Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical conections in the engine bay 73 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71/72KGER Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Electrical conections in the engine bay 73 Thing Reply with quote

1973 THING

Trying to hook up the wire harnesses to the engine, when I got this Thing it had no engine or trans I installed the trans and electrical connections with help from the forum and now its time for the engine.
A few problems!

Look at the schematic for the voltage regulator and my photo and it looks like it’s upside down!?

In the Harness One photo where does the Black Wire and the Tan wire go?

In the Harness Two photo where does the Green & White wire, Green & Red and Black wire go?
On this harness I had to “skin it back” to reveal the Green & White wire

I am I missing any other wires?

When I look at the schematic it look like a piece cake and than I get to the engine bay its another story.

Also is there a Color Index foe the schematic so you can get which color wire goes where?

Thanks for you help & patience as I get it back on the road.

71/72KGER

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regulator was mirrored like yours.

Your green wire in the first picture I believe is actually blue/replaced with green (if so connected correctly) red wire is connected right

The top left screw hole is for the red and white from the generator(your missing it)

top center you have a screw whole. that where you ground goes. (Brown wire will attach to generator your missing it)

The top right terminal is for the green wire from from the generator(your missing it)

Black wire harness 1 - im not sure, might go on the coil and feed auto choke and pilot jet

Black wire in harness two goes to your coil (comes from your fuse box).

green and red in harness two if oil pressure switch. mine is not attached.
green and white in harness two mine is also not used.

Last edited by laughatgravity on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also what is the wire hanging down on your trans?

I think your missing the black wire with an in-line fuse that will attach to your coil (s13, f4 and so-on) mine runs across the fan shroud
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the wiring diagrams in the technical section this is what I came up with

Harness 1
Black – Pin 14 of Diagnostic Plug (Not needed), Monitors D+ of generator, Confirm by checking continuity to the Diag plug
Tan – Pin 6 of Diagnostic Plug (Not needed), Monitors D+ to Regulator, Confirm by checking continuity to the Diag plug

Harness 2
Green/White (actually grey) – Pin 13 of Diagnostic Plug (Not needed), Monitors points, Confirm by checking continuity to the Diag plug
Green/Red - Oil Pressure Switch. (If you ground it with ignition ON, the oil light should light up)
Black – Hot side of Coil (Pin 15) Should have 12VDC with ignition on. The Pilot Cut off and Electric Choke will be daisy-chained from that point

Mystery Wire over tranny (Green?) Looks like some PO add-on,...I haven't got a clue. Does it go back to the battery or further forward?

BTW,....If intact, the test socket is an excellent place to chase electrical gremlins. Once you know which pin is what you can use a multimeter to confirm whether power is getting strategic location through the vehicle. Just a paperclip for a test probe.
71/72KGER Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS for all your help Very Happy Very Happy
I'll start working on it again and go from there.
The green wire near the trans goes to the front to where right now I do not know.

The PO owned a audio store of some type back in the day and I worry that this is part of an alarm, why you may ask well in the engine bay drive side there is a horn and a small switch under the dash.

I can only hope that it's not in order.

71/72kger trying to get one more Thing back on the road! Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: