Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

van is burnt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripod808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: van is burnt Reply with quote

busheypapa wrote:
Long time reader first time posting. Well here goes I got an 85 westy. I have rebuilt her she was mechanicaly sound. Took her up and down the east coast last summer, was planning to do the same this summer. The problem is fuel line gave out and she burned pretty good. Insurance company coming Monday to total her. everything in engine compartment is toast. Should I let insurance comp total her or should I try to fix her. Of course the fire department broke two windows. It really did not damage cabinets or fridge or stove, just everything plastic or rubber in the engine compartment. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

P.S. change your fuel lines

Ouch, you learned the hard way huh?

At least your safe, right?

Waiting for my Van Cafe fuel lines.....
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Do not use the braided original style line. Even the Conti stuff coming from Germany is only lasting about 6 months.
Get some good Gates or Goodyear hose, that you can buy at your local parts store.
I retired from the OEM fuel system industry about 2 years ago, and all the hose we used, we tested to destruction. The Goodyear and Gates hose will exceed 250 psi before it bursts.

Some part numbers to look for would help us all.

I did mine 5 years ago on my Westy and need to do it on another one now too before I drive it much.

So if some German stuff is failing, then it is time for both.

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all my lines with stuff from BMW, 8mm line. i dont remember the price though Embarassed

O.P. you have a private message.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your van. If it were mine I'd keep it and swap to a Subaru engine.

I bought 5/16" hose from Kragen, it was good quality Goodyear fuel injection hose with a liner. This is the stuff:

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144

I noticed the cloth covered stuff just masks when it cracks. The cloth stuff I bought didn't even last a few years; I don't remember who made it.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you with some stuff like the harness and ECU, i have good one.

Send me a private e-mail with pictures, i will evaluate the damage and tell you if it's worthed to fix the van.

You have learned the hard way.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Salt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch that sucks. I am off to change my fuel lines!
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salt wrote:
Ouch that sucks. I am off to change my fuel lines!

Nah, no need to:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
populuxe59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripod88 and the Salt, maybe you didn't read start of thread. The owner DID change his fuel lines and they were almost new.

The "change your fuel lines!" , warning may have caused this fire.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busheypapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

After a good nite of drinking and alittle sleep. I went out this morning and started cleaning up the old girl. I figure I'll clean her up and try to pursuade the insurance adjuster not to total her. I will start repairing her as soon as I can start getting parts. Pretty much need anything that was in the engine compartment. She was an 85 fuel injected. Thanks for all the replies, will update again after Monday. Everyone who has done a upgrade to a subi or other. Please keep the offers of old parts for the 1.9 coming in. Ill be in touch
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

populuxe59 wrote:
Tripod88 and the Salt, maybe you didn't read start of thread. The owner DID change his fuel lines and they were almost new.

Well, no, he doesn't say that at all. He said that he was in the process of getting new lines from a vendor, and that the fuel lines "weren't that old", but that he had a problem with a fuel line at the injectors.

Around the injectors is probably the worst place to have leaking, with the exhaust right below.

While I'm not one of those who like to tell folks to change their lines, the warning might have saved this one. Sure didn't cause it, that's a little bizarre.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
mamayogibear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

populuxe59 wrote:

Whoa, now I'm starting to get scared here. I am a total newbie when it comes to working on cars of any kind. I was planning on changing the fuel lines on whatever van I buy in the next few weeks. Now Im questioning weither or not I should do it on my own. I wonder if a shop would be willing to inspect them after I do the job without charging too much....
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamayogibear wrote:
populuxe59 wrote:

Whoa, now I'm starting to get scared here. I am a total newbie when it comes to working on cars of any kind. I was planning on changing the fuel lines on whatever van I buy in the next few weeks. Now Im questioning weither or not I should do it on my own. I wonder if a shop would be willing to inspect them after I do the job without charging too much....

It would not be a bad idea to have a shop check your work if you are not sure. It would be cheap $30 insurance. The peace of mind is worth it as well. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a lot depend on the quality of the lines used. Are there guidelines, minimum standards, hell I'd go for the TOP quality.

I feel so sick when I see and read this. both for the OP and me to some degree. But for luck this would have been me just south of Louisville last November.

What kind of ingredient is used to put these fires out? or does it simply burn until the fuel is gone? What could/should one do initially?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencent has posted re the hose materials - appears that Goodyears latest fluoroelastomer hose is best - a thread was active in the last 2 days on that

VanCafe sells BMW hose in their kit & it is likely good enuff

clamps need to be a type that does not cut into the hose - the typical FLAPS or hardware store ones will do that, so avoid

a Halon fire extinguisher is best - carry it where you can grab it immediately and race for the rear & practice!
- need to check extinguisher periodically also
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to highjack this thread but I am in a similar situation , I bought this '89 Westy and I am about to buy a donor '89 passenger Vanagon to swap the engine , engine lid , hatch door and any other small parts needed.
Hope it all goes well , what do you guys think ? when I saw it I tought it had to be saved and bought it.

I'll take a picture of the engine compartment , but pretty much eveything is melted , no damage above engine lid except for the very rear cushion and a bit on the seat back of the rear seat. I'm just glad the fire department did not went nuts breaking windows.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is not that difficult to fix as the interior, at least from the seat back forward is not damaged. Was the rear cabinet damaged ? If so, the air condition hoses and stuff in side the rear cabinet are gone too.
Wish I have the opportunity to get a Westy like this to fix up. It will be fun. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking ?
Wonder if the fire is the result of the rear ended or the hatch has always been like that.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
I think it is not that difficult to fix as the interior, at least from the seat back forward is not damaged. Was the rear cabinet damaged ? If so, the air condition hoses and stuff in side the rear cabinet are gone too.
Wish I have the opportunity to get a Westy like this to fix up. It will be fun. How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking ?
Wonder if the fire is the result of the rear ended or the hatch has always been like that.

The rear cabinet was not damaged , inside I found extra curtains and mosquito net in good shape but I will check those hoses , the rear door was damaged I think by the fire department as they broke the lock to get in , but the fire could have happened as a result of a rear end collision like you say. I am looking forward to fixing it up , I have restored 5 baywindow buses but this is my first Vanagon and the family loves it already.
I bought it for $2600 plus some fees and transportation from Los Angeles.
Now be nice people and don't say it was too much , I know the I could get one of those for $500 dudes are coming Laughing
Anybody knows someone in South Bay San Diego that is willing to do an engine swap ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear cabinet is not damaged and that is good. But the hoses need to be changed any way as the ends in the engine compartment most likely are.

There are people in the forum think one can get a good Westy for not over 7K but I have looked for one for nearly a year and can not find one at that price range ( 87 up as I want the newer AC vent that is closer to the front. I end up getting one that lived near the California coast ( so there are some rust ) with high mileage. The mileage does not bother me as I can change everything that wears out. The rust is not that much trouble as I have a MIG welder with C25 gas. If yours is a CA Westy, it is worth over 10K if it is running. I think it will cost less than 2k to fix yours if there are no fire damage to the paint beside the rear hatch.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: