Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engle fk-8
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drivnvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Engle fk-8 Reply with quote

Hi all, Well, close to 2 weeks ago I ordered an Engle fk-8 cam kit (cam and engle lifters) from socal imports. Called them today to find out the status of my order, and come to find out that they grind all of their cams themselves. The guy on the phone said that the delay was because they were waiting on cam blanks to come in, and then they grind them down to engle's specs.

I ordered from socal, not because they were the cheapest (they weren't), but because they sold both engle cam and lifters as a kit.

Is this what most shops do nowadays, grind their own cams and slap a brand name on it. It's been a while since I've bought any engine parts, but when I got my engle 120 years ago, it was in a sealed engle box with engle stamped all over the place.

Does anyone have any input on this, anyone used an engle cam from socal, is the cam going to be identical to a factory engle.

Also wondering if engle still manufactures their cams, or if they just farm out the manufacturing to other companies.

I guess all I am wondering is if the cam from socal is going to as good as a factory one, or should I cancel my order and find someone that sells factory engles. When I asked them today, they said it was identical.

But they have to say that, if they said it was kind of right, they probably wouldn't sell any.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just confused and frustraited.
Thanks, Eric
drivnvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well, just happened upon a thread where someone said that socal bought out engle. When I asked the guy on the phone at socal today, I wish he would have told me that engle was now owned by socal imports and that was the reason they grind engle cams.

It would have saved me tons of stress over this at work all day and night.

Thanks guys for listening
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one that says "Engle" on it.

I hope they are not grinding a stock cam to say "110" on it.

It better have the yellow box and cam card and all-black when you get it. No gear either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
It better have the yellow box and cam card.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engle fk-8 Reply with quote

drivnvws wrote:
I got my engle 120 years ago

Really?! Wow, what was it like racing in 1890? Laughing
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bunch of those too, Glenn.

I have still quite a few more new old stock Engles in the stash. When they are gone, maybe I will do Webb exclusively.

Engle are okay. Not the hardest cam out there but plenty strong for the money.

I have used Webb before and have nothing to complain about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you call Engle cams every now and then some one will answer the phone "So cal imports..." Confused me the first time i called too. I have a few engle cams in my Big Block Oldsmobile.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Engle are okay. Not the hardest cam out there but plenty strong for the money.

Could you elaborate on the hardness issue? I hadn't heard of that before. Think
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a lot of Engles. I have seen lots of cams go flat even in short time. Hence I made some additional oiling for extreme applications.

I have noticed over the years that the bigger cams Engle make is hit or miss going flat.

The Webb cams I have installed never seen one go flat. The cost too might give an idea on what product quality you are getting. The Webb cams are more expensive.

FK-8 and up...gotta watch what you are doing. Keep up the adjustment. A small neglect will spell disaster.

I micro-polish them. I have had few that went flat installing them straight out of the box.
speedyshift74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an FK47 cam direct from Engle 2 years ago. Ran it for a total of 50 Passes on the drag strip. When I opened the engine up for inspection I found the cam had pits on the point of the lobe. My lifters looked like new . I'm not bashing Engle in anyway. I have used Every Grind they make for VW. Until this issue, I have never had a problem. I'm sure whoever took over the cam shop will stand by the product if they want to stay in business.
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedyshift74 wrote:
I bought an FK47 cam direct from Engle 2 years ago. Ran it for a total of 50 Passes on the drag strip. When I opened the engine up for inspection I found the cam had pits on the point of the lobe. My lifters looked like new . I'm not bashing Engle in anyway. I have used Every Grind they make for VW. Until this issue, I have never had a problem. I'm sure whoever took over the cam shop will stand by the product if they want to stay in business.

But at that time do you remember what type of lifters, valve springs and oil you were using at that time? I am not sure when the oil companies went with the low zinc content.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cal Imports bought Engle Cams last year and brought over all the grinding equipment and all of Engle's employees. Nothing has changed except the building in which they grind the cams.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedyshift74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lifters were CB light weight. The springs were K-800 and the oil I run in EVERYTHING I own is Rotella 15w40. I am not new to the VW scene. Every one builds and tunes a little differently. Just somthing that suprised me.
drivnvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Talked to them today, and that is exactly what they told me. Makes me feel better knowing that they bought the entire business and not just the name.

Going to try the engle, see how it goes. If it goes flat, I'll try out one from webbcam.
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Rotella? Reply with quote

speedyshift74 wrote:
The lifters were CB light weight. The springs were K-800 and the oil I run in EVERYTHING I own is Rotella 15w40. I am not new to the VW scene. Every one builds and tunes a little differently. Just somthing that suprised me.

By the way, Rotella has dropped allot of the zinc content out their oil in the last few years. It think it is like 900- 1000 ppm or so. It use to be 1200? Anyway I am using Brad Penn now. Less than syns and more than dino. Good compromise. 3.00 a quart at www.craigslist.com and go to Kansas City. Auto parts - BRad Penn. They are great guys less than CB.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: