly in the first place. I've looked in Bentely, Muir, Haynes and two other odd ball books I have but could't find a pedal blow-out image in ANY of them. Some pieces I know go certain places others I don't.

Anyone have a blow-out in some other book of the pedal or maybe could take a picture of theirs? The L shaped piece has to somehow attach to the rod that attaches to the pedal, the accelerator cable AND to the underside body mount, but I seem to only have rods though and at least 3 of 4 hose I probably need to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is for 68-70, not sure if 71 is the same. if your hinge is missing you need that also. kit photo shows no hinge.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image helps alot, it makes more sense now.

I can see how #6 fits one side of the L (#9) and the cable is supposed to have its own rod to go through #9.

In my case the L doesn't have the other rod directly attached to it, but comes with one that probably some how fits into the underside plate with the spring and another washer or something.

I got a new hinge from Dansvans (thanks by the way again) and it fits perfectly.

You have any idea on the spring return of the peda? I don't have anything that looks like ti would cause the pedal to return to its top position?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magnus0328
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurewagen wrote:

You have any idea on the spring return of the peda? I don't have anything that looks like ti would cause the pedal to return to its top position?

I have the same question... What do you use for the pedal return spring?
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a door-hinge-welded-in bug once too! Good times...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought bought the kit when my hinge failed thinking that the kit would have everything I needed. Pretty much a waste of dough. I ended up using a 3" butt hinge, I think it was solid brass with a stainless pin but am not sure anymore. I cut the one leaf of the hinge down so that it fit inside the back of the original pedal and bolted the pedal to it. It took a little work to put every thing together in a way that would not cause clearance problems. I suspect my repair will last as long as any part on the car.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the return spring is on the carburetor
tp
dirigible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having similar issues. Hinge is rusted out (both pedal and floor sides), and missing the topside spring, boot, and a few other things.
Just took it out of storage and found this mess... the strange thing is I drove it into the storage container. Don't know how I could have driven it without a working accelerator pedal! Think
Hm. Maybe I was less fussy 6 years ago.

Anyway--can't find the kit on the Bus Depot site. Found similar one on cip1.ca, but looking to compare prices. Can you post a link?
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since we are on this topic - does anyone carry part number 4? The accelerator stop pedal? I have my old one, but one of the tabs broke off, and I'd like to replace it.

Scott?

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

-P
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stop is NLA unless you score at the wrecker or in the classifieds. It's really not neccessary unless you drive while wearing high heels alot, reset the throttle cable length at the carb or throttle body to leave 1MM clearance from the WOT stop on the carb when the pedal is mashed to the floor. Most ankles in flattish shoes have enough range of motion to handle that. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the #7 rubber accelerator gasket in my stash of parts. Does that part also fit on a '76 accelerator assembly? I don't have one on my bus and if it would help keep any cold winter air out, I would like to install it.

Any thoughts?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK that fits all years, why not try it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
AFAIK that fits all years, why not try it?

well, I thought someone might suggest that. I probably need to clean out my pedal assembly anyways. I just wanted to ask before I tore something apart for no real good reason. My time right now is very limited.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might look here for some parts

http://wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bus_chassis.cfm

spring
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211721549A

http://www.eisparts.com/211721549A.html

Also read this thread as it has photos
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you might look here for some parts

spring
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211721549A

FYI, from any Bus Depot product lpage, you can widen the displayed selection by clicking on a product category at the bottom of the page. Using the above page as an example, if you looked below "Application Details" and then clicked on words "accelerator pedal" at the end of the "72-79 Bus" line, it would show you more parts specifically related to your 72-79 Accelerator pedal. Or, if instead you clicked on the less specific "Pedal Controls, Cables & Parts," the listing would expand to also include (among other things) accelerator and clutch cables.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about #2? The spring clippy thing? WHere can I get that or a good substitute? I'm sick of the accelerator pedal falling off!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow the instructions in the post above yours, the one from "Busdepot", where he directs you to a link to the "Busdepot" website, where you can find the part you seek.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Harveybacon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: assembly pics Reply with quote

I had to make my own hinge from metal framing straps I got at Home Depot to replace my broken "home-made" one. So I found the part for my 71 on BusDepot. What I need is a pic of where the NEW hinge should screw in (I have to drill holes). So if you guys got yours in and completed, I would really love to see pics! Thanks. I will post pics of what I have done so far and after pics once I get it in. Thank so much!

p.s. I will probably have to get the parts that go under floor board too, but would like to know where to attach this hinge first.

1971 Campmobile
M-Plate: http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-6571.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harveybacon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

this is what pic I found so far. It helps, but if I could see under the pedal, would be great help! Plus, this is a 79, and I have a 71. Thanks: http://thekombikonnection.myfreeforum.org/viewcardtopic.php?t=1364

and this is part I bought on BusDepot: http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J13009

1971 Campmobile
M-Plate: http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-6571.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos from my bus may help for how everything connects underneath:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: