Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gabriel Hijacker Shocks in Rear
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Gabriel Hijacker Shocks in Rear Reply with quote

My '87 Wolfsburg is in need of rear shocks and I found a pair of air adjustable Gabriel Hijackers at Autozone for a fair price. I am trying to avoid the Vanagon rear end sag that eventually will be even more pronounced one she is fully loaded with gear and a bike rack on the hatch.

I have seached the Samba with no luck but I seem to find dozens of 4x4 owners who are happy with their setup in both front and back.

What say you? Yea or nay on the air adjust shocks to level the Vanagon under load?
itzdshtz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set in the back of my Syncro and am happy with it, you will have to press the old bushings out of your old schock absorbers and press them into the Hyjackers.

They will give you a bit of lift in the back, I have about 60 PSI in them.

Cheers Herman
2005 Audi allroad 4.2
2005 S4
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks Herman!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the "Sagging rear" threads in the Best Threads sticky. See link in my below signature.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**UPDATE**

For anyone interested (as I cant find any discussion on this particular setup) I Installed the Gabriel Hijacker air adjustable shocks in the rear. Air lines were installed along the bumper, through the "vents" in the sheet metal behind the bumper and along the frame to each shock. This is really the only route to take that doesn't involve drilling holes.The Gabriel kits comes with clips to keep the lines away from the muffler and other danger areas.

Also, instead of drilling any holes near or behind the license plate door for air valve access (only logical mounting location I could think of) I was able to fit the valve and cap through one of the lower license plate mounting holes. Its a clean, trick look that already has had some taking a second glance, with a "Hey, what is that?"

I am now running 60 - 65 psi. (thanks "itzdshtz") and the shocks have perfectly leveled off the rear. Now, even if I am loaded down with gear in the hatch and on the roof rack, I just pump a bit more psi and it doesn't look like my butt is draggin!

Up front, I plan on replacing the tired and old shocks with Bilsteins.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a part number?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Got a part number?????

Looks like 49215:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance on these, but they look like a great option. Any pics of your install? More info on ride quality etc? I take it they are independently adjustable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manton58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be interested in hearing how they ride....gotta be an improvement over old warn out shocks but how are the compared to OEM's in good condition?
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jteerlink wrote:
**UPDATE**

For anyone interested (as I cant find any discussion on this particular setup) I Installed the Gabriel Hijacker air adjustable shocks in the rear. Air lines were installed along the bumper, through the "vents" in the sheet metal behind the bumper and along the frame to each shock. This is really the only route to take that doesn't involve drilling holes.The Gabriel kits comes with clips to keep the lines away from the muffler and other danger areas.

Also, instead of drilling any holes near or behind the license plate door for air valve access (only logical mounting location I could think of) I was able to fit the valve and cap through one of the lower license plate mounting holes. Its a clean, trick look that already has had some taking a second glance, with a "Hey, what is that?"

I am now running 60 - 65 psi. (thanks "itzdshtz") and the shocks have perfectly leveled off the rear. Now, even if I am loaded down with gear in the hatch and on the roof rack, I just pump a bit more psi and it doesn't look like my butt is draggin!

Up front, I plan on replacing the tired and old shocks with Bilsteins.

awesome.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$78 a pair???

http://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-49215-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B001AMA96W
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
$78 a pair???

I KNOW!

Link

Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cheap, cheap!!! The part number is 49215 from Autozone at $63.99 to complete the entire job. You have to tell the dude you have a Syncro or they will tell you they don't fit. Don't believe him, they fit just fine. The kit I was sold already had the bushings pressed in and ready to mount. From start to finish, it took me about 4hrs. Max upgrade with minimal effort/cost.

No, they are not independently adjustable. The kit comes with one T-valve that pressurizes both sides. However, I am sure you could separate them with some modification.

Handling is a dream over the the old ones (one old one was absolutely shot) with less body roll around turns. I haven't been in the back yet while driving but I can tell they are a bit firm. Since they handle a range of 25 - 200 psi, I am thinking the ride can be adjusted to suit. I don't recommend jacking up the psi to 200, as I doubt the upper shock mounts were meant to handle that high of stress.

I will post pics as soon as possible
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind the apple sticker, I had it lying around and that big, black, blank shock was asking for it. Very Happy ishock

license plate hole needed to be enlarged by about 3/16 in for the airvalve

this shows a bit of a rake from back to front. Use a pressure gauge with a bleeder valve to get it just right
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! So how is the ride? I'm imagining that if there is enough pressure in them to compensate for spring sag, the ride must be fairly firm?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest bonus with the Gabriel air shock is the air chamber is separate from the shock unit.
So, in essence you could crank it all the way up with max air, and still have a functioning shock.
Monroe's or the GM air shocks get stiff--the air bag & shock aren't separate, plus the air bag isn't covered in a steel cover like the Gabriels.

Keep them tied together--they work fine functioning in tandem, working together to keep the ass end kicked up in the air--
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a set of these. Good find!!! Now that I've gone to Carat springs, I was concerned that when I used the Westy to tow, the tongue weight would drop the rear of the van too much. Now I can just boost up the PSI a little. Love the idea!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a syncro that needs shocks all the way around. I can't afford the OME's, but if I get these Gabriel's for the rear, what would you recommend for the fronts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The biggest bonus with the Gabriel air shock is the air chamber is separate from the shock unit.

Oooh, I see. So it's basically like a built-in air bag. Cool!

Still interested in ride reports/comparisons... Very Happy
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to think about with the air shocks.

Your asking the shock, plus their mounts to do the job of the springs--if your springs are up to snuff and giving you the proper lift, then the air shocks are excellent supplimentary accessory suspension aides.

They shouldn't be used to do what your worn out springs aren't doing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: