Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any one use Rust-MORT rust converter
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: any one use Rust-MORT rust converter Reply with quote

is Rust-MORT"
compatible with dupont primer and paint?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it and it is compatible with all paints. Rust Mort is a rust converter not really a paint. What are you going to use it on? I have had some undesirable results with it.
73resto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm trying to do something about the pitted rust on the roof .
what do you mean undesirable results
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I don’t get slammed for my advice I just want to tell you the I did not care for the results of using Rust Mort over other methods to accomplish the same thing. I’m sure others have and liked the results.

By mixed I mean; you have to sand this stuff to get a good bite for your primer, putting on and then sanding it off was a waist. I noticed that during the conversion process there is an increase in dimension to the metal that will need to be flattened. Its only slight but enough to cause you to have to sand it down so you don’t see the high spot.

If your rust has not rotted all the way through (pits tells me it’s close to that) then you can sand off the rust, etch the metal ( PPG 579) then treat it with a metal conditioner (PPG DX520) to help protect it from oxidizing after you paint. However, whenever I see pits or bubbles I cut it out and weld in a repair piece. This way you are assured you won’t have the same rust come back.

I should also mention that if you want to use Rust Mort as a preventative, don’t. Unless there is rust present, it will never dry and stay somewhat gummy, remember, this is a conversion product, not a coating. Even the instructions will tell you to make sure you have rust and to remove the excess before it dries. You will have the same problem if you apply too much as well. Painting over the Mort that did not convert will give you paint problems for sure.

The paint supplier I deal with described Rust Mort as an excellent product for areas that you want to kill the rust but not have to prep for topcoat primer and paint. Areas like in the trunk or your floor pans for example. In those cases, I opted to use POR15 because it provided good protection with less steps and cost involved.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better off with Picklex..its much better...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: