Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Relay Diagram ..........needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Headlight Relay Diagram ..........needed Reply with quote

for '73 std. beetle..

I need a idiot proof drawing for the headlight relay wiring....... I'm a little slow and need pictures Laughing

here's a base picture for the HeadLight Relay...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Fattie on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vocho78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the wiring diagram....
S is Brown/White
56 is White/Black
56a is White
56b is Yellow
In my "vocho" I think the # 30 terminal goes to a red wire that I donīt remember which fuse it goes. Razz

Check the wire diagram for your model, anyway. I hope this helps you.
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Vocho78 Very Happy
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've read/seen..
30 with a contant + will let you flash your brights even if the headlights are off ... sweet

BTW: why is the beetle called "vocho" in mexico ?
MrUnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fattie wrote:
30 with a contant + will let you flash your brights even if the headlights are off ... sweet

How would that work? A switch connected to #30 to supply 12v or is there a way to do it from the headlight switch (high/low switch)?

Also, according to my manual, to switch from low to high beams it says I'm supposed to pull the turn signal switch on the column towards me (towrards rear of vehicle).. however on mine (73 super), I need to push it forward instead.. does that indicate a broken switch or perhaps incorrect wiring? I'm not too concerned about it since it works just fine, but was wondering why it's the opposite of everything I've read.

Cheers,
Brad
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a 12v terminal on your fuse block when the key is -on- and run it to terminal 30 on the relay then even if your headlights are off you can flash your brights with your factory switch on your steering column like a modern car
Vocho78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fattie wrote:

I donīt know... I think itīs because the way "Volkswagen" sounds in spanish.
Iīm not sure, really. In here itīs not like in other parts of the world where the nickname of a VW itīs, most of the times, because of its shape.

Although....My grandma used to call my VW "la pulga" (flea).

Sorry about my useless answer Razz

Letīs stick to the topic again.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fattie wrote:
find a 12v terminal on your fuse block when the key is -on- and run it to terminal 30 on the relay then even if your headlights are off you can flash your brights with your factory switch on your steering column like a modern car

I'm pretty sure this will NOT work as originally designed.
All #30 circuits on the bug should have constant 12v+. If you connect the #30 terminal of the dimmer relay to a "switched" source (#15) that only has power when the ignition switch is ON, it will only work when the ignition is ON.

Connect it to a fuse that has constant 12v+ like fuse #8 or #9 for your '73.

Speedy Jim's site has a good diagram of the inner workings of the five prong dimmer relay:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/SCHEM/DimmerRly.jpg

Another term for these relays are latching relays because they maintain their position even when power is removed.

It should be noted that when using these 5-prong relays, you need heavy gauge wires powering both the #30 and #56 terminals. Both provide power to two headlights. Depending on your headlights, that can be 100w+.
If you are considering jumping the #30 and #56 terminals together, you can do this. The source should come from the headlight switch and you will loose the "flash" function when the headlight switch is OFF.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Fattie
I'd roll it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the additional info and pic ashman40
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fattie wrote:

Isn't that a Mexican V8? Laughing

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
dan devin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herby the luv bug 5+3 =8. just say eight in spanish
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Fattie wrote:

I'm pretty sure this will NOT work as originally designed.
All #30 circuits on the bug should have constant 12v+. If you connect the #30 terminal of the dimmer relay to a "switched" source (#15) that only has power when the ignition switch is ON, it will only work when the ignition is ON.

Connect it to a fuse that has constant 12v+ like fuse #8 or #9 for your '73.

Speedy Jim's site has a good diagram of the inner workings of the five prong dimmer relay:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/SCHEM/DimmerRly.jpg

Another term for these relays are latching relays because they maintain their position even when power is removed.

It should be noted that when using these 5-prong relays, you need heavy gauge wires powering both the #30 and #56 terminals. Both provide power to two headlights. Depending on your headlights, that can be 100w+.
If you are considering jumping the #30 and #56 terminals together, you can do this. The source should come from the headlight switch and you will loose the "flash" function when the headlight switch is OFF.

Actually, you don't need heavy gage for 56. And you should not jump 56 and 30. The point of the relay is to avoid running high current through the switch. So, 56 runs a low current through the switch and is only for switching the relay on. 30 runs the full load of the lights. 56a and 56b are the high beam and low beam respectively and again carry the higher switched current.

Your headlights will be brightest if you can get #30 to have the least voltage drop relative to battery. On many older cars a separate line is run directly from the battery, thru a fuse and then to #30.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speedy Jim diagram posted above must be using a different relay than the one that came with my '71 Super.
I checked two similar relays, and while there is continuity between terminals 56 and S, (indicating an intact relay coil) there is no continuity between terminal 30 and terminal S.
Both dimmer relays function normally with the headlights on, but connecting +12V to terminal 30 of the dimmer relay did not flash the main beam (as advertised...key on, lights off) when terminal S is momentarily grounded.
I wound up using a separate standard relay like this:

The diode prevents terminal 85 of the relay from being grounded when the dimmer relay is in place.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an innovative circuit.

It was only after posting the diagram above did I realize that most US model Beetles came with the 4-prong dimmer relay (based on the wiring diagrams) that doesn't have a #30 source. While most non-US Late Models (like my 1200LS) came with the 5-prong dimmer with the separate #30 terminal from a constant 12v+ source.

Prior to 1968 most Beetles came with a 5-prong relay, but I believe these functioned differently since the wiring diagram calls for wiring #30 and #56 together. Maybe your relay is one of these earlier ones. I'm not sure how safe it is to use these relays on newer cars since they were probably meant for 6v electrical systems.

TheSamba doesn't list many of the non-US diagrams. Check out Vintagebus.com for non-US diagrams:

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '71 Super has the 5 prong relay, but the relay socket (integral with the fuse panel) only has wires going to four relay contacts; 56, 56a, 56b, S.
I installed the 5th wire, with a female spade with locking tab, into the relay panel (with the other end connected to a "hot with ignition on" fuse) only to find that the dimmer relays I have don't work that way.
Without continuity through the relay coil between terminal 30 and terminal S, I don't see how it could work. I should have checked the relays with a VOM first, because installing that fifth contact in the relay panel was a serious pain with my fat fingers.
After discovering my dimmer relays couldn't work this way, I removed that fifth wire, but was bull headed about being able to flash the high beams, so I came up with plan B which is illustrated.
Hopefully, someone else will find it useful.
I checked your link (thanks):
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/1302_from_August_1970_without_test_central_socket.jpg
In this German model wiring diagram, check the "grayed out" paths and the "J3" relay (labeled "standlichtrelais nur fur Osterreich) [parking light relay not for Austria?] ... interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marks65Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Relay Diagram ..........needed Reply with quote

in search of explicit instructional diagram to use "Jay Brown " style relay system in my headlamps.. very dim . any help is appreciated. Ii don't want to find out my error by melting wires. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Relay Diagram ..........needed Reply with quote

Marks65Ghia wrote:
in search of explicit instructional diagram to use "Jay Brown " style relay system in my headlamps.. very dim . any help is appreciated. Ii don't want to find out my error by melting wires. Thanks!

Give this thread a read. It has a couple diagrams you can follow.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646423
In both cases you need to use your existing headlight dimmer relay to control whether the high beams or low beams are ON. The addition of the two relays provides a "direct from the battery" power source for the headlight filaments AND reduces the current flow thru the headlight switch and the dimmer relay; prolonging their life. The generic SPDT Bosch-style relays are cheap to replace (as low as $3/ea), the headlight switch and dimmer relay are not. The control of when headlights are ON/OFF is still managed from the headlight switch and whether the highs or lows are ON is managed by the dimmer relay.
Marks65Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Relay Diagram ..........needed Reply with quote

Thank you all. It will make it right!! woo hoo!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: