Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quiet pack - what year did they come out?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Quiet pack - what year did they come out? Reply with quote

Don't know if this is in the right forum and I tried searching, but need to know if quiet packs were around in 69/70 as building a single port motor for my '66 Bus with empi ram induction kit and some pre 70 stuff?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is a 1965 Speedwell Catalog in the Archives under Accessories Brochures which has this entry:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then in the old 1970-vintage "how to hot-rod VW engines" they had these shown:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. By the look of those glass packs I am guessing the qp didn't arrive till later, but just wanted to find out an approx year.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty small mufflers on those. In the last couple pages of my Photo Gallery I have the VW pages out of a 1973 JC Whitney catalog and none of the mufflers shown there really look any bigger than the ones shown above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle had a 59 sedan from 62-67. Stock 36hp and all. The only mods were rear wheels "inside out" and a regular header with glass pack. I saw an old pic once and the glass pack looked white (b/w pic). He said the thing to do was to paint the glass pack bright orange or day glow orange, so the pack looked "red hot". Would carry extra paint to re apply at "shows"
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiet pack - what year did they come out? Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Don't know if this is in the right forum and I tried searching, but need to know if quiet packs were around in 69/70 as building a single port motor for my '66 Bus with empi ram induction kit and some pre 70 stuff?

I remember seeing an old Hot VW's article with Gene Berg demonstrating the first header/quiet pack combo. I think it was 1974 or '75. While a glass pack might be period correct, you'd still be losing hp by running one.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd mentiont his - I recently got a couple of 1978 Whitney catalogs and find that by them, they were selling them too. Just finished scanning and putting them in my Gallery (just the VW parts) - the page with that muffler is this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/652557.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: