Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need some shine! help me!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: I need some shine! help me! Reply with quote

OK, i just had my 55 rag delivered to my house 3 weeks ago today. it had just had the deck lid resprayed before being shipped out. (NOTE: I was told before i bought the car that the paint was not perfect, and i was/am totally fine with that. I was told it had shine but had the normal chips from driving and scratches here and there.) So his logic (the seller) was that when he had it resprayed, to not have a perfctly glossy shine to it because then the deck lid would shout out over the rest of the car... so i said alright. I figured that it would just be an "ok" paint job. Well little did i know that it was goign to be one of the worst jobs ive ever seen. It is orange peeled pretty bad and there are imperfections where the lid wasnt prepped properly. When i got it, it didnt even seem like the paint had cured yet so i didnt try to wax/polish it for awhile.
After some time has passed i hand waxed it a little bit and it looked a little bit better but still shitty. From that point on i just kind of kept it clean not knowing exactly what to do.
Today i tried waxing it again with a waxer/buffer and it is almost as if when i went to buff the wax out the paint absorbed it and wouldnt let it polish out. The lid actually has less shine and had became more dull.

If i want to try to eliminate the dullness and orange peel what is the best way to go about doing it? Wet sanding? Any tips would be great.

Last edited by Kel Dub on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pay to get it painted or did you buy it and the seller said that he would get it painted and deliver it to you? First, you never wax a fresh paint job until after 90 days. What you have done is to seal the pours of the paint and the solvents will not be able to evaporate and thats why it becomes dull. Try to get some mild wax and grease remover and wipe the surface. My question is,is the paint a single stage or a basecoat/clearcoat? Is it a solid or metallic? If its a solid single stage then you can wet sand with 2000 grit and buff. Same if its a base/clear. But if its a metallic single stage then you can't sand and buff because the sanding will distrub the metallic flakes and you will have dull flakes and see the discoloration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallic. Am i screwed?
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try some white rubbing compound, might help.
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White rubbing compound?
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kel Dub"]metallic. Am i screwed?[/quote]

Yea pertty much if you try to use some compound it won't do much to get the shine, you must repaint.
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well at least it was a shit job to start with.
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now you can get it done right which is the best part.
Kel Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a true show paint, the whole car needs to be shot so i might just wait... Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: