Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Bugspray
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Holley Bugspray Reply with quote

I've heard that as far as induction systems go, they suck. And not in the good way. Why were they so bad? Just wondering.

-Jeff
Doppelganger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 4BBL manifold setup from Kymco and bought a brand new Edelbrock 650cfm and jetted it per instructions. It ran terribly most of the time with a lot of stumbling and bucking not to mention overheating. I made a water injector for it to keep it cooled down which made the stumbling even worse when deccelerating followed by an acceleration. Mid range was un-believably strong! Top end did pretty good up to around 7000 RPM and then it would fall flat on it's face.
The problem is when you have so much fuel and volume going through the single tubes to the end casting and you have valve overlap from a high duration cam, you get a momentary pulse of air flowing against the incoming flow for the other cylinder. What this does is it acts very similar to a small thunder storm inside your engine, the incoming cold fuel packed air is smacked by a blast of hot air, knocking way too much of the fuel out of suspension. It isn't so noticeable on a stock engine/carburetor setup because of the milder cam characteristics, unfortunately a stock engine wouldn't be able to use a 4bbl carb though so it renders this setup between a rock and a hard place.
The only way to get around this problem would be to have individual runners all the way from the cylinders up to an intake plenum where the overlap pulse could actually be used to power the air/fuel going into the next cylinder on the firing order. This principle is being used in most modern fuel injection systems, longer runners going into a plenum.

For the Bugspray and the Johnny's Four Play, trust me, it isn't a workable setup. You will be much happier with Duals.
Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a 4bbl have to do with a Bugspray? Confused

It seems the Bugspray have gotten a bad rap mostly from folks who have either never run one,or gotta have the "bling" factor of being able claim that they have dual carbs.

I used to run them on my daily drivers for years,and my father has run them since the late '60s on various different combos. All of them have run great. They have run smooth and made good power. They can be tuned to work great.

Jets are cheap and readily availible,they are the same as the 4-bbls. And there are only two jets to change. I would only use them on a isolated runner manifold,and not a plenum.

On the down side,they tend to "ice up" in cool,damp weather untill the engine warms up. The manifold heat risers do very little,some sort of hot air riser like the factory uses would be a big help.

Its getting hard to find these carbs in good shape anymore,most have worn throttle plate bushings and accelerator pumps.

No doubt a properly tuned Kadron (Not ICTs) setup will make more power,but if you have a good one or could get one cheap for the nostalgia look,I wouldnt hesitate to run it.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bugspray was the first performance carb I every used. I used the Plembum manifold and yes it iced. Iced so bad I had to rip it off my car. Keep in mind in cold NY winters if it is icing no matter what you do with jets is going to help. I even ran tubing under the manifold form the exhaust headers but nothing worked. Maybe if you live in warmer climate all the time with separte runners. But not when you have the change of seasons. My next carb was the Holley Weber Progressive and those I ran for years. Some guys dislike that carb, but to me it was great for a daily ride and had an electic choke.
Joe
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doppelganger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Embarassed I thought the bugspray was/is the Holley 4bbl setup from the 70s.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doppelganger, the Bugspray was a massive one barrel. Which I tought was THE carb when it first came out, seeing only high end dual Webbers were your only choice. It looked nice, but ate gas, and bogged like crazy.

Joe
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bugspray was a 2100 series Holley 2 barrel, based on the Holley 94. Also used on some Ford trucks around that time.

-Jeff
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]The bugspray was a 2100 series Holley 2 barrel, based on the Holley 94. Also used on some Ford trucks around that time. [quote]

And the winner is ... Jeff

Used the Bugspray (a long time ago) ... thing iced up even here in So. Cal. Just because we didn't have anything else at the time ... rigged a high intensity off road light (this setup was on a very early Baja - before Baja kits were made) ... the light was pointed directly below the base of the carb - shining on the individual runner manifold (big bore 40 horse at the time) ... the heat from the light kept the fuel from condensing inside the manifold ... worked pretty well ... looked completely foolish ... solved the "snow on the manifold" problem.

Dave
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a Two Barrel but it sure looked like a Big one barrel. Actually it looked like a Barrel!!

Joe
Bugman Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the 2100 and 94 carbs is just one big opening. If you look down it, you'll see the seperate venturis.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I thought I was going nuts. Yes but both plates open the same time. Unlike the Holley Weber 5200 that is progressive. Actually I liked the idea of runing on a small venturi and then when 3/4 of the way to the floor the much large venturi comes into play.

Joe
Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
It looked nice, but ate gas, and bogged like crazy.

Joe

I bet If it were jetted correctly,accelerator pump set correctly,and on the correct manifold,It would not have done that.

Mine always got descent mileage,and were crisp.

My solution to icing was to start the car,run it till it warmed up,then shut it off and let it sit a few minutes. The heat would rise and melt the ice,then It wasnt a problem for the rest of the drive.

I got a daily driver with EFI and never looked back.. Smile
DirtyDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Holley Bug-Spray 2100 Reply with quote

I ran a bug spray on my baja in the early 70's on a 1835 with an Engle 120 cam and drove it to Arizona in the winter where the manifold iced up. I drilled and tapped 1/4-NPT into the exhaust after the collector (I only got a partial thread but it held) and ran 1/4" copper tubing to the air cleaner using compression fittings and it solved the problem. It never iced up in Southern California. The son-of-a bitch ran good, crapped on 289 Mustangs!
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first performance engine was a 1641 with a mild cam, headers and a bugspray. This was around 85 and the bugspray was on it way out even then. I got mine cheap.

Worked great when the weather was warm.

EDIT: Car ran 17.90's. which was a big improvement over a stock bug.
yoshi123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i just bought this one today i found it, at a shop in the bottom of a milk crate covered in duct tape, its all good...... when i tore it apart it looked super clean inside but the accelerator piston cup is dry so it doesnt pump........in the pic the carb is flipped around[/img]

the mani has heat risers,i will install it and i will post results..... i have a motor with a 64 stroke and 83 bore.....new rings and bout 40 deck
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I want to run one of these days, I have read you can run them on open plenum manifolds if you plug one idle jet and only adjust one A/F screw. I would like to see a pair of them run on IR manifolds, they show a pic of a dual Bugspray set up in the "How to hot rod your VW" book, it would make a cool vintage set up in a rat rod VW. If you want to run a velocity stack on a Bugspray you can use one for a Kadron.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yoshi123
Just so you know, that carb is on the manifold backwards.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holley Bugspray was one of the first mods I did on my old 72. It was a dual port 1776 and the Holley was the smaller cfm model. I ordered it from Red Lion many years ago. The kit was complete from air cleaner to the carb and intake. All for the whopping price of $90. It ran fantastic. FWIW, they have their place and can run great it set up right.

Wish I still had the engine/carb combo....
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi, the heat risers on that manifold are next to useless. To generate proper manifold heat you need the tube on the 3/4 side to exit down in the header collector. If you connect it on both sides near the heads all you accomplish is a pulsing of exhaust back and forth thru the riser tube. What you want is hot exhaust to be drawn across the tube at all times. The only way to do that is to use the vacuum in the collector to help pull hot exhaust thru. A while back someone on here posted a picture of a cut open stock muffler which shows how the tubing is oriented. It's not a difficult mod to make but can make a major difference in how the motor runs.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
mainfr4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth looking at this thread. Photos and other info posted. I wrapped my manifold with header wrap to help with the heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: