Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

van is burnt
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busheypapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: van is burnt Reply with quote

Long time reader first time posting. Well here goes I got an 85 westy. I have rebuilt her she was mechanicaly sound. Took her up and down the east coast last summer, was planning to do the same this summer. The problem is fuel line gave out and she burned pretty good. Insurance company coming Monday to total her. everything in engine compartment is toast. Should I let insurance comp total her or should I try to fix her. Of course the fire department broke two windows. It really did not damage cabinets or fridge or stove, just everything plastic or rubber in the engine compartment. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

P.S. change your fuel lines
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pictures.. That would help the more knowledgeable here to assess whether it is worth salvaging.

But my guess is that if the rear cabinet did not burn you were..
1. Lucky it was a small fire.
and
2. Likely that the van can be salvaged.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Ins. Co. will total nearly any old car

you can fight that, or just try to buy it back from them at the salvage price
busheypapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: burnt engine Reply with quote

I'm trying to post photos with no luck. The fire basically was just in the engine compartment. All rubber and plastic parts are gone. Alittle damage to right tail light and paint damage. Computer and everything else is gone. I have the knowledge to rebuild. I really love (Ms brown). I really don't wont to be without my van.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the computer under the rear seat? I would think it could be salvaged. Maybe you could find a donor van to get all the plastic parts and wiring off of.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious (mine ruptured but fortunately I slow to no speed and I reacted and no fire) do you know how old your fuel lines were and I'm assuming you are in a warm plus or hot zone geographically. This makes me very sad for you or anyone so to

EVERYONE CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES if you don't know how old they are no matter if they seem to be okay. Exclamation Exclamation

Last edited by DAIZEE on Fri May 21, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't the computer under the rear seat?

1.9's have them in the engine compartment.
busheypapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: daizee Reply with quote

Fuel lines were not that old. I had been having a problem lately with the line busting at the tee that goes to the fuel injectors. I had just looked up new fuel lines last night form van cafe.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use the braided original style line. Even the Conti stuff coming from Germany is only lasting about 6 months.
Get some good Gates or Goodyear hose, that you can buy at your local parts store.
I retired from the OEM fuel system industry about 2 years ago, and all the hose we used, we tested to destruction. The Goodyear and Gates hose will exceed 250 psi before it bursts.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mamayogibear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe, Do you know what type of fuel lines are avaliable through GoWesty? Do they cary a specific brand or material that makes them superior to the ones I could find at AutoZone or Kragen? I am stoked ask a retired professional a question about somethig that I knnow next to nothing about.... When buying at a local autoparts store is it one size fits all or do I need to get a specific length to make sure I have enough hose to replace all of them?
Thanks a ton
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy it back or it will never be on the road again. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to do an engine swap. Zetec or Subie.... it is all good.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2

Do the a engine swap.

By the time your find replacements for all the crispy parts, you would be well on your way to a Suby or whatever......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
firepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAN - A - GONE

No idea whose it is, it was from New Mexico and a friend sent it to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
Isn't the computer under the rear seat?

1.9's have them in the engine compartment.
Thanks. I had forgot that.

You say the vans 'rebuilt'. What is the condition of the engine? If you've rebuilt it recently you might wanna stick with the wbx'er. Otherwise spend your money on an engine swap.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it to VA I have a small shop at my house or find a Samba member that can do it on the side that lives closer it would be a lot cheaper than a shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things might have changed, but I seem to remember that you can't register or legally operate a salvage vehicle in Florida. Which has so far stopped me from looking at salvaged Vanagons from elsewhere. I think if the ins co totals it, it's totaled forever - in Florida, at least. Read up on this before Monday!

In any case, I'd fix it if at all possible. Pics, please.

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Bring it to VA I have a small shop at my house or find a Samba member that can do it on the side that lives closer it would be a lot cheaper than a shop.

I totally agree, you gonna need a engine compartment loom out of a wreck, some cleaning materials, and probably a full day of labor. No reason to let this Westy die.
Goodluck, Paul.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: total issue Reply with quote

if it gets totaled and you buy it back, you might be able to change the title over to a different name using some of the titling services out there. I know you have to do that with certain old military vehicles our here in washington state because they are technically illegal to title (m151 jeep in particular). there are options, even in Fla
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a freight train! Here is a website that sheds some light on the salvage issue: http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/salvaged-vehicles.php. Ute, I agree - there may be options, especially if the repairs can be done on the extremely cheap. (Best kind!)

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: van is burnt Reply with quote

busheypapa wrote:
Long time reader first time posting. Well here goes I got an 85 westy. I have rebuilt her she was mechanicaly sound. Took her up and down the east coast last summer, was planning to do the same this summer. The problem is fuel line gave out and she burned pretty good. Insurance company coming Monday to total her. everything in engine compartment is toast. Should I let insurance comp total her or should I try to fix her. Of course the fire department broke two windows. It really did not damage cabinets or fridge or stove, just everything plastic or rubber in the engine compartment. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

P.S. change your fuel lines

Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: