Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

remote oil filter location
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: remote oil filter location Reply with quote

OK, just got my new engine in. first go round. she has remote oil cooler.

I was curious if any one has any pictures or suggestions of best mounting locations and if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooler or a filter? I just put the new engine in my thing and its got a remote filter. I'm gonna tuck it in the rear bumper...Will post some pics as soon as I get it done. Should only be a day or 2...
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: remote oil filter location Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel more comfy with the heat blowing next to the transaxle instead of directly onto it.

Looks neat, but changing the filter makes a mess.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a setup I've had for about 10 years.
This is a Canton/Mecca filter inside the engine compartment.
Forgive the dirty appearance, this car is driven; not polished.

By the way, here's what it looks like in my '71 Super Beetle, which is my daily driver.

and from underneath:

The Beetle has a much more compact arrangement, but the main differences are the smaller C/M filter and the virtual elimination of oil hoses; just that short one seen above.

Both cars are very easy to service, and the filters are kept away from splash, rocks, etc.

Best regards, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hank0306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: becareful Reply with quote

Watch where you run the oil lines. I just installed one and ran the lines to close the exhaust (stupid I know), on my maiden voyage my Thing filled up with smoke. Luckily some smart Thing owner on this forum told me to install an VDO oil pressure gauge, I saw the pressure begin to drop and shut it down at the same time the Thing filled with smoke. Saved my new engine. Point of the story is to be mindful where you run the oil lines.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Here's a setup I've had for about 10 years.
This is a Canton/Mecca filter inside the engine compartment.
Forgive the dirty appearance, this car is driven; not polished.

Best regards, Mondshine
I like driving cars more than looking at them Wink

That is an awesome setup! Google tells me that's not a cheap filter either! I'm also curios about the other bits in the left side of your Thing's engine compartment - a sigg bottle(?) and what are those white spheres??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigg bottle holds a quart of oil for emergencies. It happens to be a perfect fit in a standard fire extinguisher bracket.

The bubble thing on the left is a vacuum reservoir from an early Rabbit, it helps the vacuum operated cruise control accelerate under load.

You can (almost) see the fitting that connects the oil filter exit with the oil thermostat. On the right side of the oil thermostat is a check valve. The line leading up from the tee leads to an "Accusump" next to the driver's seat.
The gizmo on top of the oil thermostat is the control pressure regulator; one of the components of CIS fuel injection. Also visible is the cold start valve and the thermo/time switch.

Getting back to the oil filter, I believe Canton/Mecca filters are the best you can put on an ACVW. They are 8 micron filters which do not bypass, and can handle more pressure than any VW can produce. They are not that expensive; less than $100.

Here's a sketch of the oil layout:

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine. It includes a thermostat valve near the filter that runs to an aux electric cooler (with t-stat fan switch). It's a cheesy low-budget version of mondoshine's. Mine is mounted to my rear cage, but I think a very similar setup could be mounted on the left air cleaner bracket.

Most importantly; I can remove the filter without making a frikin' mess. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: oil filter location Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics. I think I got it. and was chasing filter location. sorry if was not clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ziggy-
I was trying to sell you on the idea of locating the filter inside the engine compartment. It's only my opinion, but I think it's way better than having the filter outside in the mud splash. On the 181, there's plenty of room inside the engine compartment, and the mounting location for the aux air filter is very convenient. In addition, the fitting arrangement where the oil re-enters the engine is highly simplified if you simply drill the inner pulley tin, rather than re-shape it to accommodate the 90* fitting at the oil gallery entrance. Also, there are no hoses draped near the heat exchangers or exhaust system. Since you mentioned you are using an aux cooler, I assume you'll be using an oil thermostat. I used two bulkhead fittings which were 1/2" NPT X JIC-8 to mount the thermostat to the front bulkhead, where 2 additional hoses carry the oil to and from the oil cooler.
Very simple and clean.

On the other hand, I really like the way it turned out on the Beetle, the Thing could have been done the same way. The shorter C/M filter is more than adequate for 2 or 3 oil changes, and it's a nice, tight, and dare I say elegant solution because there aren't hoses running all over the place. The Beetle installation is less than 2 years old, so there's 10 years between the two projects. Take another look at the Beetle photo.

Whatever you decide, just remember the reason you bought the Thing...
to have fun with it.

Good luck, Mondshine
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondshine- In your sketch of oil layout what is the thing to the right of the oil cooler fan? Is there anyway you could label that sketch with what parts are which? If you have the time ,It would be a big help as I have to set up oil cooler/filter for my new motor ,thanks
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man130-
That thing is an "Accusump".
http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html
It's an aluminum cylinder with a piston which moves inside the tube.
On the side of the piston with the gauge, air is trapped under pressure as the cylinder is filled with oil on the other side of the piston, where the valve is.
This thing serves two purposes. First, it serves as a pre-oiler. Before the engine is shut down, the valve is closed. When it's time to re-start, the valve is opened and the oil galleries are pressurized as the air (under pressure) moves the piston. Pre-oiling is a nice feature if you only start the engine once a month, etc. The second function is to provide oil in situations of oil starvation; like in a hard corner or due to a pump failure. It only holds 1 1/2 quarts, but it buys a few seconds to avoid a catastrophe.
In the diagram, the part with the little arrow is a check valve, a one way valve that routes oil from the Accusump to the galleries and not back to the pump.
Here's what it looks like in the car:

My Accusump is a pretty old one, 25+ years, they look a little different now.
I bought it because of the infrequent use of the Thing, which I don't get to drive as much as I'd like to.
Good luck, Mondshine
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondshine-Thanks for the info ,Ive never heard of the accusump .sounds like a great idea for motor that arent run much.
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, did a neat job of the oil filter in my 2054 Thing.
But I now have red foam filters over the standard filters ion the Weber 34ICT's

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I don't get blasted for this one! LOL!!
I have routed my oil lines, but I am not convinced it's the safest/best route available..
Here's a couple pics. Any thoughts on a better path to take? I was thinking to go below the lower exhaust pipe, but I don't want them too exposed to road debris, yet they need to be away from the exhaust pipes.
Also, the FLAPS guys gave me heater hose(seems too pliable). Is that acceptable, or is there specific Oil line I should get???
Lastly, Does the barbed fittings and hose clamps suffice, or does this system Need AN or Ferrell type fittings??
Thanks in advance!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have heater hose it want last long.You need high pressure oil hose.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=250
The barbed fittings with probably be ok.
Are those Mann filters HP rated like the K&N HP3001 ?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgajames wrote:

I don't know what the burst pressure rating is for the Mann W719/5, but Mann is an OEM supplier of filters for VW and Porsche. Probably more significant is the difference in the bypass pressure. The HP3001 has a bypass pressure rating of 8-11 p.s.i., while the Mann filter has a bypass pressure of 2.5 bar or 36 p.s.i..
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
vgajames wrote:

I don't know what the burst pressure rating is for the Mann W719/5, but Mann is an OEM supplier of filters for VW and Porsche. Probably more significant is the difference in the bypass pressure. The HP3001 has a bypass pressure rating of 8-11 p.s.i., while the Mann filter has a bypass pressure of 2.5 bar or 36 p.s.i..

I was referring the the canister thickness.I have seen oil filters blow up on
full flow VW's.The can swells up and boom. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: