Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Marks
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Timing Marks Reply with quote

Im trying to get my vanagon on tdc, and i cannot figure out which timing mark it needs to be on and where the rotor should be. I see four holes on the crankshaft pully, would it be the very left hole, lined up to what?
And at what position should the rotor be? In-sync with the mark on it, or the 5/11 oclock positions?
Also, when cranking the engine over by hand, should i be turning clockwise or counter clockwise?
Ive read around alot and have heard both but from different years of motors.
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
sorry ive asked like the same question three times now, im just having a hard time understanding it. and im nervous about messing it up and causing more of a headache than i can handle.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: timing engine Reply with quote

Well, since no one has chimed in, I'll say what little I know about timing the 2.1 engine- I've never done it, and have been told pretty much not to worry about timing a 2.1 engine, because the Digifant system pretty much takes care of the timing, making quite a few adjustments in other areas to compensate for the timing being off. It seems that a lot of owners don't worry about timing their 2.1 very much, unless something has been done to throw it way off.

Ed in CT
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the valve cover and watch the rocker arms for #1 as you rotate the main pulley CW. I don't remember exactly, but I think when both valves are closed, if the intake valve opens with further rotation you just passed #1 TDC. When this happens back up to #1 TDC. There might be an easier way like watching the piston rise through the spark plug hole, but that is prone to being 180 degrees off.

In any event, when the engine is at #1 TDC, the rotor in the distributor should be pointing to about 4 oclock.

Take this with a grain of salt, its been months since I did this.
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all- I'm about to go out and try again.
Just to clarify- Piston order standing behind the van, facing the front windshield would be- 3 top left, 1 top right, 4 bottom left, 2 bottom right.
Right? or...
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also- to my biggest questioning, What am i supposed to line up the marks on the crankshaft pully to? are these even used or relevant, or what? thanks agian-
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you get the distributor so it is close to TDC. Then, when you time it, the marks on the pulley will be lined up against the case seam. Don't recall the details of which mark is TDC and which mark is some number of degrees BTDC.
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally just decided to go do it. Im pretty sure #1 was on tdc, but didnt check specifically, just know that i put an extension in the cyl hole and it came out right at about 5o'clock on the rotor.
But im still not getting spark? i hope i didnt mess up and buy a distributor when i didnt actually need it.
I found two wires that were not connected at all. One goes down to right behind the crank pully, then goes up and meets with another that goes down between the driverside pushrod covers to some sensor.
Any ideas what these are and if they would keep it from running>?
kshbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are oil pressure sensor wires. They will not prevent it from starting. Look for the ProTraining Guide for the Digifant. It provides a step by step process to debug the ignition. I think DogPilot has it on a public server somewhere.
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 86 the rounded notch it the tdc and the cut line is the timing mark for 5 atdc. That is set at the timing mark with a light when idling at the correct 850-900rpm. PorTraining manual will help explain all the things that can cause no spark. could be trigger coil or computer if it is an 86 and up. Ignition is in the computer for the fuel injection from 86 on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: vanagon running-again Reply with quote

Got it running, im not really sure how as i didnt mess with timing it.
I put in the distributor with out any problems, was wayyy way easier than i had blown it up to be in my mind. Then i repaired and replugged the oil pressure sensors missing above, and took off and reconnected the diz cap from the coil, had my brother come out with me to help me test spark and it tried to run.. Put the two plugs in I had out in and it ran fine. Turned the idle up a bit(needed it before, just found out how while working on it) and took it for a test drive. Didnt seem to miss or give any problems. I do believe i need an altanator though, doesnt hold batt charge too well. Im going to have it tested tomorrow and see.

Thanks alot to everyone who replied in this, and my other thread, Really really appreciate the info. Next will be a Bentley and some fuel lines I think.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: