Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

battery recommendation
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: battery recommendation Reply with quote

I've search the Samba and the web for a while to get some recommendation for battery brands/specifications for my '77 FI. My current battery is pretty new but after being away for a week it was dead. I put a 1amp trick charge on it and it was up to 12.5V. The next day it was 11.9V and could start the bus but cranked slowly. After driving it for two days it was good. I rode my bike to work today and checked it when I got home - 10V :-/ It is back on the charger for the night (yes, on my work bench) so I thought I'd ask if I should just get one w/ the same size or if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks for the help!
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about others but I find Interstate batteries to be an excellent product. Optima used to be good then they went to shit when they changed the manufacturing plant or something.
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very likely that you have some kind of amp draw that is running your battery down. Remove the negative cable from the battery and then read the voltage between the battery post and the cable end. The reading should be close to zero volts. My bet is that you will be reading a lot closer to 12V.

Make sure your doors are closed so your dome light isn't on.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Right ^

If you can't measure it just leave the cable unhooked and see if the battery dies.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when you decide to replace the batter the one thing I would recommend is a battery with side mount posts. It makes it a lot easier to connect and disconnect. Last weekend while storing my bus for the winter I was reminded of how hard it is to get in there and disconnect the terminals in the dark again.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bedfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After charging through the night it is back up to 12.3v. When back in the bus I measured between the pos and the unattached neg cable and it read between .7v and 1.0v. I'm not sure if that is a lot of draw, all I think I have is a stereo to draw on the battery.

Funny, I currently have an Interstate and when I bought my westy at the beginning of the year and had my mechanic check it out, one of the 1st things he said was to swap out of the "POS Walmart battery" (as he called it) and installed this one...

Thanks for all the recommendations!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the DIE HARD batteries. The company I work for has over a hundred vehicles. We used to use Interstate but the quality was inconsistent. So they changed to generic crap and get the same results for less. But SEARS is in my personal cars.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has been covered... there are not very many actual battery manufacturers in the United States. Brands such as Die Hard, Duralast, Interstate, etc. buy their batteries from various manufacturers and simply re-label them. There's an excellent chance that any battery you buy, from any brand, is manufactured by Johnson Controls.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

When it is time for me to replace my battery, I will probably spring the extra dough for an Optima battery, for the simple reason that they are completely sealed and should not contribute to the rusting of my battery tray.
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want 2 of these
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925mjt.htm

or the deep cycle version, 2 of them will fit in the stock location no problem, fully sealed and mutli mount.
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a vampire device sucking your battery's life. Stereos, clocks, and alarm systems can do that. Try disconnecting the stereo's power, and see if the phantom draw draw goes away.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedfordd wrote:
When back in the bus I measured between the pos and the unattached neg cable and it read between .7v and 1.0v. I'm not sure if that is a lot of draw, all I think I have is a stereo to draw on the battery.

That is a large draw. There is obviously something wrong with the electrical system. Start pulling fuses one at a time and measuring the voltage draw each time. That will help you isolate which component is giving you a problem.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
cr@M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a CAT in mine Wink

"He who fights with monsters must see to it that he himself does not become a monster...
when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
I will probably spring the extra dough for an Optima battery, for the simple reason that they are completely sealed and should not contribute to the rusting of my battery tray.

Or use a standard battery and put it in a plastic battery box. And coat the terminals and cable ends with the goop that totally elimates corrosion. Eleven years and I have never cleaned the terminals, cable ends or tray. They are as immaculate as new. Replaced the battery twice but they were as spotlessly clean and dry as when new.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that when I charge a good battery overnight like you did you should see more than 13 vdc. I think your battery is shot. You should take it to Autozone or some other FLAPS and have them do a load check. It's free and then if you need a new one you're right they where they sell them. My buddy next doot has had two Diehards fail on him early and they have both been within the last 6 months.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Batan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedfordd wrote:
After charging through the night it is back up to 12.3v. When back in the bus I measured between the pos and the unattached neg cable and it read between .7v and 1.0v. I'm not sure if that is a lot of draw, all I think I have is a stereo to draw on the battery.

Funny, I currently have an Interstate and when I bought my westy at the beginning of the year and had my mechanic check it out, one of the 1st things he said was to swap out of the "POS Walmart battery" (as he called it) and installed this one...

Thanks for all the recommendations!

If it's 12.3V after charging, that's nothing and the battery is probably dead. You should measure the voltage when the battery is cold, at least a couple of hours after charging. It should hold 12.8V+ when fully charged.
As far as Interstate, well opinions are like assholes...
Badzak Creative – Still and Motion Pictures
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consumer reports usually has a good article on battery ratings. Everstart came up several times in their ratings. I don't know if they make a group 41 battery. It requires a subscription to be able to read the article.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto...erview.htm
bedfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
consumer reports usually has a good article on battery ratings. Everstart came up several times in their ratings. I don't know if they make a group 41 battery. It requires a subscription to be able to read the article.

Huh, Costco for the best battery value - who'd figure...
Sears checked my battery and after 2 hours said it was fine, was charged up and shouldn't be a problem. We'll see... Good price-performer though as I didn't buy a battery. I'll disconnect my stereo and see if there's any other draw on the battery - should be zero.

Again, SAMBA ROCKS! Thanks all...
filmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there are not very many actual battery manufacturers in the United States. Brands such as Die Hard, Duralast, Interstate, etc. buy their batteries from various manufacturers and simply re-label them. There's an excellent chance that any battery you buy, from any brand, is manufactured by Johnson Controls.

Nail on the head here, being in the Automotive Parts Business for over 20 years, I have taken courses on batteries, sounds strange but the manufacturers offer them to dealerships for their parts and service staff, and yes there are only two or three battery manufacturers in North America, so chances are the only difference between batteries is the label they put on it. Then again the courses I went on were hosted by Johnson Controls and I must admit, even though they told us they manufactured batteries for several distributors, they failed to tell us if the quality put into them was the same for all (i.e. number of plates etc.) Question
magnus0328
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedfordd wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Huh, Costco for the best battery value - who'd figure...

Again, SAMBA ROCKS! Thanks all...

I just bought one yesterday at Costco. It is an 800 / 640 cca top post battery. It has a 3 year free replacement / 100 month pro-rated warranty. It was only $56.99. Auto Zone wanted $79.00 for less of a battery with only a 2 year warranty.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, Im looking at getting an Interstate battery for my 79 Westfalia. I do not have auxillary battery power and was looking at getting the Interstate MT- 47. Does anyone have any idea if this is the proper choice for my year, model and situation(no aux battery). Thanks for your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: