Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v starter bushing, do I need it
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: 12v starter bushing, do I need it Reply with quote

My engine blew on my 63 beetle. Had 6v starter and 6v flywheel. Installed the engine from my 66 beetle which had a 12v flywheel, and bought a 12v starter to go with it. Came with a bushing. unfortunately already installed the engine so don't have access of installing bushing from that side. Attempted to install bushing from starter side and did not seem to want to fit. Do I need this bushing in the 63 trans? The bushing fits snugly on the 12v starter, but seems to big to fit in the trans.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES you need the bushing! The shaft on the 6 volt starter is a larger diameter, so it has a much bigger hole then the 12 volt starter bushing.

If you just put the 12 volt starter in with the old 6 volt bushing, the starter shoft will not be centered. It will walk around and give you trouble and will probably stop working quickly if it even runs at all.

You need to REMOVE the old 6 volt bushing and install the new 12 volt one.
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you. I looked before installing the engine thinking that I had all my bases covered, but failed to see that it had a 6v bushing. Ugh! Didn't realize I had to remove the 6v bushing first then again didn't notice that it had one. Thank you

Ugh more work.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use an AutoStick starter. The pinion shaft is self supporting on those so it doesn't need a bushing.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, much simpler, thanks
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
You can also use an AutoStick starter. The pinion shaft is self supporting on those so it doesn't need a bushing.

He already bought the starter. And he has the bushing. So it wouldn't make sense to make the switch unless the place where he got the starter would do an exchange. Most places don't offer any warranty or exchange on electrical parts - including starters.

To remove the old bushing, you need to get out your tap and die set. Screw a tap into the old bushing and pull it out. Sounds simple - it will take a little prying & tugging, but if you use the right curse words it will come out!

Then just carfully tap the new one in place with a stick and small hammer.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I was merely offering an alternative. Personally, I would replace the bushing. But, I would also remove the engine (again!) to do it. It is hard enough to replace the starter with the engine in the car. I don't even want to think about the bushing. I doubt I even know the requisite number and variety of curse words to accomplish that task.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of charm, little bit of "But he said" and choosing a different location = Exchanged starter. And I didn't even have the receipt. Smile
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got the Autostick starter then? That's cool.

One thing - no one asked which 12V bushing you had? If it's the standard bushing you get when you buy a new 12V starter, that's for a 12V bellhousing. The hole in a 6V bellhousing is of a different size for that bushing to fit. So you would have needed a 6V-to-12V-adapter bushing instead anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to know. I have a 6v belhousing original from the 63.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
One thing - no one asked which 12V bushing you had? If it's the standard bushing you get when you buy a new 12V starter, that's for a 12V bellhousing. The hole in a 6V bellhousing is of a different size for that bushing to fit. So you would have needed a 6V-to-12V-adapter bushing instead anyway.

Glut is correct; the supplied bushing would've been for a straight replacement of 12 volt starter into an already-12 volt VW, you would've needed an adapter bushing. So in your situation, auto-stick starter was the best choice.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: