Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deaf man vw camper with 2 yrs old Deaf son road trip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGays3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Deaf man vw camper with 2 yrs old Deaf son road trip Reply with quote

Hwllo VW people,

Good day to you as I would like to introduce myself as Michael Gay. I am the Tournament Director for Washington Deaf Disc Golfers Association (WDDGA). I am planning on a road trip across the United States continent for the 10th Annual National Deaf Disc Golf Championship (NDDGC) tournament at Sugarbush Resort in Warren, Vernmont (VT10) on July 21-25th, 2010.

I am planning on travel aloong with my 2 years old Deaf son in my VW Camper with its newly rebuilt engine. I intent to make the trip a fundraising trip to help Washington Deaf Disc Golfers Association to raise funds for the WA12 tournament.

Last July in Springfield, Illnois (IL09), Washington. I will be helping WDDGA to raise funds by bringing along the merchandise to sell by stopping at various disc golf courses along the way during my trip.

I am formally asking for your support to help me and WDDGA rai9se funds for W@A12 tournament. I am seeking your donation and sponsorship to help cover my traveling expenses such as gas, parts, foods and supplies.

In return of your support, I will be glad to have WDDGA advocate the name of your b usiness to our members. I will have WDDGA post your business logo on their website (www.wddga.com). I will be happy to distribute any literature such as flyers, catalogs, business cards, and stickers among the Deaf disc golfers of both WDDGA and DDGA (Deaf Disc Golf Association - www.ddga.org). I will be glad to write a formal thank-you letter in which will include WDDGA's tax-id number to be used for your business income tax return form.

I will be documenting my trip along the way by posting Vlog (video blog) statements.

Thank you for your time reading this letter,
Michael Gay

WDDGA Tournament Director
Personal Email Contact: [email protected]

VW Rules!!! Wink
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael. Welcome to the Samba. Your cross country trip would be quite an undertaking for many of us under normal conditions. But the part that stands out is not hearing the engine. And maybe more particularly a new engine. Probably many of us pay close attention to the engine sounds for the purpose of monitoring the engines well being. It's the little click clicks, clatters, squeals, an whooshes we pay close attention too. And likewise maybe we shouldn't. Interesting that someone here recently didn't want to get a bus because they were too noisy. But obviously you have grown to know how to deal with your lack of hearing and probably function and have more awareness of your surroundings than most of us. I sure admire and congratulate you on that. And what a blessing it is to your son that he has a dad like you to raise him up. Only other thing apart from wishing you well in your venture is consideration for your bus being as trouble free as possible. The Samba has quite a few Bus members scattered across the country and would be glad to help you along the way if necessary. I was sort of thinking about maybe the value of some of our experienced members lending an "Ear" once in a while along your trip to see if engine noises are sounding normal and healthy. On the other hand maybe it wouldn't. But if the need did arise please be sure to get help from an experienced VW person instead of a general mechanic that wouldn't have the familiarity of ACVW specific little noises. Regardless we wish you well in your venture. Please keep us informed.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect most of use use our hearing because it is easy, but that the "seat of the pants" feel would provide darn near as much information for those who though circumstance or choice focus on feel not sound. The VW "talks" in many ways to the sensitive driver.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I suspect most of use use our hearing because it is easy, but that the "seat of the pants" feel would provide darn near as much information for those who though circumstance or choice focus on feel not sound. The VW "talks" in many ways to the sensitive driver.

I have never had a tach, or gauges in any of my VW's unless it came from the factory with it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try soliciting help from the Deaf Volks club out of California. Maybe they'll sponsor you....
Great bunch of people on the Shasta Snow Trip in 09.

www.thedeafvolks.com

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Deaf-Volks/60669089906
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, glad you are gonna do it! We are in full support of you guys. DeafVolks got your back covered! Smile But of course, will love the support from TheSamba.com folks on the way to Vermont as well.

Wish I could go along in my splitty, but someday! Twisted Evil

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
MAYHEM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out AIRS
http://www.type2.com/rescue/
If you need help, post up here. All the help you'll ever need.
Best wishes. Very admirable.
Enjoy the journey Cool

johnnypan wrote:
I digitize myself in the privacy of my own home.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I hope you don't mind but I passed your message on to Sipapu Ski Resort here in NM. They are just over the mountain from me and they have a frisbee golf course there during the non snow months. They also have the State Frisbee golf tourney there every year.
So, if they get back to you, let me know.
And if you happen to come thru Taos, feel welcome to call on me.
Best of luck.
Brian
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year and model bus do you have Michael?
TheGays3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody.....what a wonderful replies....I am working on sponsoring my trip.

Hey Mayhem.....wow that AIRS is AWESOME!!! Surprised I will fill it out asap and also will contact on the way to Vernmont and will be keeping forward to ward south and west to califorina! Thanks!

Brian, yea!!! disc golf rules.....ahems....of course VW rules too!! thats why Im doing this.....VW/DG in one! Sipapu Ski Resort, last year National Deaf Disc Golf Championship (NDDGC) 2008 was held there last year. I didnt go cuz went on our honeymoon! Yes I would love to go there and meet them....perhap Ace Race for my fund raise?

Desertbusman....what year and model?? its a 1969 vw camper....and I also have a 1960 crewcab and lastly a 1989 fox. I love vws but funny Im not a good mechinal!! haha

Thank you all for the wonderful replied and looking forward to more comments and planning....peace
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to know a person who was hearing impaired and he would tune by vibration Idea , it was a amazing thing to witness..sadly he passed on years ago but was the only person i have ever seen sit on the bumper of the vehicle and be able to tune it accordingly if you need a place to rest & shower and or coffee eats etc or sleep my family welcomes you, three boys 12/6/2 . keep it in mind im on the nh seacoast right off of I-95 . best wishes to you & your son godspeed & safe travels. pls feel free to take me up on my offer Wink
VWMIKE76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Where are you starting your trip from

Mike
78 westy "Doc". in very good hands of a fellow samba member!
79 hardtop landmark "Shaggy II"
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWMIKE76 wrote:
Michael,

Where are you starting your trip from

Mike

Yes, what is your approximate travel path? I'm in Manhattan Kansas, and as always my home is open to the wayward VW traveler. I've had a couple stay in the past. I'm sure this is true of many Samba members. If you will be going through the area, send me and IM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your path leads you thru or across Upstate Central NY (via I-90) let me know and the VW CLub of Central NY will offer any assistance & hospitality that we can.
Pmail me [email protected] and we'll keep an eye out.
sugerbush, VT is quite a few hours via classic VW. so if you're in need of a lay over let me/us know we're mainly in the greater Syracuse, NY region. we have many great campgrounds & scenic routes if you want travel information. (a favorite route of mine to VT is via NY rt365 to Rt8 then across the Essex,NY ferry into VT)

Dan Stevens
President
VW CLub of Central NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGays3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey.....yes we are leaving july 12th or little bit earlier...theres sooo much to plan the road trip especially having two years old boy with me haha....

my plans is drive on I 90 all the way to VT....I will be stopping by a lot of disc golf courses on the way to VT...cuz I will be doing the Vlog about VW and disc golfing! heh....

thank u guys for a sweet welcoming...and am looking forwward to meet u guys
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'll pass along our local Disc golf courses and club here in Central NY
http://www.cnydga.org/courses/

I have taken the VW Club out to both our Jamesville & Green lakes locations.
the Jamesville,NY location is a LONG shots and some woods some very open.
the Green lakes State park locaion is short, and quite nice. deer are in the nearby fields and Green Lakes State park is a unique natural feature/wonder as it's a plunge pool basin and a Meromictic lake, where the water is a vibrant green hue

If you do come thru CNY and stop to play, let me know and I'll see what I can gather from the local VW community to join. Both in awareness & in Disc golf fun.

Dan
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGays3 wrote:
...theres sooo much to plan the road trip especially having two years old boy with me haha...

Yeah, two years old is awfully young, especially for road trips. Good luck on that front alone Shocked
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGays3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
TheGays3 wrote:
...theres sooo much to plan the road trip especially having two years old boy with me haha...

Yeah, two years old is awfully young, especially for road trips. Good luck on that front alone Shocked

Fortunately, I will have a friend riding with us to Vermont. Then my son and I will be picking up my wife when she is done with school in Maryland for the second half of the trip. Cool
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks [insert moderator name here] for putting this thread where it belongs!

looks like once you get through the dakotas there'll be killer courses abound.
MI, WI & OH are really the disc golf "heartland" of america.

sounds like a great trip. something i'd like to do some time.
i did take the bus all the way to lake tahoe to play some courses last summer.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGays3 wrote:
hey.....yes we are leaving july 12th or little bit earlier...theres sooo much to plan the road trip especially having two years old boy with me haha....

my plans is drive on I 90 all the way to VT....I will be stopping by a lot of disc golf courses on the way to VT...cuz I will be doing the Vlog about VW and disc golfing! heh....

thank u guys for a sweet welcoming...and am looking forwward to meet u guys

Are you starting here in Seattle and heading across?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: