Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New AVP Aircooled engine. Low Oil Pressure.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tucnasam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: New AVP Aircooled engine. Low Oil Pressure. Reply with quote

Today is the first day I got to test drive my new Aircooled 2.0 engine that was rebuilt from a company. Oil Pressure Was at 60 PSI before start up when we got the pressure built up by cranking it over with no plugs in. After warm up we are only getting about 5 psi now... Any ideas as to what is going on? When we rev up the engine we only see tops 25psi.

Thanks
Help...

Last edited by tucnasam on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tucnasam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I will be tomorrow. Any other thoughts>?
tucnasam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Will post a pic soon for y'all. But I just dropped the oil from the engine and it is very grey and metallicy looking. Any Ideas now? Maybe a prelube or something they used? Or a shot engine?
sdek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try putting in 20-W-50 and start the engine again
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: AVP low oil pressure Reply with quote

I just installed one of their engines for a customer. It worked well. The only problem we had was that the oil pressure sender on the top of the engine didn't have the crush washer under it and it started leaking like crazy after a short time. Thankfully that was all it was and a new sender got it back on the road. I imagine that yucky oil was probably assembly lube or break in metal. Do you have your engine tin including engine seal in place and in good shape? Is your thermostat set up properly? These are critical to keep the engine not only cool but within the proper temperature range to last more than a few thousand miles. We did a new engine seal and a new thermostat for the customer and he is loving it.
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the 5 psi reading is from a mechanical gauge,...not an electronic dash gauge? Randi is right call the company. One thing you can do is check the oil pressure relief valve to make sure the cylinder is not sticking.

Good luck
tucnasam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already trying to get the pressure relief valve out. And I ma sure it is assembly lube.

Thanks Guys

I think all is well!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tucnasam wrote:
already trying to get the pressure relief valve out. And I ma sure it is assembly lube.

Thanks Guys

I think all is well!

I would not touch a thing on the engine if you need to have it looked at by the rebuilder. The pressure relief valve is almost never a *cause* of low oil pressure, it would have to be missing or horribly gummed up to be stuck in the "dump" position..
A famous cause of low oil pressure in some rebuilds is overlooking the lack of a bronze pushrod guide in cases with fuel pump block-off plates. That dumps oil out of the right lifter gallery.
A fresh engine with proper viscosity oil should be pushing 42 psi at 2,800 rpm above 155* oil temp as per Bentley. A tired engine is allowed to put out only 28 psi at the above rpm.
So many subtle things during a rebuild can affect oil pressure. Connecting rods at .004" as opposed to .002", a loose main bearing that you will never see, sloppy lifter fit, a rubber o-ring on the pick-up tube that did not go into the hole in the right case half correctly , a pump with a little too much axial clearance or a loose fit in the case . . . get an oil pressure gauge on it for peace-of-mind. You will forget the aggravation in 5,000 miles or so, if you get it squared away.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: